Unraid OS version 6.9.0 available

7 minutes ago, Capt.Insano said:

Emby will not use hardware transcoding unless I also issue the following command and then restart the container:

chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

As such I have added that command back into my go file.

Yes, a shame they did all the work on the drivers and didn't fix permissions.

Thanks for the process, that's where I arrived in the end too.

1 hour ago, Rick Gillyon said:

Yes, a shame they did all the work on the drivers and didn't fix permissions.

As I understand it, the containers could be set up to work with the default premissions. For example, the two containers I have that use the amdgpu driver (which reveals a similar /dev/dri interface) can make use of the hardware without the need to force 777 permissions.

• Like 1

I upgraded today to 6.9 and suddenly unraid is telling me that my flash drive is having issues, it has been in the array without issues tower-diagnostics-20210303-1642.zipfor years. Should I run a checkdsk on a windows PC? I have now run the checkdsk on my Windows PC it did a fix run but did not find any errors, but when I started the array with the Flash drive it detected an unclean shutdown, so a parity check is currently running. Here is the diagnostic after the check 

tower-diagnostics-20210303-1656.zip

Edited by MrLondon
1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

There must be something "wrong" with v6.9

When i set all disks to "standby" over the command

hdparm -y $(ls /dev/sd*|grep "[a-z]$") >/dev/null 2>&1

all disk go to sleep, but the WebUI shows them as "active" which is not true of corse...

Do not use hdparm directly to spindown devices.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, limetech said:

I must use hdparm because of the sleep-plugin. Its the most important plugin for me.

After wakup, the status of the disks is sometimes not uniform.

The hdparm -y command brings them all to status "standby" which is necessary to let the server go back to sleep.

sleep-plugin custom command.jpg

Edited by Zonediver
37 minutes ago, limetech said:

Do not use because (a) it won't be reflected in the GUI or (b) it may cause more serious problems like data corruption?

If (b) does it apply to only array disks or pool disks as well?

10 hours ago, Anym001 said:

I also have these ipv6 multicast records after the update. Can I delete them?

Otherwise I have been able to update from RC2 to 6.9 without any problems. 

image.png.37a7ed0f639e0e332dc85098f9356961.png

image.thumb.png.691ad5b86cce1688fb5ed3fd91ecba31.png

20 hours ago, italeffect said:

I have all these IPV6 "Multicast" entries after the upgrade to 6.9. I have IPV6 turned off. Am I safe to delete them all? I have been unable to find anything that explains what they are. Thanks! (Perfectly smooth upgrade from Beta30 BTW).

1326413653_ScreenShot2021-03-01at11_40_32PM.thumb.png.a90cb328b01684e854cbb35152b857a1.png

--

Same here, lots of entries - I tried to delete them, nothing happens.

The logs show:

Mar  3 14:42:00 unraid3 dnsmasq[12378]: no servers found in /etc/resolv.conf, will retry
Mar  3 14:42:00 unraid3 dnsmasq[12378]: reading /etc/resolv.conf
Mar  3 14:42:00 unraid3 dnsmasq[12378]: using nameserver 9.9.9.9#53

12 hours ago, SimonF said:

The Nvidia package is also dependent on kernel, it sounds like you cannot download the newer version for the 6.9.0 kernel.

Have you tried removing the plugin and re-installing?

Just an update, that was indeed the problem. Uninstall and reinstall of the Nvidia Driver plugin worked like a charm!

I upgraded to 6.9.0 by first backing up my flash & then just hitting the yellow banner that told me there was a new version of unRAID available.  Then I hit 'REBOOT' at the bottom of the screen.  After about 10 minutes I noticed that PLEX had not come back online.  I  specify a static ip address for my unRAID server & when I checked my routers LAN status page it was not there.  I went to my little "server closet" & it was still running.  I hit the power button one time & it shut off immediately.  At first this alarmed me, but I realized that the reboot command had stalled at just before, you know rebooting the server.  Hit the power button again & she booted right up.   :)

Just reporting that upgrading from 6.8.3 to 6.9.0 on my HP Microserver gen8 went without a hitch.

I did the "Unassign/Re-assign" method to align my 2x Samsung EVO cache drives to 1MiB, and it went without a hitch, too.

Here's to lowered write amplification, and hopefully a few extra years from my cache disks!

Thanks for all your work, Limetech! I love my Unraid box ❤️

Edited by jademonkee
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much seamless upgrade for me from 6.8.3 to 6.9.0 but a few quirks noticed in the 24 hours since I pulled the trigger.

Anyone else using the Dynamix Fan Auto Control plugin facing issues with the fan controller seeming to ramp up to 100% and stay there way longer than before?

I'm also struggling to get settings to save when using this plugin.

Apart from that, the only other minor gripe is that clicking the X on system notifications doesn't close them without refreshing the page.

2 hours ago, DrBazUK said:

Anyone else using the Dynamix Fan Auto Control plugin facing issues with the fan controller seeming to ramp up to 100% and stay there way longer than before?

As far is i know, this plugin is not compatible.

And just a question: How did you get your i7-9700K (s1151 v2) working on an old Z170 mainboard (s1151)?

Or is this a typo...

Edited by Zonediver

Has anyone had issues with their CPU frequencies being cut in half?  They should be 2.4Ghz with a 2.6Ghz boost.

root@FSNAS1U:~# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 1199.924
cpu MHz         : 1199.926
cpu MHz         : 1199.927
cpu MHz         : 1199.928
cpu MHz         : 1199.929
cpu MHz         : 1199.930
cpu MHz         : 1199.962
cpu MHz         : 1199.935
cpu MHz         : 1199.971
cpu MHz         : 1199.914
cpu MHz         : 1199.931
cpu MHz         : 1199.952
cpu MHz         : 1199.932
cpu MHz         : 1200.001

ETA: I found this thread and went and switched the CPU Scaling Governor to "On Demand" from "Power Save" and it now shows this:

root@FSNAS1U:~# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 2400.151
cpu MHz         : 2399.857
cpu MHz         : 2399.859
cpu MHz         : 2399.855
cpu MHz         : 2399.845
cpu MHz         : 2399.856
cpu MHz         : 2399.853
cpu MHz         : 2399.858
cpu MHz         : 2399.903
cpu MHz         : 2399.992
cpu MHz         : 2400.351
cpu MHz         : 2401.538
cpu MHz         : 2399.855
cpu MHz         : 2399.851
cpu MHz         : 2399.852
cpu MHz         : 2399.854
cpu MHz         : 2399.851
cpu MHz         : 2399.841
cpu MHz         : 2399.782
cpu MHz         : 2399.840

I need to check what happens when I go back down to 10 cores on the VM as I increased to 16 cores trying to figure out what was wrong earlier and see if "On Demand" allows them to go up to 2.6Ghz so we'll see.

ETA:
Performance = All cores at 2.6Ghz all the time

On Demand = Core clocks vary due to load but never exceed the base clock of 2.4Ghz

I can't set the "Enable Intel Turbo/AMD Performance Boost?" option as the combobox is empty?

Edited by jlficken
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jlficken said:

Performance = All cores at 2.6Ghz all the time

On Demand = Core clocks vary due to load but never exceed the base clock of 2.4Ghz

I can't set the "Enable Intel Turbo/AMD Performance Boost?" option as the combobox is empty?

You will probably see the CPU Scaling governor driver says "intel_cpufreq" driver on the right side of Tips and Tweaks.  This appears to be a new driver for some Intel CPUs.  I am working on a change to Tips and Tweaks so this driver will be handled properly.  That's why you are not seeing Turbo Boost as an option.  Right now it only shows as an option for the intel_pstate (Intel Pstate in Tips and Tweaks) driver.

It is recommended that you use 'Performance' for the best power savings and performance.

I don't believe "On Demand" is an option to the intel_cpufreq driver.  Tips and Tweaks is showing it as an option and probably shouldn't.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dlandon said:

You will probably see the CPU Scaling governor driver says "intel_cpufreq" driver on the right side of Tips and Tweaks.  This appears to be a new driver for some Intel CPUs.  I am working on a change to Tips and Tweaks so this driver will be handled properly.  That's why you are not seeing Turbo Boost as an option.  Right now it only shows as an option for the intel_pstate (Intel Pstate in Tips and Tweaks) driver.

It is recommended that you use 'Performance' for the best power savings and performance.

I don't believe "On Demand" is an option to the intel_cpufreq driver.  Tips and Tweaks is showing it as an option and probably shouldn't.

I have the  intel_cpufreq driver, and when I set it to 'On Demand' I get:

root@Percy:~# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 3097.473
cpu MHz         : 3101.104
cpu MHz         : 3094.179
cpu MHz         : 3091.279
cpu MHz         : 3100.118
cpu MHz         : 3093.355
cpu MHz         : 3092.385
cpu MHz         : 3099.522

So I'm guessing it has the effect of just running at full frequency all the time?

However, when I set it to 'Performance' I get:

root@Percy:~# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 1596.710
cpu MHz         : 1596.466
cpu MHz         : 1596.533
cpu MHz         : 1596.398
cpu MHz         : 1596.510
cpu MHz         : 1596.519
cpu MHz         : 1596.589
cpu MHz         : 1596.520

I'm currently re-building a disk while also performing an 'erase and clear' on an old disk, so my CPU isn't close to idle (ocassional 90+% peaks), so I would expect that at least some of the cores would be running at full speed with a profile that scales speed with demand. Is 'Performance' just keeping them at half speed, or is more likely that my demand is not big enough to warrant scaling up to full speed for any significant period of time?

In the mean time I'll keep it on 'On Demand' and keep an eye on temps.

25 minutes ago, giafidis said:

Updated directly from 6.8.3 and i noticed GPU Passthrough stopped working in existing and new VMs. I Downgraded to 6.8.3 and it works again.

Did you check that no hardware ID's for passed-through hardware had changed under 6.9.0?  If they had then this could explain why this happened.

A small explanation of some of the UI changes that may throw people for a loop.

• Dashboard:  Dragging to rearrange the tiles can now only be done from each tile's title bar
  • Docker: Dragging to rearrange the start order can now only be done via the up/down arrow on the right of each row
  • Diagnostics: The occasional timeouts when grabbing diagnostics (especially on wide arrays with the drives spun down) should now be impossible. 
    • A dialog box pops up with the current command being run.  This is helpful if the command happens to stop responding.
    • All diagnostics grabbed via the UI are now also automatically saved to the flash drive (logs folder).  Helpful if there happens to be browser issues and the dialog box never populates with the commands being run or closes automatically.
  • Docker Icons: All Icons must now have a valid URL address in order for the system to download them initially.  Icons are no longer stored on the flash drive (rather they are within the docker.img file), so it is not really an easy option to simply overwrite the image file with a replacement icon.  ie: if you had previously overwritten the icon files to change the icon, all of your icons will revert back to what's in the template.
  • Docker: Logs for the apps are only available via the context menu (click on the icon).  Unifies the interface between Docker / Dashboard pages.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2