GuyGG's first unRAID build

In case any other unRAID noobs (or those with "UCD") might find it useful, here's a link to my blog post write-up of my first unRAID build (including some pictures):

https://guygordon.com/technology/unraid-server-build/

EDIT:

I've added a second write-up containing follow-up thoughts, setting up Crashplan, and the choice of my soon-to-arrive Zotac ZBox for use with XBMC.

https://guygordon.com/technology/part-2-of-my-unraid-experience/

- GuyGG

In case any other unRAID noobs (or those with "UCD") might find it useful, here's a link to my blog post write-up of my first unRAID build (including some pictures):

http://guygordon.com/content/unraid-server-build

- Guy

Nice write up.

Glad you like unMENU, but then I'm biased...  ;D

As far as FTP, it is just nobody has bothered to make it user-friendly.  Originally there was no FTP included at all.

In unRAID 4.3b1 it was added, but no configuration screens.

unMENU has had ProFTPD  for an optional package since before any FTP was in unRAID. ProFTPD is the Professional File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server daemon.

There is no config screen for it either, but its package was put into place way before unMENU had the ability to have config fields in the package manager.  The big issue is ANY FTP package is far more complex that just a few config fields would permit.  If you can post a sample set of config fields (for either package) that would general for other to be able to use, I'll be happy to add it to unMENU. 

Most of the packages in the unMENU package manager are from people like yourself who first figured out how to get something installed and configured.  You too can help those who follow. 

You may be an unRAID noob, but you have tons of experience to draw upon in areas others have not yet ventured. 

You are not alone in the need for FTP, it is just that the configuration has little to do with unRAID specifically, and far more to do with Slackware, and permissions, and system security.

Joe L.

Yeah, wasn't really trying to complain about the FTP stuff. I know it's a recent addition to the platform. I may continue messing with it at some point (probably if I end up deciding to decommission my old 2003 server box that's acting as the front-end for it currently). I briefly gave ProFTPD a try via unMENU back before setting up the FireZilla front-end. For some reason, I didn't get any FTP response with ProFTPD, but I really didn't investigate it much, and just opted to go the front-end route since I had that other server to use and was familiar with FileZilla.

For now, though, my main task is slowly organizing and copying stuff to the array. One tends to realize just how much stuff they've got when they try to fully organize it all. :)

I may also start tinkering with Crashplan on it in the near future.

Thanks for all the work. Look forward to a happy future with unRAID.

- Guy

I've been curious as to how unRAID would know to shut down when running on battery backup without software, and now I know that there's an add-on for it in unMENU.  I'm waiting for some parts to arrive for my first build and I will definitely be checking out unMENU once I get things going.

Thanks for the writeup.

• 2 weeks later...