VirtualBox in unRAID

this is what mine is

root@Tower:~# ps -ef | grep ox

root    10642    1  0 19:32 ?        00:00:00 /opt/VirtualBox/vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null

root    10655    1  0 19:32 ?        00:00:00 /opt/VirtualBox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD

root    10671    1  0 19:32 ?        00:00:00 /opt/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown

root    17397 17379  0 19:55 pts/0    00:00:00 grep ox

mine is missing that last line for headless.  any ideas on that?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That 4th line is because I have a VirtualBox running Windows XP named pytivo.

* Edit - after thinking about it. You have the correct stuff running. So I don't think stopping & restarting is going to do it.  I think it is something with phpvirtualbox. Did you make any other changes to any other files aside from config.php?

Can you manage VirtualBox from the command line?

- end Edit *

Here is a website that lists VirtualBox commands:

http://www.linuxspy.info/tag/virtaulbox-how-to-send-poweroff-single-to-vm-tells-vm-os-to-shutdown/

With VirtualBox running, if you can manage everything via command line, that determines the problem is with phpvirtualbox.

Having the GUI / web page management of phpvirtualbox is definitely convenient. I'd like to eliminate that the problem is anything with VirtualBox.

ok so i am working on that and it is sort of working, but how do i change the location of where VB installs/creates VMS.  is there a prefference file that virtualbox creates that will tell it to always create VMs in a specific spot?  and what about saving information after a reboot?  im assuming that i will have to save the VMs and all images on my data disks, but how does VB know where they are after a system reboot?  is there a config file that needs to be added? 

How do i change the location of where VB installs/creates VMS?

You can define the path of the VM when creating it.

Is there a prefference file that virtualbox creates that will tell it to always create VMs in a specific spot?
Not sure about it being stored in a preference file. The default location is a subfolder of the .VirtualBox/Machines folder.

What about saving information after a reboot?

As with all addons, when you reboot, you have to reinstall & restart. The lines to installpkg can be added to your go file to automatically restart on reboot. Pretty sure a command for "VBoxManage startvm" could go in there too.

My personal preference is to not start VirtualBox automatically. I have done it in the past, but running the commands one by one after everything else starts allows me to see if there are any errors a little easier. Also, VirtualBox is the most memory intensive program I use.

I'm assuming that i will have to save the VMs and all images on my data disks, but how does VB know where they are after a system reboot?  is there a config file that needs to be added?
If the VMs are stored on the array or cache drive, you will just user the "VBoxManage startvm" command to start any VMs you want running.

I think http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp19489456 has answers to most of that. Here is some of the relevant info:

VBoxManage createvm

This command creates a new XML virtual machine definition file.

The --name <name> parameter is required and must specify the name of the machine. Since this name is used by default as the file name of the settings file (with the extension .xml) and the machine folder (a subfolder of the .VirtualBox/Machines folder), it must conform to your host operating system's requirements for file name specifications. If the VM is later renamed, the file and folder names will change automatically.

However, if the --basefolder <path> option is used, the machine folder will be named <path>. In this case, the names of the file and the folder will not change if the virtual machine is renamed.

By default, this command only creates the XML file without automatically registering the VM with your VirtualBox installation. To register the VM instantly, use the optional --register option, or run VBoxManage registervm separately afterwards.

VBoxManage startvm

This command starts a virtual machine that is currently in the "Powered off" or "Saved" states.

The optional --type specifier determines whether the machine will be started in a window (GUI mode, which is the default) or whether the output should go through VBoxHeadless, with VRDE enabled or not; see the section called “VBoxHeadless, the remote desktop server” for more information. The list of types is subject to change, and it's not guaranteed that all types are accepted by any product variant.

The following values are allowed:

gui

Starts a VM showing a GUI window. This is the default.

headless

Starts a VM without a window for remote display only.

this is just a thought,

could it be hardware related?  i just dont know what to think.  because last night i used a fresh copy of unraid and tried just installing vbox and php and still came up with the same problem.  these are my system specs

System: ASUSTeK - M5A78L-M

CPU: AMD PhenomTM II X6 1035T - 2.6 GHz

Cache: 768 kB

Memory: 8960 MB - 1333 MHz

Network: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Connections: One

unRAID Version: unRAID Server Plus, Version 5.0-rc5

Motherboard: ASUSTeK - M5A78L-M

Processor: AMD PhenomTM II X6 1035T - 2.6 GHz

Cache: L1 = 768 kB  L2 = 3072 kB  L3 = 6144 kB 

Memory: 8960 MB - DIMM0 = 1333 MHz  DIMM1 = 1333 MHz 

Network: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Product Name: M5A78L-M LX

Version: Rev X.0x

Serial Number: MF70B9G01511542

Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Features: Board is a hosting board

Board is replaceable

Location In Chassis: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Type: Motherboard

I also installed the version for unRAID 5 beta 11 (vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-2.6.37.6.tgz) successfully.

I read that when you upgrade VirtualBox, it is recommended to reinstall the Guest Additions onto any existing VMs. I tried to reinstall the Guest Additions on my 1 VM, but it failed to automatically install. I received a message that it would mount the install files, but it did not do that either. Everything seems to be working fine for my needs with the Guest Additions from the previous version of VirtualBox. Looks to not be a big deal.

I'm getting this issue now too :(

Exception Object
(
    [message:protected] => Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)
    [string:Exception:private] => 
    [code:protected] => 64
    [file:protected] => /boot/extra/virtualbox/phpvirtualbox/lib/vboxconnector.php
    [line:protected] => 187
    [trace:Exception:private] => Array
        (
            [0] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /boot/extra/virtualbox/phpvirtualbox/lib/auth/Builtin.php
                    [line] => 45
                    [function] => connect
                    [class] => vboxconnector
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[1] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /boot/extra/virtualbox/phpvirtualbox/lib/ajax.php
                    [line] => 119
                    [function] => login
                    [class] => phpvbAuthBuiltin
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => vbox
                            [1] => pass
                        )

)

)

[previous:Exception:private] => 
)

Running rc6-test2, VB 4.1.20 with the 4.1.20 extension pack and the 4.1.20 phpvirtualbox.

Ideas? :(

[message:protected] => Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)...

Running rc6-test2, VB 4.1.20 with the 4.1.20 extension pack and the 4.1.20 phpvirtualbox.

phpvirtualbox does not have a 4.1.20. It has phpvirtualbox-4.0-7.zip which is VirtualBox 4.0.x Compatible & phpvirtualbox-4.1-8.zip which is VirtualBox 4.1.x Compatible. You want the 4.1.x Compatible version of phpvirtualbox.

What is your output when you run

ps -ef | grep ox

You should have the following 3 lines:

/opt/VirtualBox/vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown

From the wiki of common errors for phpvirtualbox found at http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/wiki/CommonErrors:

This indicates that phpVirtualBox could not connect to the vboxwebsrv server. Either the location setting in config.php is wrong, vboxwebsrv is not running on the VirtualBox host, or SELinux is blocking access to vboxwebsrv

Did you make changes to the config.php page? Is vboxwebsrv running? unRAID does not use SELinux.

Hi,

so i had things working good yesterday and i had virtualbox running good on startup.  but now when i start my machine all user shares are missing.  so one by one i removed my startup items and finally got to virtualbox and that was the problem.  has anyone seen that?  if i have it start with the machine, then the user shares are gone.  but after i disable it and reboot then they come back.  after it boots then i can manually go in and install them one by one and then it works no problem.  maybe is there a way of adding a delay in the go script? 

You can play around with this:

# determine if cache drive online, retry upto 7 times
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
do
    if [ ! -d /mnt/cache ]
    then
      sleep 15
    fi
done

# If Cache drive is online, start applications on cache drive
if [ -d /mnt/cache ]; then
  cd /mnt/cache/

# Start VirtualBox
installpkg /boot/packages/VirtualBox-4.1.18-unRAID.tgz
vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null
VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.18-78361.vbox-extpack
fi

I no longer start VirtualBox automatically, but this should still work. It mostly comes from a script on http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Install_Python_based_servers

[glow=red,2,300]Updated instructions for installing compiled versions of VirtualBox[/glow].

As of this posting, VirtualBox's most current version is 4.1.20.

Setup a web server:

Install SimpleFeature web server & plugin from http://code.google.com/p/unraid-simplefeatures/downloads/list

Set this to somewhere on your cache drive for your data directory. I used /mnt/cache/.custom/www & picked 8084 for the listening port. The port is up to you, just make sure it is not used for something else. You can test this much is running by pointing a web browser to http://tower:8084

Download the extension pack for VirtualBox:

The extension pack for VirtualBox can be found on the page https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Or direct link: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.20/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.20-80170.vbox-extpack

I downloaded this to my /boot/packages/ directory.

Download the tgz compiled package of VirtualBox:

This is a link to my Public folder for VirtualBox compiled for unRAID on my SkyDrive. I named the files vbox-<VirtualBox version number>-unRAID-<unRAID kernel version>.tgz.  Previous versions of VirtualBox are under the archived directory. If you are unsure which version you need, on your unRAID server, run the command "uname -r" without quotes. Download the correct file for your system. I placed the tgz file under /boot/packages/

If your version is not listed & you would like me to compile VirtualBox for your version, post a request to this thread.

Download phpvirtualbox:

From http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/downloads/list, download the version that is compatible with VirtualBox 4.1.x & extract it to your data directory for the SimpleFeatures web plugin (I used /mnt/cache/.custom/www).

Phpvirtualbox gives a nice graphical web page to allow you to manage VirtualBox easily. I recommend downloading it & not changing anything (including the config.php file) until you have verified it works. Most people are not having issues with VirtualBox, just phpvirtualbox. The default user / pass for phpvirtualbox is admin / admin. You can modify the config.php file to uncomment the line for "var $noAuth = true;" to have it not prompt for a username & password, but I recommend testing it first with nothing changed & entering admin / admin at the prompt.

There is a wiki page for phpvirtualbox at http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/w/list that lists some common errors with phpvirtualbox. If you have a problem with it that is not listed there, click the Issues tab link, click the dropdown box next to Search (which is default set to Open Issues) & change it to "All Issues" then use the next box to type part of your error message & click the Search button.

I will also try to help with any issues in this thread.

Install compiled VirtualBox, start vboxwebsrv & install the extension pack:

From a command line on you unRAID server, run the following 3 commands.

If you downloaded the VirtualBox tgz & extension pack to somewhere other than /boot/packages/, make sure to change the path to your download location. Also, change x.x.x to your version number.

installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-x.x.x.tgz
VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.20-80170.vbox-extpack

Installing everything should produce output similar to this:

root@tower:~# installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz
Verifying package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz.
Installing package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Executing install script for vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz.
Package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz installed.

root@tower:~# vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null
Oracle VM VirtualBox web service version 4.1.20
(C) 2005-2012 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.

root@tower:~# VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.20-80170.vbox-extpack
0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
root@tower:~# 

Also good to know:

To stop or shutdown unRAID, you will likely need to stop any running VMs & kill the processes for VirtualBox. Unmenu has a Clean Powerdown package that can probably shutdown everything, but it will kill the processes & not safely shutdown or pause any running VMs. If you do not have access through phpvirtualbox to shut down a running VM (or just want to know how to manage VirtualBox without phpvirtualbox), this website http://www.linuxspy.info/tag/virtaulbox-how-to-send-poweroff-single-to-vm-tells-vm-os-to-shutdown/ can help you do everything via a command line.

Upon each reboot of unRAID, you will need to reinstall the VirtualBox tgz package, start the webserver & install the extension pack. Any VMs you want running either need to be powered up or unpaused.

[glow=green,2,300]*EDIT* Several people have reported needing to create a directory "/boot/custom/vbox" to get VirtualBox to start. Check to see if you have this directory & if not, create it manually.[/glow]

Hopefully this will help you get VirtualBox running successfully on your unRAID system. I've tried to list some of the issues & how to find fixes, but if you have problems, post here & I will try to help.

[message:protected] => Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)...

phpvirtualbox does not have a 4.1.20. It has phpvirtualbox-4.0-7.zip which is VirtualBox 4.0.x Compatible & phpvirtualbox-4.1-8.zip which is VirtualBox 4.1.x Compatible. You want the 4.1.x Compatible version of phpvirtualbox.

I'm running 4.1-8 and this is the config file:

<?php
/**
* phpVirtualBox example configuration. 
* @version $Id: config.php-example 380 2012-04-17 17:58:57Z [email protected] $
* rename to config.php and edit as needed.
*/
class phpVBoxConfig {

/* Username / Password for system user that runs VirtualBox */
var $username = 'vbox';
var $password = 'pass';

/* SOAP URL of vboxwebsrv (not phpVirtualBox's URL) */
var $location = 'http://127.0.0.1:18083/';

/* Default language. See languages folder for more language options.
* Can also be changed in File -> Preferences -> Language in
* phpVirtualBox.
*/
var $language = 'en';

/* Set the standard VRDE Port Number / Range, e.g. 1010-1020 or 1027 */
var $vrdeports = '9000-9010';

/* Set this to true, to tell phpvirtualbox you are using Windows instead of Linux */
var $oswindows = false;

/*
* Not-so-common options / tweaking
*/

// Multiple servers example config. Uncomment (remove /* and */) to use.
// Add ALL the servers you want to use. Even if you have the server set
// above. The default server will be the first one in the list.
/*
var $servers = array(
        array(
                'name' => 'London',
                'username' => 'user',
                'password' => 'pass',
                'location' => 'http://192.168.1.1:18083/',
                'authMaster' => true // Use this server for authentication
        ),
        array(
                'name' => 'New York',
                'username' => 'user2',
                'password' => 'pass2',
                'location' => 'http://192.168.1.2:18083/'
        ),
);
*/

// Disable authentication
#var $noAuth = true;

// Host / ip to use for console connections
#var $consoleHost = '192.168.1.40';

// Disable "preview" box
#var $noPreview = true;

// Default preview box update interval in seconds
#var $previewUpdateInterval = 30;

// Preview box pixel width
#var $previewWidth = 180;

// Change default preview aspect ratio to 1. 
// http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29#Previous_and_presently_used_aspect_ratios
#var $previewAspectRatio = 1.6;

// Enable custom VM icons
#var $enableCustomIcons = true;

/*
Allow to prompt deletion hard disk files on removal from Virtual Media Manager.
If this is not set, files are always kept. If this is set, you will be PROMPTED
to decide whether or not you would like to delete the hard disk file(s) when you
remove a hard disk from virtual media manager. You may still choose not to delete
the file when prompted.
*/
var $deleteOnRemove = true;

/*
* File / Folder browser settings
*/

// Restrict file types
var $browserRestrictFiles = array('.iso','.vdi','.vmdk','.img','.bin','.vhd','.hdd','.ovf','.ova','.xml','.vbox','.cdr','.dmg','.ima','.dsk','.vfd');

// Restrict locations / folders
#var $browserRestrictFolders = array('D:\\','C:\\Users\\Ian'); // Or something like array('/home/vbox','/var/ISOs')

// Force use of local, web server based file browser instead of going through vboxwebsrv
#var $browserLocal = true;

// Disable file / folder browser.
#var $browserDisable = true;

// Disable Windows drive detection
#var $noWindowsDriveList = true;

// Just list all drives from C:\ - Z:\ without checking if they exist or not.
// This may be required on older Windows systems with more than one drive.
#var $forceWindowsAllDriveList = true;

/*
* Misc
*/

/*
* Auto-refresh interval in seconds for VirtualBox host memory usage information.
* Any value below 3 will be ignored.
*/
var $hostMemInfoRefreshInterval = 5;

/* Show % of free host memory instead of % used */
#var $hostMemInfoShowFreePct = true;

/*
* VM Memory warnings.
* If $vmMemoryStartLimitWarn is enabled, each time a VM is started through
* phpVirtualBox, it will check that the available host memory is greater than
* the base and video memory of the VM + 50MB (a little bit of overhead). If it
* is not, a confirmation dialog will be presented to confirm that you want to
* start the VM.
* If $vmMemoryOffset is set (and $vmMemoryStartLimitWarn), $vmMemoryOffset
* megabytes is subtracted from the available host memory before the check is
* performed by $vmMemoryStartLimitWarn logic. For instance it may be a good
* idea to always have VM memory requirements + 100MB free. 100 is the default.
*/
#var $vmMemoryStartLimitWarn = true;
#var $vmMemoryOffset = 100;

/*
* Display guest additions version of a running VM on its Details tab
*/
#var $enableGuestAdditionsVersionDisplay = true;

/*
* Display a "minimal" VM list. This will shrink the size of VMs in the VM list
* and exclude some information so that they take up less space.
*/
#var $vmListMinimal = true;

/* Enable Firefox's "App Tab" notification support by changing the browser's title
* when something in phpVirtualBox's VM list changes or an alert is triggered.
*/
#var $enableAppTabSupport = true;

/* Disable any of phpVirtualBox's main tabs */
#var $disableTabVMSnapshots = true; // Snapshots tab
#var $disableTabVMConsole = true; // Console tab

/* Screen resolutions for console tab */
var $consoleResolutions = array('640x480','800x600','1024x768','1280x720','1440x900');

/* Console tab keyboard layout. Currently Oracle's RDP client only supports EN and DE. */
var $consoleKeyboardLayout = 'EN';

/* Max number of network cards per VM. Do not set above VirtualBox's limit (typically  or below 1 */
var $nicMax = 4;

/* Enable advanced configuration items (normally hidden in the VirtualBox GUI)
* Note that some of these items may not be translated to languages other than English. 
*/
#var $enableAdvancedConfig = true;

/* Enable startup / shutdown configuration.
* This only works in linux and you must add the vboxinit file to
* your startup scripts list.
*/
#var $startStopConfig = true;

/* 
Sorting VM List options

var $vmListSort = 'name'; // Default. Sort VM list by VM name
var $vmListSort = 'running'; // Place running VMs at the top of the list
var $vmListSort = 'gui'; // Use drag-and-drop / manual vm ordering
var $vmListSort = 'stateChange'; // Order by VMs' last state change
var $vmListSort = 'os'; // Sort by OS type
var $vmListSort = 'function(..){...}' // uses custom javascript function. Example follows:

// This places running VMs at the top of the list, then orders by
// the last VM state change, then by name. 
var $vmListSort = 'function(a,b) {
	if(a.state == "Running" && b.state != "Running") return -1;
	if(b.state == "Running" && a.state != "Running") return 1;
	if(a.lastStateChange < b.lastStateChange) return 1;
	if(b.lastStateChange < a.lastStateChange) return -1;
	return strnatcasecmp(a.name,b.name);
}';

NOTE: In a multi-user situation, 'gui' is probably a bad idea.

*/
#var $vmListSort = 'name';

// Authentication library.
var $authLib = 'Builtin';

// VM ownership
#var $enforceVMOwnership = true;

// Per-user VM quota
#var $vmQuotaPerUser = 2;

// Allow VDE network configuration. This must be supported by the underlying VirtualBox installation!
// If you do not know what VDE networking is - you do not need it, it is probably not supported by your
// VirtualBox installation and will cause errors if enabled.
#var $enableVDE = true; 

// Disable setting SATA controllers port count to the max port number found when saving VMs.
#var $disableSataPortCount = true;

/* Enable Parallel Port configuration - EXPERIMENTAL
LPT support may or may not work for you. 
!!! VirtualBox LPT support only works in Linux. !!!
*/
#var $enableLPTConfig = true;

/* Enable HardDisk IgnoreFlush configuration. This controls the "ExtraData" setting
* in "VBoxInternal/Devices/[controller type]/0/LUN#[x]/Config/IgnoreFlush". See
* Responding to guest IDE/SATA flush requests at:
* http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch12.html#idp12757424
*/
#var $enableHDFlushConfig = true;

/*
* Cache tweaking.
*/
// Refresh VM cache when VM Settings window is loaded. Default is true. Set to false to disable.
var $vmConfigRefresh = true;

// Path
#var $cachePath = '/tmp';

/* END SETTINGS  */

}

What is your output when you run

ps -ef | grep ox

You should have the following 3 lines:

/opt/VirtualBox/vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown

I don't have those lines! Weird...

From the wiki of common errors for phpvirtualbox found at http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/wiki/CommonErrors:

This indicates that phpVirtualBox could not connect to the vboxwebsrv server. Either the location setting in config.php is wrong, vboxwebsrv is not running on the VirtualBox host, or SELinux is blocking access to vboxwebsrv

Did you make changes to the config.php page? Is vboxwebsrv running? unRAID does not use SELinux.

when I type "vboxwebsrv" into console I get:

All rights reserved.
VirtualBox web service 4.1.20 r80170 linux.x86 (Aug 20 2012 16:20:54) release log
00:00:00.000 main     Log opened 2012-08-27T11:04:14.546346000Z
00:00:00.000 main     OS Product: Linux
00:00:00.000 main     OS Release: 3.4.4-unRAID
00:00:00.000 main     OS Version: #2 SMP Thu Jul 26 10:31:59 PDT 2012
00:00:00.000 main     OS Service Pack: #2 SMP Thu Jul 26 10:31:59 PDT 2012
00:00:00.000 main     Executable: /opt/VirtualBox/vboxwebsrv
00:00:00.000 main     Process ID: 6705
00:00:00.000 main     Package type: LINUX_32BITS_GENERIC
00:00:00.382 SQPmp    Socket connection successful: host = default (localhost), port = 18083, master socket = 8

[glow=red,2,300]Updated instructions for installing compiled versions of VirtualBox[/glow].

As of this posting, VirtualBox's most current version is 4.1.20.

Thanks for this. I'm using unRAID 4.7 Everything worked fine until I tried to access phpVirtualBox, at which point I get:

Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)

Exception Object
(
    [message:protected] => Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)
    [string:private] => 
    [code:protected] => 64
    [file:protected] => /mnt/cache/.nzbget/nzbgetweb/virtualbox/lib/vboxconnector.php
    [line:protected] => 187
    [trace:private] => Array
        (
            [0] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /mnt/cache/.nzbget/nzbgetweb/virtualbox/lib/auth/Builtin.php
                    [line] => 45
                    [function] => connect
                    [class] => vboxconnector
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[1] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /mnt/cache/.nzbget/nzbgetweb/virtualbox/lib/ajax.php
                    [line] => 119
                    [function] => login
                    [class] => phpvbAuthBuiltin
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => admin
                            [1] => admin
                        )

)

)

)

**SNIP**

Edit: Install goes ok:

root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# installpkg vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz 
Verifying package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz.
Installing package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Executing install script for vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz.
Package vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz installed.

root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null
All rights reserved.
root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.20-80170.vbox-extpack 
0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# 

Run the command:

root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# ps -ef | grep ox
root      6216  1793  0 14:16 pts/0    00:00:00 grep ox
root@Tower:/boot/extra/virtualbox# 

Installed this on a completely bare UnRAID install.

Bottom line is.. it doesn't work! :(

neilt0, what is your output from "ps -ef |grep ox"? Do you also not have VirtualBox running?

Concorde Rules, not having those 3 lines means VirtualBox is not running. So phpvirtualbox has nothing to connect to. Did you by any chance reboot after you installed? The output for installing VirtualBox looks correct, it should show as running when you type "ps -ef |grep ox"

neilt0, what is your output from "ps -ef |grep ox"? Do you also not have VirtualBox running?

Concorde Rules, not having those 3 lines means VirtualBox is not running. So phpvirtualbox has nothing to connect to. Did you by any chance reboot after you installed? The output for installing VirtualBox looks correct, it should show as running when you type "ps -ef |grep ox"

Nope, ps shows nothing. Am I supposed to reboot? I didn't reboot.

No, not supposed to reboot. Rebooting in unRAID removes everything (each time you reboot, you have to reinstall any programs). I thought since everything appeared to have installed without error, but it was not showing as running, that maybe the system had been rebooted.

theone was able to install the version for unRAID 5 rc6 (vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-3.4.4.tgz)... so I am not sure why it is not working for Concorde Rules (as he is using the same file).

I have not had anyone tell me the version for 4.7 (vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-2.6.32.9.tgz) is working for them. None of them compiled with errors.

It is odd that both of you show it installed correctly, but do not have it running for either of you. Do you have enough RAM? Maybe your system runs out of memory & kills off the processes?

Something for both of you to try:

Run each line of the install & run "ps -ef |grep ox" in between.

installpkg /boot/packages/vbox-4.1.20-unRAID-x.x.x.tgz

ps -ef |grep ox

ps -ef |grep ox

VBoxManage extpack install /boot/packages/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.20-80170.vbox-extpack

ps -ef |grep ox

Let me know the output.

* Edit - added something to try to find out if VirtualBox is installing & then dying.

No, not supposed to reboot. Rebooting in unRAID removes everything (each time you reboot, you have to reinstall any programs). I thought since everything appeared to have installed without error, but it was not showing as running, that maybe the system had been rebooted.

Not in my case, as I had already added those lines to the go script.  ;D

I'm happy to type things in to debug if you know what I should type.