New build, need input on X570?

Geck0

Hi, 

My server is having a few issues and keeps going down. I cannot pinpoint the issue, but I'm overdue to build a new one. I wanted to future proof and settled on the MSI Godlike X570. However, I have concerns about the Killer NICs built in, plus this is likely overkill for an unRaid build.

What I wanted to do is:

Nvidia card for transcoding.....haven't decided on the model yet but I'm not a heavy gamer although I wouldn't write that possibility off.

128gb g.skill Trident ram. (32gb modules).

Ryzen 7 5800x (Since getting a Ryzen 5950x is impossible at a reasonable price but I can upgrade the processor later).

MSI Godlike X570 GODLIKE X570 I wanted 4 pcie slots and to virtualise Windows, etc.

It looks like the bios supports turning the iommu support on / off but there is no further details.

I've not had to deal with groupings before, so unsure how to approach figuring out if this motherboard will work.

I doubt the Killer NICS will work on unRaid, but can I pass them through to Windows? 

What is the likelihood that I won't be able to pass through the GPU?

Owing to the urgency of replacing my current motherboard, I've aimed high where I probably don't need to but will spend it if I know there aren't going to be too many compatibility issues. The MSI Tomahawk doesn't appear to have many issues from what I've read. 

I would be grateful for the input?

Edited by Geck0
4 hours ago, Geck0 said:

The MSI Tomahawk doesn't appear to have many issues from what I've read. 

Can't help you on any of the specifics that you asked about as I'm not an expert of iommu groups, etc.. but I can only add that I briefly started up the latest beta Unraid on my X570 Tomahawk just to see what it looked like for performance on my Ryzen 7 3700X.. and while I didn't actually get into running anything for dockers/vms/etc I didn't notice any obvious issues with the platform.

I know this doesn't help you for anything you asked about, sorry about that! ;)