Copying Large Files from outside the Server

JP

I've had an unRaid server for some time so its little embarrassing having to ask what I think is a pretty basic question, but I don't know so here goes.  I have some 4K family videos that can get pretty big, some are 10, 20, 30 GBs.  When I move these files from my video editing PC across the network to my unRaid server, what is the best process to do so?

Traditionally, I've just copied it through a share path.  I do NOT have mover enabled.  This writes to the parity drive and provides some protection once it is finished.  However, I've often that of just pointing to a specific drive with the folder path I'm looking for and copy it there.  Doesn't that force it to be copied to that single drive?  I'm not sure whether it builds parity during or after the file has been copied, but it seems like this would be a better process.  I'm guessing because when the file is then accessed, it only needs to spin up one drive.  If the files are large like these, couldn't unRaid span the file across two drives if I used the first method (via a share)?   

On 3/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, itimpi said:

Parity is always built in real-time however you copy the files to the array.

each drive is always a self-contained file system so files can not span drives.

I could have sworn I read something in years past where people were choosing specific driver letters to copy files to for some kind of added benefit.  But based on what your saying, it sound like there is no added benefit by doing so....correct?