Unraid OS version 6.9.0 available

6.9.0-rc2 -> 6.9.0, smooth, no issues.

One tiny data point: After the upgrade, I received three notice messages for 3 of my drives:

"Notice [TOWER] - Disk 3 returned to normal utilization level"

I never saw a warning state while in previous versions. Have the default utilization thresholds changed?

Great job, Limetech folks!!

5 hours ago, Arragon said:

After updating to 6.9.0 all my user shares are gone. /mnt looks like this

d---------  1 root   root    0 Jan  1  1970 user/

and I can't change permission on that

# chmod 1777 /mnt/user
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/user': No such file or directory

You should create a new post within General Support and include  your diagnostics

Update from 6.8.3 went smooth as always. Temp sensors on TRX40 are working now. 😘

Switching from old pci-vfio in syslinux config to the new method also went without any issues.

But a small thing I noticed. Syslog isn't starting with the normal boot process entries. The first entries for me are from some plugin checks/updates

grafik.thumb.png.137561cc1e4e361031fb238ce15ca767.png

Is this normal behaviour? Tried it with Firefox (main Browser) and Brave (never used for my server before). Same result. Is there a max line limit now for showing the logs and I can't find the settings?

I'm excited to upgrade, great work guys!  Just a quick question (and I read the release notes), but is their any major changes to networking functionality?  Specifically communication between bridges and/or a method to set a default bridge for docker containers (similar to what exists for VM's)

Thanks again for all the hard work everyone!!

~Spritz

10 minutes ago, bastl said:

Update from 6.8.3 went smooth as always. Temp sensors on TRX40 are working now. 😘

Switching from old pci-vfio in syslinux config to the new method also went without any issues.

But a small thing I noticed. Syslog isn't starting with the normal boot process entries. The first entries for me are from some plugin checks/updates

grafik.thumb.png.137561cc1e4e361031fb238ce15ca767.png

Is this normal behaviour? Tried it with Firefox (main Browser) and Brave (never used for my server before). Same result. Is there a max line limit now for showing the logs and I can't find the settings?

I believe this is due to the size of the syslog buffer provided to the WebUI and it was mentioned in one of the beta or RC threads. The full syslog should still be available on the filesystem itself.

EDIT: Bug report already opened for it: 

Edited by weirdcrap
3 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

I believe this is due to the size of the syslog buffer provided to the WebUI and it was mentioned in one of the beta or RC threads. The full syslog should still be available on the filesystem itself.

Thx for the info. Is there any settings to show again the full syslog inside the WebUI?

Edit:

I was to quick. Noticed your edit to late. Thanks for the link

Edited by bastl
2 minutes ago, bastl said:

Thx for the info. Is there any settings to show again the full syslog inside the WebUI?

Not that I'm aware of at this time. I assume it would be rather trivial to increase the buffer size but I'm not sure where in UnRAID this is handled without digging through code.

If you follow that bug report @John_Mopened I bet LimeTech will come up with a workaround pretty quick for those who want it.

6 minutes ago, bastl said:

Edit:

I was to quick. Noticed your edit to late. Thanks for the link

sed -i 's/1000/3000/' /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/Syslog.php

run this in terminal to fix.

@limetech@SpencerJ

Can this be appended to the first post so people know if they revert they need to add the cache back in as I think its buried in the release notes and people are not seeing it..

Note: A pre-6.9.0 cache disk/pool is now simply a pool named "cache".  When you upgrade a server which has a cache disk/pool defined, a backup of config/disk.cfg will be saved to config/disk.cfg.bak, and then cache device assignment settings are moved out of config/disk.cfg and into a new file, config/pools/cache.cfg.  If later you revert back to a pre-6.9.0 Unraid OS release you will lose your cache device assignments and you will have to manually re-assign devices to cache.  As long as you reassign the correct devices, data should remain intact.

Also if they start the array can they stop and add if they missed this step or have auto start *yes?

4 hours ago, pervel said:

Is it necessary to upgrade if you're on 6.9.0-rc2? Has anything changed?

Yes.  The wiki doc shows the consolidated changes (changes since 6.8.3) but here are changes from -rc2 to stable:

Version 6.9.0 2021-02-27 (vs -rc2)

Base distro:

• bind: [removed]
  • btrfs-progs: version 5.10
  • ca-certificates: version 20201219
  • curl: version 7.74.0 (CVE-2020-8286 CVE-2020-8285 CVE-2020-8284)
  • dnsmasq: version 2.84 (CVE-2020-25681 CVE-2020-25682 CVE-2020-25683 CVE-2020-25684 CVE-2020-25685 CVE-2020-25686 CVE-2020-25687)
  • intel-microcode: version 20210216
  • kernel-firmware: version 20210211_f7915a0
  • openssl: version 1.1.1i
  • openssl-solibs: version 1.1.1i
  • p11-kit: version 0.23.22 (CVE-2020-29361 CVE-2020-29361 CVE-2020-29361)
  • php: version 7.4.15
  • samba: version 4.12.11
  • sudo: version: 1.9.3p2 (CVE-2021-23239 CVE-2021-23240)
  • wireguard-tools: version 1.0.20210223

Linux kernel:

• version 5.10.19

Management:

• bug fix: rename /etc/krb.conf to /etc/krb5.conf
  • emhttpd: bug fix: initial device temperatures not being displayed
  • emhttpd: bug fix: No Smartdata for non standard controller type
  • plugin: support sha256 file validation
  • smart-one.cfg keeps SMART info per-ID instead of per-slot; disk warning/critical config moved to disk/pool cfg
  • wireguard support: rc.wireguard: add iptables rules
  • webgui: Add notification agent for Discord
  • webgui: Fix: Dashboard / Docker scrolling on iPad devices
  • webgui: dockerMan: Selectable start upon install
  • webgui: fix: login prompt when switching between servers
  • webgui: sanitize input on tail_log
  • webgui: SysDevs - warn if leave page without saving
  • webgui: Diagnostics: Remove SHA256 Hashes
  • webgui: Display settings: colors should be 3 or 6 character hex digits
  • webgui: Fix: properly set samesite cookie (fix login issue with Safari)
  • webgui: Switch Diagnostics to web socket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, doron said:

6.9.0-rc2 -> 6.9.0, smooth, no issues.

One tiny data point: After the upgrade, I received three notice messages for 3 of my drives:

"Notice [TOWER] - Disk 3 returned to normal utilization level"

I never saw a warning state while in previous versions. Have the default utilization thresholds changed?

Great job, Limetech folks!!

Yes, see here.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hawihoney said:

I do have two system/appdata folders. One on an unassigned device and one on an array device. The system share is set to "Use cache=No". E.g.:

/mnt/disk17/system/

/mnt/disks/NVMe1/system/

VMs are running on array, Dockers are split between both. Docker/VM settings are set to:

/mnt/disk17/system/docker.img

/mnt/disk17/system/libvirt.img

Should I expect problems?

I would say it's a possibility... One of my prod systems is using a completely non-standard zfs setup, with appdata living on a pair of P3500 NVMe drive, and everything else living on a 24 drive zfs pool, with the mount point for appdata being taken care of in the go file on boot - as I've not had enough time to ensure that I can stick around to fix it if things go south, I haven't touched it yet.

Definitely back up your flash drive before updating, and if things aren't working afterwards, compare the domain and network config files post-upgrade for unexpected changes.

1 hour ago, weirdcrap said:

With the GPU changes (https://wiki.unraid.net/Unraid_OS_6.9.0#GPU_Driver_Integration) the old method of enabling Intel QuickSync via the go file is no longer recommended then?

# Enable Intel QuickSync HW Transcoding
modprobe i915 
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Correct, you'll instead un-blacklist the driver by creating a file to override the driver blacklist:

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

• Thanks 3
23 minutes ago, SimonF said:

@limetech@SpencerJ

Can this be appended to the first post so people know if they revert they need to add the cache back in as I think its buried in the release notes and people are not seeing it..

Note: A pre-6.9.0 cache disk/pool is now simply a pool named "cache".  When you upgrade a server which has a cache disk/pool defined, a backup of config/disk.cfg will be saved to config/disk.cfg.bak, and then cache device assignment settings are moved out of config/disk.cfg and into a new file, config/pools/cache.cfg.  If later you revert back to a pre-6.9.0 Unraid OS release you will lose your cache device assignments and you will have to manually re-assign devices to cache.  As long as you reassign the correct devices, data should remain intact.

Also if they start the array can they stop and add if they missed this step or have auto start *yes?

Good suggestion.  I added a note about Reverting to the OP.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, limetech said:

Good suggestion.  I added a note about Reverting to the OP.

I think it'd also be helpful to note specific 'gotchas' within the original announcement that were addressed within the previous beta releases announcements - many haven't touched 6.9 yet and are moving straight from 6.8.3, so information on things like the the blacklisting of video drivers aren't readily at hand to them.

i.e. "For those with manual edits to their /boot/config/go file, please take note of <modprobe stuff>"

Edited by BVD