Trying to add Quadro P2200 to my Unraid server........

Kreek123

I am at a loss and could really use some help. I have an Unraid server that I use for Plex. I want to add an Nvidia Quadro P2200 for hardware transcoding and I am having no luck. When I add the P2200, Unraid boots and sees the P2200, but no longer sees my SAS controller or any drives. If I remove the P2200, Unraid will then see the SAS controller and boot fine. I did some research and I think that the issue might be that my SAS controller is PCIe 2.0. So, I purchased a new SAS controller that is a PCIe 3.0, but this one doesn't work at all. Unraid boots with this controller installed (P2200 is not installed) but it will not see any drives. So now I'm back with my original SAS controller installed and Unraid is working with all my drives showing, but I'm sitting here with a $500 video card and a $200 SAS controller on my desk that don't make very good paper-weights. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRockRack X470D4U2-2T

Working SAS controller: LSI SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+SAS Pcie 2.0

New, non-working SAS controller: LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 9341-8i SGL LSI00407

Nvidia GPU: PNY NVIDIA Quadro P2200

Kirk Jones

18 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

You need solve this first, mask B5 B6 at PCIe pin could be try.

So I was able to perform the crossflash of the card with no problems! Thank you for that info. But this line, I'm not really sure about. Could you elaborate as to what this means? I have not tried booting with the new SAS card installed since I flashed it, should I try that before I do anything else?

And thanks again for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Kreek123 said:

So I was able to perform the crossflash of the card with no problems! Thank you for that info. But this line, I'm not really sure about. Could you elaborate as to what this means? I have not tried booting with the new SAS card installed since I flashed it, should I try that before I do anything else?

And thanks again for the help. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Suggest try below method at old HBA 9211, if it can fix the problem then consider flash on new HBA and tape it.

34 minutes ago, Kreek123 said:

So I was able to perform the crossflash of the card with no problems! Thank you for that info. But this line, I'm not really sure about. Could you elaborate as to what this means?

With some cards, it is necessary to mask pins 5 and 6 on the PCIe connector of the HBA with Kapton tape.   I am not sure if that is really needed with your card, but perhaps so.  I did have to mask those pins on my Dell H310 HBA cross flashed to IT mode to get it to work on my ASRock Rack server board.  That really should not generally be an issue with an LSI card.  It is only needed with my Dell card in a non-Dell server.

It might be worth posting your full diagnostics (Tools - Diagnostics from the GUI) so more information about your system is known.  It sounds a bit like you are running out of PCIe lanes and the board can only support one or the other of the cards.  If you only have the HBA and the P2200 installed that should not be the case.  Have you tried swapping the cards around in the PCIe slots?  Sometimes it matters which slot a graphics card uses.

Edited by Hoopster

Ok, so I made some major progress, but now I have a new issue. Unraid is now up and running with the new SAS controller, all 8 drives are recognized and plex is working again. The Nvidia GPU is installed and working providing hardware transcoding for Plex. However, I have a new problem. The one VM on this server now will not start. It just pops up with the error:

Execution Error

Device 0000:22:00.0 not found: could not access

/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:22:00.0/config: No such file or directory

I'm guessing adding the new GPU has changed things around, but now I'm not sure how to resolve this. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

First off sorry to continue this thread but thought id ask here first.

Hey all, i am currently upgrading my unraid/plex machine.

Currently looking at using the following :

asrock x570m pro4 board
ryzen 7 3700x
Quadro P2200
lsi 9211-8i (flashed to IT mode)

will i run into the same issue as OP?

Thanks,

denellum