Need Help to Re-activate unRAID Console or GUI After Linux VM Poweroff

Hi, I just got my hands on the 6.9.0 version of unRAID along with a Basic License.

Here's what I want to accomplish:

1. Start unraid server, Linuxmint VM Auto starts - this works

2.a Poweroff or suspend Linuxmint VM, should get me back to unRaid console or gui

2.b Poweroff the VM should take me back to Unraid GUI/Console, where gpu should be handed back to unraid. Is this even possible?

Current Setup:

- Ryzen-based System; 3700x, Aorus B550 Mobo

- Single GPU Passthrough working, using GT710 - shared with unRaid server

- Linuxmint VM boots off from physical NVME stick, UEFI enabled

- Linuxmint VM; OVMF BIOS, PCIe ACS override enabled, gpu/sound passed thru.

Also, I need to make suspend/resume work on this machine, where:

1. Manually suspend the Linuxmint VM

2. Suspend or Sleep the unRaid Server using S3 Plugin. 

3. Manually wake/resume/start the unRaid server, Linuxmint should auto resume/wake

Note: No other machine to access the unRaid server via ssh/telnet.

UPDATE 1:

1. I've thrown in another GPU, nVidia GT710 - as dedicated GPU passthru for my Windows 10 VM

NOTE: 
1. My Unraid server is only being used to Virtualize Linux Mint and Windows 10. Part of my job and workflow to use these OSes simultaneously.
2. Im suspending the Linux VM to preserve the state and save on power bills.
3. I can't let the Unraid server running 24/7 since power outages is frequent in my town and I only have 3-minute UPS backup.

4. I need the unRaid webUI access to manually wakeup the VM's, since I didn't found any solution yet on how I would wake the VMs automatically

UPDATE 2:

Here's what I want to accomplish:

1. Start unraid server, Linuxmint VM Auto starts - this works great with auto usb mouse/kb auto connect using "USBIP GUI" plugin, with manual tweaks/adjustment -- by @SimonF

2.a Poweroff or suspend Linuxmint VM, should get me back to unRaid console or gui. -- NO longer needed since it can be done via web ui using another machine in the network, OR, use "before sleep" command in S3 plugin setting. Im newbie in unRAID, so I'm not aware of this plugin before and what they can do.

2.b Poweroff the VM should take me back to Unraid GUI/Console, where gpu should be handed back to unraid. Is this even possible? --- I've searched extensively and this is not doable and supported by unRAID. I came across some old topics to release the GPU back to unRAID but did not actually try it, because it's too complicated/difficult to do, with my current skill/knowledge.

WHAT'S WORKING:

1. Turn on unRaid server, Linuxmint VM powers on too using unRaid VM setting - auto start

2. Suspend Mode: I click on suspend button in Linuxmint VM, it turns to "pmsuspended" state. Next, I click Sleep button from the unRaid menu.

3. Waking it up: Hit any key on my keyboard wakes my unRaid machine up, along with the suspended Linuxmint VM, with auto attached keyboard/mouse working. The Linuxmint VM in unRaid is auto woke up by command "virsh dompmwakeup" in the "after wakeup" setting of the S3 plugin (Im not aware of this setting before).

So, that said - I won't need the console or gui on the unRaid machine itself anymore.

Edited by garydapogi
updated the post
1 hour ago, garydapogi said:

What do you intend to do after getting back to unRaid console/gui?

I thought I could use it to start my VM (later, when i need it) again or start another VM, all from the same machine.

So basically I want to:

Power off Windows 10 VM --> get console back --> pause --> start Windows 10 VM/other VM through console

I've been searching the internet trying to find a solution to my case. I've read a lot and watched videos and I've learned a solution to fix issues just like yours, but not to mine.

In your case you don't need to go back to the unRaind GUI or Console.

You can use any browser in your VM to run a timed script, just enough time for you to turnoff your current VM, until the script automatically turnon your other VM.

You would need the Community App plugin and the User Script Plugin, then watch this SpaceInvaderOne video: 

Edited by garydapogi
3 minutes ago, garydapogi said:

I've been searching the internet trying to find a solution to my case. I've read a lot and watched videos and I've learned a solution to fix issues just like yours, but not to mine.

In your case you don't need to go back to the unRaind GUI or Console.

You can use any browser in your VM to run a timed script, just enough time for you to turnoff your current VM, until the script automatically turnon your other VM.

You would need the Community App plugin and the User Script Plugin, then watch this SpaceInvaderOne video: 

Yes, thank you. I've found this too, but with a "pause" I meant that I'm going away from the computer, doing other stuff and later come back. Just like you would do with a normal PC. 

So I thought, I could turn off my VM and get the console back. Then I would turn my monitor and USB devices off and go away. After a while I want to come back, turn my monitor on and start the VM againt through the console. 

I think it's same thing you want, too.

It would be nice if you could share it, when it is working for you.

The following scenario is working for me:

'virsh start <VM>' (from console) --> VM is booting --> shut down VM --> press 'Arrow Up' & Enter --> VM starts again, because of last cmd.

I have still no visible console, but because my usb devices are handed back to Unraid after the passthrough, I can use my keyboard blindfolded.

So it is possible to write a script (with a short name), which you can execute blindfolded. xD

But a visible console would still be nice.

@joie95 Im holding off this idea for now.

I'm going for the client/server route, where unraid is the server, client would be an old laptop to remote administer the server via ssh or webui.

Also, Im getting a 2nd GPU for Windows 10 GPU passthrough. 

BTW, I found this blogpost, but I don't have time to try, it's an old post and not sure if applicable to 6.9.0, I just breezed through it:

https://arseniyshestakov.com/2016/03/31/how-to-pass-gpu-to-vm-and-back-without-x-restart/

Edited by garydapogi
additional note