VirtualBox in unRAID

I did just tried to build it on a test vm with rc13 and exactly as piotrasd stated it needs bc package.

However piotrasd: why use latest kernel headers? In all pages I did read it said that we should have at /usr/src/linux/... the headers that have been used to compile our glibc, and we use glibc from slackware 13.1 packages then shouldn't we also use headers from it?

Btw, I will edit my modded script above to get bc.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope this issue can be resolved, I would hate not to upgrade to newer versions of unRAID because of this.

And I won't - I need the VM too much.

I wish I could help but I am not knowledgeable in the field of Linux distributions and compilation :( Sorry...

However piotrasd: why use latest kernel headers? In all pages I did read it said that we should have at /usr/src/linux/... the headers that have been used to compile our glibc, and we use glibc from slackware 13.1 packages then shouldn't we also use headers from it?

i had own environment on full slackware 13.1 - i can making header 3.9.3 for glibc version of unraid

(but im alwayes use generic downloaded, im never had problem with stuff like VDR - where i need kernel source of unraid and header to compile this software, im suppose with VirtualBox you dont will be also)

Now why could I not find that when I searched their filelist? I have installed the bc package, not rebooted (using kernel-headers 2.6.33.4) & ran "make oldconfig && make"... it just completed with no errors (this part takes forever). I will reboot to try piotrasd's 3.9.3 kernel-headers, but using http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/kernel-headers-2.6.33.4_smp-x86-1.txz worked.

Seems like the changes for rc13 require:

1.) Install http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/ap/bc-1.06.95-i486-1.txz

2.) Install kernel-headers.

The rest of the wiki is still valid, but do not run these 3 commands:

$ ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/asm-generic /usr/include/asm-generic
$ ln -sf /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
$ ln -sf /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/include/asm /usr/include/asm

Thank you piotrasd & nars for your help!

I may try to update the wiki once I get this new version compiled & uploaded.

I hope this issue can be resolved, I would hate not to upgrade to newer versions of unRAID because of this.

And I won't - I need the VM too much.

I wish I could help but I am not knowledgeable in the field of Linux distributions and compilation :( Sorry...

nars & piotrasd came through. I will have vbox compiled for the new RC 13 soon. Testing with piotrasd's kernel-headers now.

It should also work, I did tried it before with older versions, and yes both worked... my doubt is just what is the more correct thing: use headers to match kernel or to match the ones glibc was compiled with? (as I said before I did read on a few sites recommendations to use ones glibc was compiled with, but I'm not a linux guru to know much further about that subject). Would be nice maybe to know what ones Tom uses to compile unraid kernel?

It should also work, I did tried it before with older versions, and yes both worked... my doubt is just what is the more correct thing: use headers to match kernel or to match the ones glibc was compiled with? (as I said before I did read recommendations to use last ones on a few sites, but I'm not a linux guru to know much further about that subject).

Best option :) then eveything match ;)

NOTE: anyway i think everyone can this make myself, im use command

Code: [select]

make headers_install ARCH=i386 INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/usr/include

in /usr/src/linux-3.9.3-unRAID (in full source of kernel)

piotrasd, nars, lainie !!!! You are ACES !!!

Problem seems to have been solved in under 6 hours.

This is another testament to the wonderful people on this forum.  :)

I blame how long the process takes to complete for it taking that long. They answered my posts for assistance extremely quickly... took me longer to test out their suggestions than it did to get responses.

Thanks very much for the help. I learned from it, which I enjoy doing.

That's community work ;)  And I did replied it that quick as I have been looking/researching before at how to compile vbox and some other things (some - other than vbox - didn't really compiled even on older kernels with these symlinks - and even vbox there was warnings about headers not proper for userspace app, you probably did always see that lainie? - that's why I searched a bit about that), but I'm not a linux guru at all, just reading over there, testing, etc :)

Just for curiosity how much time you take to compile kernel and vbox lainie? It takes me about 10min each maybe, did not measure it exactly but near that... having all data stored at ram fs... not sure if it would be much different if storing at hdds but maybe some difference...

Btw, I'm curious to test vbox usb sharing with latest kernel see if it continues damn slow as before, but I do not have rc13 yet on my server, I'm just a bit worried about the sync issue and the mysterious writes on it :(

Just for curiosity how much time you take to compile kernel and vbox lainie? It takes me about 10min each maybe, did not measure it exactly but near that... having all data stored at ram fs... not sure if it would be much different if storing at hdds but maybe some difference...

It takes a few minutes to install the needed programs & download any new files (either a new kernel or the new RC) then 10-15 minutes once I hit the "make oldconfig && make" command for that to finish. The rest is pretty quick.

ok thanks

I am on 5.0 rc12, used the virtual box plugin which seemed to install successfully.

used the simpleFeatures web plugin.

I receive the "PHP does not have the SOAP extension enabled." error and then the attached error I posted earlier.

Pretty new to this stuff so any additional information that you need I am happy to search for and provide.

I'm getting the same thing with the SOAP error. I'll update this when I figure it out. To be clear I fought thru the stupid simple features bullshit to get that installed. So if you're at that point... well let's continue.

At line 980 of /boot/config/simpleFeatures/php.ini

Uncomment that line.