unmountable: No file system

Since it mounted, if you share that disk on the network (in Unassigned Devices) you can check to see what it has on it.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, trurl said:

If it turns out the disk is mountable and looks like it has most of your files then you might even put it back in the array with New Config and rebuild parity instead of rebuilding the data disk.

Well, though I was able to share the disk and view the contents, unfortunately it is the same as the parity.  The good news is the lost+found folder, and the fact that I have a not-terribly old backup of the more critical stuff on another disk  Not knowing how this happened and that the parity didn't save the day, I'm disappointed.  But I thank everyone a ton for their help and patience.

38 minutes ago, curtis-r said:

Well, though I was able to share the disk and view the contents, unfortunately it is the same as the parity. 

Parity has no data (probably already said that somewhere in the thread). I assume you mean it appears to be the same as the emulated data disk in the parity array.

You could try to repair that Unassigned disk filesystem and see if it recovers any better than the emulated disk did.

I don't see how I could have been looking at the parity data .  I was able to mount the disk, toggle sharing, and then view it on my network. It appeared with Toshiba + model + serial#.   I've already started a rebuild, so no going back now.  The lost+found was not on the physical drive. I just meant I'm glad I have the lost+found (in the parity).  Thanks again.  Glad to have people like you on the forumn.

Thought this saga was over...  Few days ago executed a New Config & the disk rebuilt.  I then populated the bit of missing data from some external backups & the lost+found.  All was running fine but I decided to do an additional external backup to a HD I had lying around.  It's a few-hundred gigs of data.  During the backup, the disk failed again and we're back to square one.  I'm finishing the external backup from the parity data before I do anything further, but what's going on?

After my backup, here is the pair log:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
        - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
        - found root inode chunk
Phase 3 - for each AG...
        - scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
        - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 2
        - agno = 3
        - process newly discovered inodes...
Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
        - setting up duplicate extent list...
        - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
        - agno = 0
        - agno = 1
        - agno = 3
        - agno = 2
No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
        - traversing filesystem ...
        - traversal finished ...
        - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
Phase 7 - verify link counts...
No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.

tower-diagnostics-20210306-1731.zip

Edited by curtis-r
2 hours ago, deanpelton said:

Sounds like a faulty drive, but I think unraid only disables a disk if it can't write to it, not if it can't read.

When a read fails, Unraid immediately spins up all the drives and calculates what should be in that sector, and attempts to write the correct data back to the drive. If the write succeeds, the error counter for that drive is incremented, and Unraid continues on. If the write fails, Unraid disables the physical drive and marks it red, and all further reads and writes are done to the emulated drive.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

When a read fails, Unraid immediately spins up all the drives and calculates what should be in that sector, and attempts to write the correct data back to the drive. If the write succeeds, the error counter for that drive is incremented, and Unraid continues on. If the write fails, Unraid disables the physical drive and marks it red, and all further reads and writes are done to the emulated drive.

Thanks I didn't know that!

Is the disk connected via SATA on the motherboard, or USB?

Drive is SATA to mobo.  If memory serves, this drive isn't terribly old, replacing what I thought was another bad drive that has proven to so-far be fine as an external backup.  Changing the cable sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: Ends up the drive was manf in 2013, so I must be thinking of a different drive.  Changed the cable.  Time will tell...

Edited by curtis-r

Well, this didn't take long.  I decided to just New Config (I understand I'd be unprotected).  I had to reassign all the drives, and I kept everything the same.  On starting the array, it said disk1 was unmountable & the notification said, "Disk 1 in error state...".  Good thing I backed the drive externally.  Any help would of course be appreciated.

This rig has hot-swappable HD bays, and I've seen bad SATA interfaces.  Possible that is the issue?  If someone thinks so, I could try a different bay.

tower-diagnostics-20210307-1113.zip

Edited by curtis-r
4 hours ago, curtis-r said:

I decided to just New Config

New Config instead of rebuild is not the recommended approach to fix disabled disks. The disk is disabled because a write to it failed and it is out-of-sync. Rebuilding from parity would make it in-sync again. New Config abandons that fix and the failed write can't be recovered. Possibly that failed write is the reason your disk is not unmountable. You will have to repair the filesystem now.

Looks like you're also having connection issues with disk5.

I believe I have to start in maintenance mode with the disk unassigned to run a repair, correct?  If I unassign that disk, I cannot start the array (even in maintenance mode).  It says, "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!"  If I start maintenance mode with disk1 assigned, I don't see the repair section on that drives setting page.  Is there another way to repair the filesystem?  thanks.

EDIT: Let me clarify, there is no Check Filesystem Status section for that disk.

Edited by curtis-r