VirtualBox in unRAID

I had a power outage and after restart VirtualBox 4.2.4 loaded (I had already replaced go script and installation files on the boot flash drive).

I didn't have a chance to test what I suggested/asked 2 posts up.

Will try on next version of VirtualBox when exists/available.

P.S.

VirtualBox 4.2.4 works fine.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm running in to a (hopefully) minor issue with getting this setup. It seems that somehow the vbox-4.2.4-unRAID-3.4.11.tgz file from skydrive is corrupted. When I try installplg'ing it I get "xml parse error." When I try just extracting on my windows machine with winrar it tells me it's corrupted. I downloaded it 3 different times. Does anyone have a good copy of it?

Skydrive doesn't show an md5 and I don't see it in the version_info file either, but the md5 I'm getting is f77114990d4de30420194859657f327e.

Thanks.

Edit: nevermind, I was accidentally using installplg instead of installpkg. Ignore me. :P

I did posted last month on this same topic about usb... concerning the issue that usb devices would not get listed unless a new device connected and vbox killed/restarted (like sureguy said on page 16) I did apparently found how to fix it, just use this on the go file before installing/starting vbox:

groupadd vboxusers

usermod -aG vboxusers root

usermod -aG vboxusers nobody

mkdir /dev/vboxusb -m 0750

chown root:vboxusers /dev/vboxusb

btw, at least on my system it is still very very slow to use usb devices on vm's... in fact slower if I enable usb2 support on the VM settings than if I disable it... :( with usb2 enabled I can access a pen drive at around 0.5-1 MB/s and with usb2 disable near 3 MB/s... anyone have any idea why this?  I did searched a lot and can find other users reporting similar problem with virtualbox, and apparently no solution, but some say they can get it to work a lot better speed...

• 1 month later...

I did posted last month on this same topic about usb... concerning the issue that usb devices would not get listed unless a new device connected and vbox killed/restarted (like sureguy said on page 16) I did apparently found how to fix it, just use this on the go file before installing/starting vbox:

groupadd vboxusers

usermod -aG vboxusers root

usermod -aG vboxusers nobody

mkdir /dev/vboxusb -m 0750

chown root:vboxusers /dev/vboxusb

You Sir are awesome! THANK YOU!

@lainie, if you allow me, I would suggest to inject the above lines to the 'doinst.sh' for the next release. This would prevent this clutter in the go script and more belongs to there anyway :)

Yes, could be an idea to include it on doinst.sh, but I don't really mind having it on the go file anyway... :)  Also I think the issue is probably related to the vbox udev rules for usb being added after boot (when vbox package gets installed) then only after we plug a new usb device after the rules are in place they are triggered... guess that maybe an "udevadm trigger" could probably also help on that (I needed it for other similar thing recently)... anyway creating that /dev/vboxusb dir with these permissions is exactly one of the things that the script that is called from the udev rules does after a new usb device is connected.

Btw, olympia, just a question, if you share an usb flash drive (not recommended you share the unraid OS one, as that probably could cause problems/corruption...) or an external hard disk... do you get any decent speeds to access such devices from the vm's? I do get really crap speed (see my last post at: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2973 ), please confirm me if you get the same problem.

I can confirm this. It is even worst for me because I only have ~850KB/sec regardless of USB 2.0 is enabled or disabled.

With regards to the usb fix, I don't mind to have it in the go file either, but since this belongs to the installation of vbox, imo this more belongs to the installation script, not to the go script.

Cheers again for the solution!

I wanted to say thank you to lainie, nars, and dnoyeb for their help. I got the phpVirtualBox working and am super excited!!

I had to do the modified series of commands dnoyeb mentioned in

cd /boot/custom/vbox

installpkg *.t*z

VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.4-81684.vbox-extpack

VBoxManage setproperty websrvauthlibrary null

vboxwebsrv -b -H 127.0.0.1 --logfile /dev/null >/dev/null

I found that if I didn't do it in that proper order it would cause phpvirtualbox login errors.

I actually only ran the last lines and at the time I was in root not the vbox directory.

It seemed several times people mentioned modifying the config.php file, but somehow I was under the impression I could get it working then worry about modifying it. To be clear any new users, you *must* edit this file (be to just do it with vi editor if using Windows+Putty) or you will not be able to access the phpvbox. I was confused because the phpvbox also has a user and password (admin / admin) but you must enter the unraid username and password into the config.php file. For example, if your user is "root" and password is "MoreSecureThanThis" (without quotes), this should appear in the file at the top:

/* Username / Password for system user that runs VirtualBox */
var $username = 'root';
var $password = 'MoreSecureThanThis';

after modifying this file and executing the above 3 commands starting with vbox, everything worked :)

strange, I didn't needed to add user/pass there... only uncomment noAuth line

Indeed, if you don't what authentication then uncommenting the noAuth line will do the trick. This is also how I use it.

I don't see any need to use authentication. If someone unauthorized already has access to my unRAID IP then I am screwed already :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a note that like drnackers a page back, I was getting the "invalid module format" errors when using the VirtualBox package for RC11 with a version of Unraid compiled for use with tvheadend (i.e., with the media tree compiled).  The exact errors are:

Feb 18 15:44:35 Tower kernel: vboxdrv: version magic '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload CORE2 ' should be '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload K8 '

Feb 18 15:44:35 Tower kernel: vboxnetadp: version magic '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload CORE2 ' should be '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload K8 '

Feb 18 15:44:35 Tower kernel: vboxnetflt: version magic '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload CORE2 ' should be '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload K8 '

Feb 18 15:46:15 Tower kernel: vboxdrv: version magic '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload CORE2 ' should be '3.4.26-unRAID SMP mod_unload K8 '

I had to recompile the virtualbox package myself and all is working now, but just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone had any thoughts on if there was any way this might be fixed in future releases.

I had to recompile the virtualbox package myself and all is working now, but just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone had any thoughts on if there was any way this might be fixed in future releases.

I'm not sure how there could be a version compiled that would work for every possible custom configuration. VirtualBox already requires a different package for every kernel (& the kernel changes with pretty much every beta/RC version)... if your kernel is customized even further, I think the answer is to compile VirtualBox on your custom system (like you & the previous poster on this issue did).

I am open to suggestions if someone comes up with a better way.

Finally able to install VBOX on Unraid. So excited.

One issue that still happening is that my guest clock keep drifting (slow). After 10 minutes, it will be behind like 2 minutes.

I have try disable time sync to host, etc, still no luck.

My install is latest unraid on HP N36L with 16GB ram, and VBOX 4.2.6. Guest is Windows 2003 Ent.

Anybody else have the same issue?

I'm not sure how there could be a version compiled that would work for every possible custom configuration. VirtualBox already requires a different package for every kernel (& the kernel changes with pretty much every beta/RC version)... if your kernel is customized even further, I think the answer is to compile VirtualBox on your custom system (like you & the previous poster on this issue did).

I am open to suggestions if someone comes up with a better way.

I'm trying to determine what the CORE2 vs K8 could even apply to...perhaps there is something I can do differently when I build my custom kernel so that your default Virtualbox package works (though by the time I've gone the distance to compile the kernel, I guess adding in Virtualbox isn't too difficult).

Finally able to install VBOX on Unraid. So excited.

One issue that still happening is that my guest clock keep drifting (slow). After 10 minutes, it will be behind like 2 minutes.

I have try disable time sync to host, etc, still no luck.

My install is latest unraid on HP N36L with 16GB ram, and VBOX 4.2.6. Guest is Windows 2003 Ent.

Anybody else have the same issue?

Do you have the guest utilities and drivers installed on your Windows 2003?

Thanks everyone involved with this package & the new plugin. I am currently using the plugin and have recently upgraded to v0.5. My problem is after a reboot of unraid all my VM's are lost from phpVirtualBox. The VDI files remain but cant be re-attached because of this error.

"VirtualBox error: Extra content at the end of the document. Location: '/mnt/cache/Applications/newznab.vdi', line 1 (0), column 2. /home/vbox/tinderbox/4.2-lnx32-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[469] (nsresult Machine::initFromSettings(VirtualBox*, const com::Utf8Str&, const com::Guid*)) (0x80004005)"

This is my VBoxSVC.log which shows a file not found for my *.vbox on starting up. Does anyone know where the vbox file is located ?

00:00:00.128630 nspr-2  Loading settings file "/root/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" with version "1.12-linux"

00:00:00.351305 nspr-2  Successfully initialised host USB using sysfs

00:00:00.353126 nspr-2  VDInit finished

00:00:00.356476 nspr-2  ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Runtime error opening '/root/VirtualBox VMs/newznab/newznab.vbox' for reading: -102 (File not found.).

Thanks

Will

• 3 months later...

Trying compiling VirtualBox package but got this error, maybe we are missing something in RC13 ?? compiling worked fine in RC12a

I'm on my VM when doing compiling

This the guide -> http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_VirtualBox_in_unRAID

root@Tower-VM:/usr/src/linux# make oldconfig && make
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:157,
                 from /usr/include/limits.h:145,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.4.4/include-fixed/limits.h:122,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.4.4/include-fixed/syslimits.h:7,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.4.4/include-fixed/limits.h:11,
                 from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:114:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:39:26: error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:40,
                 from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:25,
                 from /usr/include/arpa/inet.h:23,
                 from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:116:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:367:24: error: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function ‘parse_dep_file’:
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:322: error: ‘PATH_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:322: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:322: error: for each function it appears in.)
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:322: warning: unused variable ‘s’
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

I am getting the same error from make oldconfig as peter_sm. rc13_wiki_method.txt attached showing error.

I have researched the error for a bit... several of the posts on the error recommend installing kernel-headers. This is not something I have needed to separately install before. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a kernel-headers-3.9.3_smp-x86-1.txz available yet.

rc13_wiki_method.txt

Since I compile my vbox files inside of a virtual machine, I have tried several different kernel-header versions.  The closest version I found was kernel-headers-3.8.13_smp-x86-1.txz. I tried other older versions as well, but 3.8.13 seemed to get a little further before spewing lots of errors. rc13_with_3.8.13headers.zip attached - it is a continuation after the rc13_wiki_method failed, zipped as it was too large otherwise.

Before following the wiki page Installing VirtualBox in unRAID I had never made my own headers. While I have compiled many versions of VirtualBox for all the past versions of unRAID, I am a little lost now. This seems to be more slackware specific. My Linux experience is with other distributions of Linux... unRAID is my first Slackware experience. Can anyone help with this error or point me in the right direction, please?

rc13_with_3.8.13headers.zip

I didn't tried it yet as I'm still not running rc13 on my server, waiting Tom comment the sync issue, make sure all ok, etc... as I have no backup of my data, need to care about it :)

However I have an idea that maybe can help you on that problem... I guess you are linking /usr/include/asm-generic, /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/... as stated on the wiki page about compiling vbox, right?  I did some research some time ago about that and from what I did read I don't think such procedure is the most correct... and it may be the cause of the problem you get with the new kernel... from what I did read you should always have at /usr/src/linux/... the kernel headers of the version that was used to compile your glibc and not the the ones from some new kernel... then instead of creating such symlinks as stated on the wiki, just try to install this package:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz

(these are the kernel headers that have been used to to compile your glibc... I think these should be the ones to use? someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

I do usually use the slightly modified script below to setup "development environment", compile kernel, ...  always with no problem, but again didn't it yet with rc13.

#!/bin/bash
SDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f ${BASH_SOURCE[0]})")"
KVER=`uname -r | cut -d"-" -f1`
KDIR="/usr/src/linux-$(uname -r)"

[ ! -d "$SDIR/packages" ] && mkdir $SDIR/packages

cd $SDIR/packages

[ ! -e "linux-$KVER.tar.gz" ] && wget --no-check-certificate http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-$KVER.tar.gz
[ ! -e "gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz
[ ! -e "glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/l/glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz
[ ! -e "binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "make-3.81-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/make-3.81-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/a/cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz
[ ! -e "perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/a/patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/l/ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/l/mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz
[ ! -e "pkg-config-0.23-i486-2.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/pkg-config-0.23-i486-2.txz
[ ! -e "bc-1.06.95-i486-1.txz" ] && wget http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/ap/bc-1.06.95-i486-1.txz

installpkg *.txz

[ ! -e "${KDIR}_original" ] && mv $KDIR ${KDIR}_original
[ -e "$KDIR" ] && rm -rf $KDIR
[ -e "/usr/src/linux-$KVER" ] && rm -rf /usr/src/linux-$KVER
tar -C /usr/src/ -zxf $SDIR/packages/linux-$KVER.tar.gz
mv /usr/src/linux-$KVER $KDIR

[ -e "/usr/src/linux" ] && rm -rf /usr/src/linux
ln -sf $KDIR /usr/src/linux

cp -rf ${KDIR}_original/. /usr/src/linux/

cd /usr/src/linux && yes "" | make oldconfig && make

@nars - While trying different versions of kernel-headers, I did test kernel-headers-2.6.33.4-x86-1.txz (a generic version) & kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz (the one you have linked). Neither worked while using the directions I normally follow (that normally work for me) from the wiki page. I will try again without using linking to see if that makes a difference.

Using kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz & not linking to /usr/include/asm-generic, /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm definitely got the process further along with less errors. Unfortunately it did still error, see below. Extracting the kernel completes fine, but is extremely verbose - I have shortened it with "...".

Tower login: root
Linux 3.9.3-unRAID.
root@Tower:~# cd /mnt/disk1/vbpreinst/
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# installpkg *.t?z
Verifying package binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz.
Installing package binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# binutils (GNU binary development tools)
#
# Binutils is a collection of binary utilities.  It includes "as" (the 
# portable GNU assembler), "ld" (the GNU linker), and other utilities
# for creating and working with binary programs.
#
# These utilities are REQUIRED to compile C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran,
# and most other programming languages.
#
Executing install script for binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz.
Package binutils-2.20.51.0.8-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz.
Installing package cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# cxxlibs (C++ shared library compatibility package)
#
# This package contains the shared libraries needed to run dynamically
# linked C++ binaries linked with older versions of libstdc++.
#
Executing install script for cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz.
Package cxxlibs-6.0.13-i486-2.txz installed.

Verifying package gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz.
Installing package gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# gcc (Base GCC package with C support)
#
# GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection.
#
# This package contains those parts of the compiler collection needed to
# compile C code.  Other packages add C++, Fortran, Objective-C, and
# Java support to the compiler core.
#
Executing install script for gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz.
Package gcc-4.4.4-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz.
Installing package gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# gcc-g++ (C++ for GCC)
#
# C++ support for the GNU Compiler Collection.
#
# This package contains those parts of the compiler collection needed to
# compile C++ code.  The base gcc package is also required.
#
Executing install script for gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz.
Package gcc-g++-4.4.4-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz.
Installing package glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# glibc (GNU C libraries)
#
# This package contains the GNU C libraries and header files.  The GNU
# C library was written originally by Roland McGrath, and is currently
# maintained by Ulrich Drepper.  Some parts of the library were
# contributed or worked on by other people.
#
# You'll need this package to compile programs.
#
Executing install script for glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz.
Package glibc-2.11.1-i486-3.txz installed.

Verifying package make-3.81-i486-1.txz.
Installing package make-3.81-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# make (GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs)
#
# This is the GNU implementation of make, which was written by Richard
# Stallman and Roland McGrath.  The purpose of the make utility is to
# determine automatically which pieces of a large program need to be 
# recompiled, and issue the commands to recompile them.  
#
# This is needed to compile just about any major C program, including
# the Linux kernel.
#
Executing install script for make-3.81-i486-1.txz.
Package make-3.81-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz.
Installing package mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# mpfr (Multiple-Precision Floating-Point Reliable Library)
#
# The MPFR library is a C library for multiple-precision floating-point
# computations with exact rounding (also called correct rounding).
# It is based on the GMP multiple-precision library.
# The main goal of MPFR is to provide a library for multiple-precision
# floating-point computation which is both efficient and has 
# well-defined semantics.  It copies the good ideas from the
# ANSI/IEEE-754 standard for double-precision floating-point arithmetic
# (53-bit mantissa).
#
Executing install script for mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz.
Package mpfr-2.4.2p03-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz.
Installing package ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# ncurses (CRT screen handling and optimization package)
#
# The ncurses (new curses) library is a free software emulation of
# curses in System V Release 4.0, and more.  It uses terminfo format,
# supports pads and color and multiple highlights and forms characters
# and function-key mapping, and has all the other SYSV-curses
# enhancements over BSD curses.
#
Executing install script for ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz.
Package ncurses-5.7-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz.
Installing package patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# patch (apply a diff file to an original file or files)
#
# Patch is a utility used to apply diffs (or patches) to files, which
# are usually source code.
#
# Larry Wall wrote the original version of patch.  Paul Eggert removed
# patch's arbitrary limits; added support for binary files, setting
# file times, and deleting files; and made it conform better to POSIX.
# Other  contributors include Wayne Davison, who added unidiff support,
# and David MacKenzie, who added configuration and backup support.
#
Package patch-2.5.4-i486-1.txz installed.

Verifying package perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz.
Installing package perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# perl (Practical Extraction and Report Language)
#
# Larry Wall's "Practical Extraction and Report Language".  Perl is a
# language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting
# information from those text files, and printing reports based on that
# information.  It's also a good language for many system management
# tasks.  The language is intended to be practical (easy to use,
# efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).
#
Executing install script for perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz.
Package perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz installed.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# mv /usr/src/linux-3.9.3-unRAID /usr/src/linux_original 
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# tar -C /usr/src -zxvf ../ur5rc13/linux-3.9.3.tar.gz 
linux-3.9.3/
linux-3.9.3/.gitignore
linux-3.9.3/.mailmap
linux-3.9.3/virt/kvm/iommu.c
linux-3.9.3/virt/kvm/irq_comm.c
linux-3.9.3/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# ln -sf /usr/src/linux-3.9.3 /usr/src/linux
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# cp -rf /usr/src/linux_original/* /usr/src/linux/
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# cp -f /usr/src/linux_original/.config /usr/src/linux/
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# [ -e "/usr/include/linux" ] && mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/linux_original
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# [ -e "/usr/include/asm-generic" ] && mv /usr/include/asm-generic /usr/include/asm-generic_original
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# [ -e "/usr/include/asm" ] && mv /usr/include/asm /usr/include/asm_original
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vbpreinst# cd ../ur5rc13
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/ur5rc13# installpkg kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz 
Verifying package kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz.
Installing package kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)
#
# These are the include files from the Linux kernel.
#
# You'll need these to compile most system software for Linux.
#
Executing install script for kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz.
Package kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz installed.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/ur5rc13# cd /usr/src/linux
root@Tower:/usr/src/linux# make oldconfig && make
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_64.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_x32.h
  SYSTBL  arch/x86/syscalls/../include/generated/asm/syscalls_32.h
  HOSTCC  arch/x86/tools/relocs
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/clkdev.h
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
  GEN     include/generated/bounds.h
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
  GEN     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  GEN     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/sortextable
  CC      init/main.o
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  UPD     include/generated/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  CC      init/do_mounts.o
  CC      init/do_mounts_initrd.o
  LD      init/mounts.o
  CC      init/initramfs.o
  CC      init/calibrate.o
  CC      init/init_task.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  HOSTCC  usr/gen_init_cpio
  GEN     usr/initramfs_data.cpio
  AS      usr/initramfs_data.o
  LD      usr/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/crypto/crc32c-intel_glue.o
  LD      arch/x86/crypto/crc32c-intel.o
  LD      arch/x86/crypto/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/process_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/signal.o
  AS      arch/x86/kernel/entry_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/traps.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/irq.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/irq_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/time.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/ioport.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/ldt.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/nmi.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/setup.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/x86_init.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/i8259.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/irqinit.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/jump_label.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/irq_work.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/probe_roms.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/i386_ksyms_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/syscall_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/bootflag.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/e820.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/pci-dma.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/quirks.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/topology.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/kdebugfs.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/alternative.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/i8253.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/pci-nommu.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/hw_breakpoint.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/tsc.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/io_delay.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/rtc.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/pci-iommu_table.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/resource.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/process.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/i387.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/xsave.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/ptrace.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/tls.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/step.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/i8237.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/acpi/boot.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/acpi/sleep.o
  AS      arch/x86/kernel/acpi/wakeup_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/acpi/cstate.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/acpi/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic_noop.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/ipi.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/hw_nmi.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/io_apic.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/apic/probe_32.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/apic/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel_cacheinfo.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/scattered.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/topology.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.o
  MKCAP   arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.c
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/capflags.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/powerflags.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/vmware.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/hypervisor.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mshyperv.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/rdrand.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/match.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/bugs.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/amd.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/centaur.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/transmeta.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_amd.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_p6.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_knc.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_p4.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel_lbr.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel_ds.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_intel_uncore.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce-severity.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_intel.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce_amd.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/threshold.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/therm_throt.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/main.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/if.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/generic.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/cleanup.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/amd.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/cyrix.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/centaur.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perfctr-watchdog.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_amd_ibs.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/cpu/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/kprobes/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/reboot.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/msr.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/cpuid.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/early-quirks.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/smp.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/tsc_sync.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/setup_percpu.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/mpparse.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/reboot_fixups_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/trace_clock.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/module.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/doublefault_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/hpet.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/amd_nb.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/pcspeaker.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/perf_regs.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o
  AS      arch/x86/kernel/head_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/head32.o
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/head.o
  LDS     arch/x86/kernel/vmlinux.lds
  CC      arch/x86/mm/init.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/init_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/fault.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/ioremap.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/extable.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pageattr.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/mmap.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pat.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pgtable.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/physaddr.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/gup.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/setup_nx.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pat_rbtree.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/tlb.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/pgtable_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/iomap_32.o
  CC      arch/x86/mm/highmem_32.o
  LD      arch/x86/mm/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/net/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/ce4100/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/efi/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/geode/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/goldfish/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/iris/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/mrst/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/olpc/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/scx200/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/platform/sfi/sfi.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/sfi/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/ts5500/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/uv/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/visws/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/platform/built-in.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/init.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/header.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/trampoline_32.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/stack.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/reboot.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/wakeup_asm.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/wakemain.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/video-mode.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/copy.o
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rm/bioscall.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/regs.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/video-vga.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/video-vesa.o
  CC      arch/x86/realmode/rm/video-bios.o
  PASYMS  arch/x86/realmode/rm/pasyms.h
  LDS     arch/x86/realmode/rm/realmode.lds
  LD      arch/x86/realmode/rm/realmode.elf
  RELOCS  arch/x86/realmode/rm/realmode.relocs
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/realmode/rm/realmode.bin
  AS      arch/x86/realmode/rmpiggy.o
  LD      arch/x86/realmode/built-in.o
  LDS     arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/vdso32.lds
  AS      arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/note.o
  AS      arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/int80.o
  VDSO    arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-int80.so.dbg
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-int80.so
  AS      arch/x86/vdso/vdso32/sysenter.o
  VDSO    arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-sysenter.so.dbg
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-sysenter.so
  AS      arch/x86/vdso/vdso32.o
  CC      arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-setup.o
  VDSOSYM arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-int80-syms.lds
  VDSOSYM arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-sysenter-syms.lds
  VDSOSYM arch/x86/vdso/vdso32-syms.lds
  LD      arch/x86/vdso/built-in.o
  LD      arch/x86/built-in.o
  CC      kernel/fork.o
  CC      kernel/exec_domain.o
  CC      kernel/panic.o
  CC      kernel/printk.o
  CC      kernel/cpu.o
  CC      kernel/exit.o
  CC      kernel/itimer.o
  HZFILE  kernel/hz.bc
  BC      kernel/timeconst.h
/bin/sh: bc: command not found
make[1]: *** [kernel/timeconst.h] Error 127
make: *** [kernel] Error 2
root@Tower:/usr/src/linux# 

Any further suggestions? It appears bc is required to build kernels greater than 3.9. Having trouble finding a program for slackware just named "bc", keep hitting glibc or similar where bc happens to be part of a larger name.

@ lainie

try my kernel header 3.9.3 ;)

https://truck.it/p/KBtOWtNGsY

and install this package

Any further suggestions? It appears bc is required to build kernels greater than 3.9. Having trouble finding a program for slackware just named "bc", keep hitting glibc or similar where bc happens to be part of a larger name.

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/ap/bc-1.06.95-i486-1.txz

this resolve your issue