Cant access unraid exepct for comandline on server

Hi all I'm new to UNRAID and have been having issues with my server since day 1. Since I started using UNRAID Ive been having this weird issue where I suddenly cant connect via HTTPS://ServerName or HTTPS://Ip.Address or by attempting to boot into GUI mode (all I get is a black screen with a cursor in the upper left). I thought it was my router or the network switch I have hooked up but swapping both out didn't help this issue (plus I have many other devices working without issues). Of note is that when I cant access it, it vanishes from my router interface as well. I have tried using both a network add in card and the built in NIC both with the same exact results.

Despite this when I log into the server via cmd it shows that it has a valid static IP Address on my subnet and gateway. However previously deleting the network.cfg file and then rebooting would always bring it back, a pain in the rear but nothing crazy. However I cant get it back today by doing that. I just attempted reinstalling unraid (backing up my config folder) but even that isn't working. I'm still seeing the same behavior.

Ive gone ahead and attached my diga output.

Booting normally:

image.thumb.png.6e5c11750d2139b4ad8c1a89cb7491ae.png

Booting to GUI:

20210304_163945.thumb.jpg.62b5b4a618ab00349aa0950da2531758.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as Im missing my plex already!!

image.png

oathserver-diagnostics-20210304-1642.zip

19 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Use http instead of https.

If you have https enabled, http://servername and http://ip.address will both redirect to the proper https address.  If you use https on those urls they will be unable to redirect.

Something is wrong with the diagnostics you posted, the file is empty

Unfortunately HTTP or HTTPS doesn't make any difference. I get a network timeout. Im also unable to ping or see the server from any computer. Try the below diagnostics that I just grabbed

tower-diagnostics-20210304-1724.zip

13 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

You don't have SSL enabled, so you'll definitely want to use http links and not https links.

It looks like something is wrong with your network, hopefully someone else will have ideas on how to fix

Hopefully! Do you have any ideas as to where to go for now?

1 hour ago, Drackeo said:

I have tried using both a network add in card and the built in NIC both with the same exact results.

It still look like it is your network issue, seems some blocking between. You use static IP, as you mention you have many device, pls simple try other IP because same IP could be use by others.

For local GUI blank screen issue, this quite common, you should try enable CSM or CSM+UEFI if you boot in UEFI mode.

Edited by Vr2Io

Hi Drackeo,

Something is definitely amiss with your network. If possible, it would be useful to try the following things.

1. from the unraid cli - can you ping the gateway? Hopefully you get something back.
# ping 192.168.1.1
2. Can you send the output of two commands? First shows all the interfaces, and the second will show your routing.
# ip a

# ip r

Post that information and we might be able to figure out what's going on.

Hope this helps,

Del

7 minutes ago, Delarius said:

Hi Drackeo,

Something is definitely amiss with your network. If possible, it would be useful to try the following things.

1. from the unraid cli - can you ping the gateway? Hopefully you get something back.
# ping 192.168.1.1
2. Can you send the output of two commands? First shows all the interfaces, and the second will show your routing.
# ip a

# ip r

Post that information and we might be able to figure out what's going on.

Hope this helps,

Del

Heres the output of all the commands:

ping 192.168.1.1

image.thumb.png.1cea1957af0b9458ac489340cc042b2d.png

ip a / ip r

image.thumb.png.e435def05ba0823b492fc1afc205e087.png

ifconfig

image.thumb.png.6adde827b2326d2a8a52f55c127bd67f.png

ethtool br0 / ethtool eth0

image.thumb.png.ba2712e3b5d002b3d1436fa74ec523a0.png

18 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

It still look like it is your network issue, seems some blocking between. You use static IP, as you mention you have many device, pls simple try other IP because same IP could be use by others.

For local GUI blank screen issue, this quite common, you should try enable CSM or CSM+UEFI if you boot in UEFI mode.

So CSM is already enabled on my motherboard so is UEFI support. PC specs here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kh4dcT

Thanks, that's good information. To me, it looks like the bridging/bonding part isn't quite right, note how a few pings went through, but in ifconfig we see that eth0 appears down?

I suggest, just for troubleshooting, test out a variation on my network.cfg 
So, make a backup of network.cfg (we can just move it for now)
# mv /boot/config/network.cfg /boot/config/network.cfg.Mar42021.bak
then
make a new file at /boot/config/network.cfg with your favorite editor (vi, nano, pico, whatever). Might be easiest to shutdown - copy the file using another computer to the usb stick and then try restarting with this config file. 

Another thing you might try that is very easy - see what turning off bonding in your config file does? Then see if you get network on either of your network ports by pinging and unplugging the cable. 
and add these contents - I'll try to make it as short as possible (adapted from my working network.cfg) :

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRNICS[0]="eth1"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.80"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
MTU[0]="1500"
IFNAME[1]="eth0"
PROTOCOL[1]="ipv4"
SYSNICS="2"

I have adapted this to use the interface which seems to be UP on your machine eth1 - eth0 seems to be having issues. For now I think I'd unplug eth0, see if this network.cfg works any differently. I find it strange that your config is vastly simpler than mine, but mine is definitely working.

Del

Edited by Delarius
7 minutes ago, Delarius said:

Thanks, that's good information. To me, it looks like the bridging/bonding part isn't quite right, note how a few pings went through, but in ifconfig we see that eth0 appears down?

then
make a new file at /boot/config/network.cfg with your favorite editor (vi, nano, pico, whatever). Might be easiest to shutdown - copy the file using another computer to the usb stick and then try restarting with this config file. 

Another thing you might try that is very easy - see what turning off bonding in your config file does? Then see if you get network on either of your network ports by pinging and unplugging the cable. 
and add these contents - I'll try to make it as short as possible (adapted from my working network.cfg) :

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRNICS[0]="eth1"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.80"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
MTU[0]="1500"
IFNAME[1]="eth0"
PROTOCOL[1]="ipv4"
SYSNICS="2"

I have adapted this to use the interface which seems to be UP on your machine eth1 - eth0 seems to be having issues. For now I think I'd unplug eth0, see if this network.cfg works any differently. I find it strange that your config is vastly simpler than mine, but mine is definitely working.

Del

So I do have a 2.5 gig ethernet card plugged in at the moment. How can I determine if that or the onboad nic is eth0 or eth1?

26 minutes ago, Drackeo said:

So I do have a 2.5 gig ethernet card plugged in at the moment. How can I determine if that or the onboad nic is eth0 or eth1?

At the CLI type:  ethtool --identify eth0

That should cause the lights on the eth0 network interface to blink. 

Note: you will need to Ctrl-C to halt this.

Edited by Hoopster

Try turning bonding off in your existing config file - reboot:

BONDING="no"

And then what I'd do is start a ping test from another computer, and then unplug all network cables, and plug one in - test in all ports. Then try the other cable and do the same thing if needed. And wow, i totally forgot about that ethtool functionality Hoopster, yeah identify the port with ethtool.

Del

Edited by Delarius
1 hour ago, Delarius said:

then

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="yes"
DNS_SERVER1="8.8.8.8"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRNICS[0]="eth1"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.80"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
MTU[0]="1500"
IFNAME[1]="eth0"
PROTOCOL[1]="ipv4"
SYSNICS="2"

Del

So thanks to Hoopster I was able to figure out that eth0 is my nic and eth1 is the pcie card. Ive gone ahead and applied your config as the network.cfg and still no luck :( Im seeing the exact same behavior as before when I re-ran all of the commands.

50 minutes ago, Delarius said:

Try turning bonding off in your existing config file - reboot:

BONDING="no"

And then what I'd do is start a ping test from another computer, and then unplug all network cables, and plug one in - test in all ports. Then try the other cable and do the same thing if needed. And wow, i totally forgot about that ethtool functionality Hoopster, yeah identify the port with ethtool.

Del

Just tested and disabling bonding didnt help any :(

Still getting the same behavior. Any other ideas?