Does Timemachine work on unraid for BigSur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have done some extended Tests on my M1 Mac with Big Sur 11.5.1 - I had the issue that whatever settings I changed the shares would not show up.

Solution for me was "Follow the official Unraid Time Machine Setup settings in SMB / Interoperability settings" then turn export to "No" and say that it should not export this share. After the save I reenabled the share with YES/Timemaschine setting.

Then I disconnected all the shares that came from Unraid in finder.

And just connected the Time Machine share.

Then I opened the Timemachine settings and selected "Select Volume" and the Unraid share did show up as if it was never an issue :)

Hope I can help some people with the description how I solved the issue with the Timemachine Share not showing up.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks!  This appears to have worked for me.  The key thing is your second point.  Disconnect all of the shares to UnRaid in finder.  At first I just disconnected from the "timemachine" share (but left a couple of other general file shares) but still ran into the same problem of Time Machine not finding the share.

I disconnected from all the shares, reconnected to "timemachine" (and got the icon on my desktop).  Then the share popped up in the Time Machine app.  

Backup is proceeding now.

Edited by sdsmith
(removed HTML tags)
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 3:18 AM, Anubclaw said:

I have done some extended Tests on my M1 Mac with Big Sur 11.5.1 - I had the issue that whatever settings I changed the shares would not show up.

Solution for me was "Follow the official Unraid Time Machine Setup settings in SMB / Interoperability settings" then turn export to "No" and say that it should not export this share. After the save I reenabled the share with YES/Timemaschine setting.

Then I disconnected all the shares that came from Unraid in finder.

And just connected the Time Machine share.

Then I opened the Timemachine settings and selected "Select Volume" and the Unraid share did show up as if it was never an issue :)

Hope I can help some people with the description how I solved the issue with the Timemachine Share not showing up.

Ugh. I tried it several times this way with a few variations thrown in and even used 'defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1'

Nada.

Well sorry to read you still have issues. Make sure you really disconnected all shares from the related server. And connect the share with smb:// server/timemaschine do not use afp:// secret is that Apple uses smb themselves and no longer afp … this may solve the issue - if it does not open an official support request and maybe they can help you after analyzing your servers diagnostic data,  you will have to add the diagnostics zip file to your support request if the above does not work.

• 2 months later...