*** Guide *** Setup WOL for UNRAID

Silscheder

Goal: Easy remote WOL of my UNRAID server

There are a thousand ways to this, however this worked for me and was pretty easy to do:

(some steps might not even be necessary - but doing them anyway does not matter while leaving them out might...)

HowTo Setup WOL for UNRAID:
(assuming onboard NIC and WOL activated in motherboard's BIOS)

*Put to sleep*
1. Webterminal or SSH into server
2. Type "ifconfig" and note IP-address and MAC-Address (ether) of used NIC
2. Type "ethtool -s eth0 wol g"
3. Type "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state"

*Wake up* using
1. MacOS / Linux / Windows
a) Download "MiniWOL2" from https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/miniwol2/ and install
b) Click miniicon, push "Add" button and name the device to wake (Alias in Menu)
c) set "IPv4 Address" (manually or select from ARP List) and "MAC-Address" (manually or click on 'detect') in appropriate fields
d) Set "Broadcast" 255.255.255.255
e) Push "Test" to wake-up device (needs to be in sleep mode: see above)

2. Windows: (ALTERNATIVE)
a) Download "wolcmd.exe" from https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd und unpack
b) Open command line prompt and move to do dowload directory
c) type "wolcmd.exe <ether> <ip-dest> 255.255.255.255    

3. Linux: (ALTERNATIVE)
a) Type "wakeonlan <MAC-Address>" OR
b) Type "wol <MAC-Address>"

I did not include any explanations on purpose, so if you need any - feel free to google :-)

The only intent of posting this guide was hopefully sparing you guys some time if you just want to have it up and running.

Feel free to question and comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, Squid said:

user scripts plugin or go file

Hey Squid, loved your recent podcast with Spaceinvader. 

Can you elaborate on how this would look in a script please? so far I have only used scrips that have already been created by others from tutorials. 

thanks again. 

What ever command you need to use you would enter it into a new script with the User Scripts plugin with its frequency set to be "At Initial Array Start"

Alternatively, you can edit the file "go" (/config on the flash drive) and add in the command there.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

My on board network card doesn't support wake on lan on unraid so I bought USB Network Adapter 2.5Gbp (no pci slots available on motherboard) and I still cant wake up my machine. In bios I have enabled resume by PCI-E devices. Do I need to enable resume by USB as well? If I turn off Unraid the leds on adapter are off. There must be no power. If I use this above command "echo -n mem > /sys/power/state" leds are on but I cant wake up machine any way.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, Silscheder said:

Goal: Easy remote WOL of my UNRAID server

There are a thousand ways to this, however this worked for me and was pretty easy to do:

(some steps might not even be necessary - but doing them anyway does not matter while leaving them out might...)

HowTo Setup WOL for UNRAID:
(assuming onboard NIC and WOL activated in motherboard's BIOS)

3. Linux: (ALTERNATIVE)
a) Type "wakeonlan <MAC-Address>" OR
b) Type "wol <MAC-Address>"

I did not include any explanations on purpose, so if you need any - feel free to google 🙂

The only intent of posting this guide was hopefully sparing you guys some time if you just want to have it up and running.

Feel free to question and comment.

How do you install wakeonlan or wol on unraid?