Replacement Fans For SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 5 in 3 Hot Swap Tray

spencer785

Hi there I just ordered some more replacement fans for my 3 SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 5 in 3 Hot Swap Tray. I originally ordered the Yale Loon 92mm fans but they only moved 25cfm of air and were still 28db.  I now ordered the Noctua NF-B9 92mm fan as it moves 31cfm at only 17db. I was just wondering if anybody else had replaced the fans on there Supermicro Hot Swap Trays and whats one you used. And also if the fans I ordered will work fine and how did you guys manage the long cord on the replacement fans. Thanks

I'm using these on a client's build:

GELID Solutions FN-PX09-20 92mm Case Fan

Air Flow

37.89 CFM

Noise Level

11 - 23.5 dBA

They are the best happy medium I've found between price, airflow, and noise levels.  I bundled up the extra cable very much like it is when the fans are shipped (look at the last picture on the newegg page).  They certainly aren't silent, but they are quiet enough.  Much better than the stock fans on the Supermicro units.

• 2 years later...

Hello all-

Sorry to resurrect this topic.  I am looking at replacing the fans on my Supermicro as well.  Stock fans are just way too loud (anyone have any idea what decibel level the stock fans are at?).  Was looking at the GELID Solutions FN-PX09-20 92mm Case cooling fan that Raj has been using.

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the fans?  Do i have to remove the entire Supermicro cage to replace them?  Any feedback is appreciated.  Server is running well and really don't want to mess with it too much just to make the wife stop complaining about the noise.

Thanks

Hello all-

Sorry to resurrect this topic.  I am looking at replacing the fans on my Supermicro as well.  Stock fans are just way too loud (anyone have any idea what decibel level the stock fans are at?).  Was looking at the GELID Solutions FN-PX09-20 92mm Case cooling fan that Raj has been using.

Anyone know how difficult it is to replace the fans?  Do i have to remove the entire Supermicro cage to replace them?  Any feedback is appreciated.  Server is running well and really don't want to mess with it too much just to make the wife stop complaining about the noise.

Thanks

Replacing them is easy. The fan cradle can be pulled of quite easily as it just clicks in place.

After that its just 4screws holding the fans in place.

I have about 3cm max between the fan cage and the next case fan. And this was no problem to remove the fan cages and replace the fans without removing the bay itself.

I'm running the stock fans again. My server is in the basement so noise is not an issue and the stock fans move quite the amount of air.

Disconnecting the fan wit the power on will logically set the cage's alarm off.

You need fans with high static pressure to be able to pull the air through the narrow channels in those cages. When I was using those cages I put Noctua NF-B9 fans in there. They're pricey but there's a reason for it. I tried using another brand of quiet fans in them before I got the Noctuas. I put the Noctua's in there and the average temperature of the drives dropped by about 6 to 7 degrees Celsius. The Noctuas as completely silent too. I can't recommend them more highly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608005

• 1 year later...

I tried the Noctua B9s too - slightly better than the F9s but not great, still > 37degC drive temps under prolonged access. The A9 should be slightly better. Neither have particularly high static pressure ratings. They certainly aren't silent either when running full speed. Ive gone back to the standard fans with a voltage reduction to keep them remotely bearable but Im on the hunt for a replacement still.

• 3 years later...

Not wanting to start a new thread. I just purchased 2 SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B cages and purchased 2 Noctua A9's to replace the stock fans to save room in the case and for improved air flow. Any suggestions on slimmer cases for the replacement fans or alternative ways to mount is to the back of the cage?

On 10/5/2017 at 3:31 PM, DJRon said:

Not wanting to start a new thread. I just purchased 2 SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B cages and purchased 2 Noctua A9's to replace the stock fans to save room in the case and for improved air flow. Any suggestions on slimmer cases for the replacement fans or alternative ways to mount is to the back of the cage?

So there is really no advantage going with the thinner fans; it the same fan cases have to be used.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:24 AM, DJRon said:

So there is really no advantage going with the thinner fans; it the same fan cases have to be used.

Is it possible to just cable tie the A9s to the back of the enclosure where the plastic bit normally clips in, and just leave the plastic bit off? I'm considering NF-A9s for my case and that was going to be my plan.