Data on disks but not found, random disk failures

Hello, 

Not sure what's goings on here.

I have been using UNRAID for a few years and going all fine up until a few months ago,  lost a drive and when trying to replace found mobo not seeing all ram, further investigation reviled defect mobo.

Removed all equipment m(SAS contollers, etc (not RAM or CPU)) used old (Spare) mobo and back up and running all data assessable and present.

Showed failures on two drives whilst waiting for new mobo to arrive, ordered replacement disk (was a little shocked as one disk was only 18 months old).

Got new board installed and changed out failed disks,  started getting random failures on different drives, suspected new Mobo (it was used of EBAY), again no seeing all RAM as well.

Put back into old (Spare) and again now seeing random failures of disks. Disks always test out fine in smart tests etc.

Using TV show XYZ as example (it has 3 seasons).

Now when I browse through windows or plex or unraid UI share it only Season 2 - episode 12, but when I go main and click on another disk and drill down (if it contains that show) it will show some episodes...

At a loss any help or advice would be great.

tower-diagnostics-20210303-0445.zip

So ran for a few days with not Parity disk, not a single error as soon as I put on in and tired to do a sync errors on 2 x drives (tired a few times different drive each time).

Tired with only one parity disk in various locations/slots (I have a NORCO 4224 case, through 3 x LSI card using 6 SAS cables). Still same result.

Removed the Parity drives and no read errors.

tower-diagnostics-20210307-1111.zip tower-syslog-20210307-0311.zip

I've run into this before you need to pull the boot bios from the LSI Cards they fight for the boot prompt.

you will also find when you boot up it pauses for a few seconds longer than normal.

sas2flash -o -e 5 to erase the boot services area of the flash chip. (thats the one on my 9211 cards for section 5 being the BIOS).

You need to pull the boot bios from all 3 cards, you only need the boot bios if you plan to boot on a drive on the LSI Controller which you are booting off the USB so you don't need it.

I don't know why it throws random errors but if you ran with only 1 LSI Card you will have no issues.

Edited by Maticks

No sure they have BIOS, been running fine for years, now this.... see below

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18) 
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved 

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Num   Ctlr            FW Ver        NVDATA        x86-BIOS         PCI Addr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0  SAS2008(B2)     20.00.07.00    14.01.00.08      No Image      00:09:00:00
1  SAS2008(B2)     20.00.07.00    14.01.00.08      No Image      00:08:00:00
2  SAS2008(B2)     20.00.07.00    14.01.00.08      No Image      00:02:00:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SAS2Flash.

7 hours ago, Vossy said:

Tired with only one parity disk in various locations/slots (I have a NORCO 4224 case, through 3 x LSI card using 6 SAS cables). Still same result.

The errors were not on the parity drive, though they are more likely to happen during a parity sync due to the heavy IO, do the errors happen to any disk on the different controllers? Maybe they are limited to a controller or backplane?

I don't post much and usually when I go on to forums I am the one asking for help.   I had a similar issue where I updated to Unraid 6.9.0 and after I rebooted, Disk 5 was not found.  I tried several reboots but to no avail.    Eventually, I powered down the system, opened up the server chassis, unplugged Disk 5's data and power connection, re-seated the LSI 9211-8i expansion card.  Started it back up and viola! Disk 5 available again.   Not sure if the update caused it, but decided to post my solution in case someone else has the same issue.

Edited by chizll