[6.9] /dev/dri is missing

Was running 6.8.3 with functional iGPU/QS transcoding w/ Plex. Upgraded to 6.9 this morning and now the /dev/dri directory is missing. Found the section in the Wiki that explains the drivers being blacklisted, created the necessary file to whitelist it ( /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf ), rebooted the server, but /dev/dri is still missing. Removed the original lines I had previously added to the go file in 6.8.3 and rebooted, but still no dice. The Server had been rebooted several times before with no issues and nothing has changed within the BIOS settings. My Server is essentially useless at the moment, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mobo: Supermicro X11SCH-F

CPU: Intel Xeon E-2246G

Everything points to the fact that it SHOULD be working:

root@Morgoth:~# lsmod | grep -i 'i915'
i915 1712128 0
iosf_mbi 16384 1 i915
drm_kms_helper 163840 1 i915
drm 356352 2 drm_kms_helper,i915
intel_gtt 20480 1 i915
video 45056 1 i915
i2c_algo_bit 16384 2 igb,i915
backlight 16384 3 video,i915,drm
i2c_core 45056 8 drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,igb,i2c_smbus,i2c_i801,i915,ipmi_ssif,drm

root@Morgoth:~# modinfo i915
filename: /lib/modules/5.10.19-Unraid/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko.xz
license: GPL and additional rights
description: Intel Graphics
author: Intel Corporation

Output of the above is the same on both 6.8.3 and 6.9. Although lspci -k doesn't show it is in use, like it used to on 6.8.3:

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics P630
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 1b11
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

Compared to 6.9:

00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics P630]
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 1b11
Kernel modules: i915

Running modprobe i915, which should no longer be necessary anyway, doesn't make /dev/dri show up either.

Doesn't seem to matter whether or not the array is started either. Diagnostics are attached in case they might be of any help.

morgoth-diagnostics-20210302-1228.zip

Edited by tronyx
Typo

For anyone else that may encounter the same issue, I was able to resolve my issue on 6.9 by removing the nomodeset commands in my /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file, like so:

root@Morgoth:~# cat /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

I do not remember explicitly adding them myself previously, but it is very possible that I did to get things working on 6.8.3.

Edited by tronyx
Edit the fix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see you use the igpu for plex transcoding, i have i7400 with igpu and use mine mainly for plex, updating tomorrow and just wondering if i have to change anything within the plex docker parameters like i originally did top get it use use igpu for hardware transcoding. What exactly did you add or remove form the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file. 

Thanks 

Edited by coblck
47 minutes ago, coblck said:

I see you use the igpu for plex transcoding, i have i7400 with igpu and use mine mainly for plex, updating tomorrow and just wondering if i have to change anything within the plex docker parameters like i originally did top get it use use igpu for hardware transcoding. What exactly did you add or remove form the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file. 

Thanks 

After upgrading to 6.9, I followed the docs to whitelist the i915 driver, as they're now blacklisted by default, as outlined HERE. Then I removed the original entry I had made to the /boot/config/go file to get things working with 6.8.3, and rebooted.

This command  "touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf # create an empty file" 

Im sorry for the hassle just not very clear to me. 

So within  config/modprobe.d folder create a file with "touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf # create an empty file" using notepad ??

8 minutes ago, coblck said:

This command  "touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf # create an empty file" 

Im sorry for the hassle just not very clear to me. 

So within  config/modprobe.d folder create a file with "touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf # create an empty file" using notepad ??

No, the command is this:    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

That will create an empty file called amdgpu.conf in the /boot/config/modprobe.d/ directory. You will need to create the correct file that corresponds to your GPU type. If it is an Intel integrated GPU, like with my issue, you will need to create the i915.conf file instead of the amdgpu.conf file. This will cause it to overwrite the file that exists to blacklist the driver.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, mdrodge said:

So i have run the touch **************  command and i have the i915.conf file in my modprobe.d folder.

How do i get a /dev/dri folder ????

my syslinix.cfg file looked correct i think

Have you ever had the iGPU loaded and working with the i915 drivers or is this your first go at it?

Usually, /dev/dri does not get created by loading the drivers unless you have the iGPU properly configured in your BIOS. 

Diagnostics would be helpful to see your system configuration.

Im the same if i try cd /dev/dri then ls nothing comes up. before in 6.8.3 with the modprobe in go file the igpu would be listed if i typed this. But since Ive installed intel top plugin when upgraded to 6.9.1 its not listed when i type cd dev/dri . While transcoding in plex it definitely using the igpu as can be seen in the gpu statistics and (hw) is listed on the plex dashboard. 

Edited by coblck
21 minutes ago, coblck said:

upgraded to 6.9.1 its not listed when i type cd dev/dri . While transcoding in plex it definitely using the igpu as can be seen in the gpu statistics and (hw) is listed on the plex dashboard. 

Well, that is interesting.  You see no /dev/dri with these contents?

image.png.7a40c91eddd40dfc5f6c23bf898212a6.png

and even though you have no /dev/dri, it is referenced in the Plex container in either Extra Parameters or as a configured Device (either will work)?

image.png.4611625f06b7a82298ff773f233d2422.png

If you are seeing (hw) in the Plex dashboard/Tautulli then it is obviously using the iGPU for hardware transcoding.

Personally, I have never seen Plex or HandBrake use the iGPU without the presence of /dev/dri as seen above. but who knows, maybe something has changed with the way it is being called in 6.9.1 with the way drivers are being loaded?  I still see the /dev/dri folder and am curious how it could work without it.

For the record, I now use the touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf method, but it was also working fine under the old 'go' file method.

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, coblck said:

Im the same if i try cd /dev/dri then ls nothing comes up. before in 6.8.3 with the modprobe in go file the igpu would be listed if i typed this. But since Ive installed intel top plugin when upgraded to 6.9.1

Intel Top???????????

do i need that???????????????????????????????

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Well, that is interesting.  You see no /dev/dri with these contents?

image.png.7a40c91eddd40dfc5f6c23bf898212a6.png

and even though you have no /dev/dri, it is referenced in the Plex container in either Extra Parameters or as a configured Device (either will work)?

image.png.4611625f06b7a82298ff773f233d2422.png

If you are seeing (hw) in the Plex dashboard/Tautulli then it is obviously using the iGPU for hardware transcoding.

Personally, I have never seen Plex or HandBrake use the iGPU without the presence of /dev/dri as seen above. but who knows, maybe something has changed with the way it is being called in 6.9.1 with the way drivers are being loaded?  I still see the /dev/dri folder and am curious how it could work without it.

For the record, I now use the touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf method, but it was also working fine under the old 'go' file method.

was tempted to try that but thought i'd explore getting a /dev/dri folder first

2 minutes ago, mdrodge said:

Intel Top???????????

do i need that???????????????????????????????

No. not necessary to get things running.  It is just for seeing iGPU stats when in use.  I installed the GPU Statistics plugin (which uses Intel Top), but it is just window dressing.

Nothing going on with iGPU at the moment.

image.png.4960bcb6deca1449f274cfc328165c6f.png