****<Solved> ****Upgraded to 6.9 Unraid - Plex and Emby won't start.....

Folks,

Is there anyone else that has run into this problem. All of the dockers work "except" the media service dockers.

Start the container and I get execution error - bad parameter????

image.png.bb1d1b5de2c6f046c8d539f5a62c61b8.png

Not a lot to go on ....logs for Plex and Emby contain no clues either.

Just once I'd like to have an update go smoothly. On to the Plex and Emby forums I guess .....🙄

Thanks in advance

toolmanz

Edited by toolmanz
solved

Just a quick update - containers wouldn't start because I have a couple of nvidia graphics cards set up to do transcoding.

Release Notes:

Nvidia Driver

One of the most popular third-party drivers requested for Unraid OS is Nvidia's GPU Linux driver. This driver is required for transcoding capability in Docker containers.

This provided a clue ....eliminated the transcode part and containers are up....just chasing down a problem with access to the media files.

More later.....

Ok so I'm back with Emby and Plex.

Emby - just deleted the transcoding portion and updated. The docker disappeared (not sure what that was about). Just reinstalled the docker from the same repo. Fixed.

Plex - not so easy. Deleted the transcoding portion and updated. The docker disappeared. Reinstalled the container from same repo (new version installed which was a bit different than the previous one). Couldn't play anything - it couldn't find the media files. Had to go into Plex libraries set up and change the directory to the correct one. Fixed.

All good now.

toolmanz

• toolmanz changed the title to ****<Solved> ****Upgraded to 6.9 Unraid - Plex and Emby won't start.....
  • 2 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 5:58 PM, toolmanz said:

Ok so I'm back with Emby and Plex.

Emby - just deleted the transcoding portion and updated. The docker disappeared (not sure what that was about). Just reinstalled the docker from the same repo. Fixed.

Plex - not so easy. Deleted the transcoding portion and updated. The docker disappeared. Reinstalled the container from same repo (new version installed which was a bit different than the previous one). Couldn't play anything - it couldn't find the media files. Had to go into Plex libraries set up and change the directory to the correct one. Fixed.

All good now.

toolmanz

For Emby, you said "deleted the transcoding portion and updated". Just wanted to clarify, in the "edit" for the app, remove --runtime=nvidia from the extra parameters or it won't re-install...

Question though, to use the gpu transcoding, we need to put --runtime=nvidia back into extra parameters, correct? Will it cause the docker to crash again? or after you re-install the docker, is it ok to re-input that extra parameter with your gpu info?

can confirm, re-adding --runtime=nvidia back into extra params will crash the docker. So is that extra parameter not needed anymore to allow the docker to use the gpu to transcode?

When I'm in emby, it doesn't show the gpu as an available encoder or decoder when set to advanced, so I'm wondering if it's not using it.

Also the plugin GPU Statistics is also not re-installing.

I only updated from 6.9.1 to 6.9.2. Everything was fine with 6.9.1 with the transcoding/nvidia.

updating again... so for whatever reason the nvidia driver (from the apps tab) wasn't installed after I updated from 6.9.1 to 6.9.2... so had to re-install that, added back --runtime=nvidia to both plex and emby dockers and we're back in action. so before starting emby and plex if they show as "stopped" after you update, go install the nvidia driver and set it up before restarting those dockers and you should be ok. But may have to re-install the dockers. I did not have to re-map anything in Plex like the author did. They both fired up straightaway.

• 11 months later...

As posted in my thread here I have had basically this exact problem, but now I'm panicking because I want to get all of my old libraries, settings, etc.

I have downloaded and installed the new nvidia driver from Community Applications. 

I have removed the old Unraid Nvidia plugin.

I think I now need to re-download and install a new Plex docker, but how can I go about that whilst also bringing back all of my old libraries, settings, etc?

Also I see that there are TWO binhex Plex dockers, one with and one with "plexpass" in the title. I do have Plex Pass, but I'm not sure that my previous docker had Plex Pass in the title. Does that matter? 

Edit: I think I've fixed the problem...

This one of the comments in this reddit thread suggested going to Apps > Previously Installed > Install Plex from there and it should bring back app the same mappings. It did!

I then used instructions in the 2nd post of this thread on the Unraid forums to add "Key: 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES' and as Value: 'all':" before re-installing that Plex docker. 

I've checked that Hardware Transcoding is turned on in Plex. I've checked in Plex that it is successfully doing hardware transcoding, and I've also checked through "watch nvidia-smi". All seems to be working and exactly as it was! 

Plex Web interface does look a little weird and different to what I'm used to. It's now got ALOT more of a bluey background, and seems to have merged On Deck with Continue Watching? But I'm guessing that this is another new Plex layout and nothing to do with anything else, not that I'm particularly bothered as I use PMP on my PC & laptop. 

Still not sure whether I got the docker with or without "plexpass" in the title, but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems either way....

Edited by VisualHudson