remote SSH in latest unraid with rclone

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is potentially exciting new but I need some help.

My current setup:

I have a remote unraid backup server that I am currently running Minio on with letsencrypt.

I use rclone on my home unraid server to make encrypted backups to the remote unraid.

I eventually want to move away fro mhaving to rely on another app like Minio, and rclone support SSH as its destination.

------

I saw that there were some updates to the latest unraid version that supposedly make SSH easier? When I originally researched how to set up the backup system and after much trial and error before coming up with my current plan, I ran across someone using rsync with SSH, with no password, but that was so complicated to get keys, etc... that I just abandoned it.

Would this be easier with the new unraid updates? Could someone give any suggestions? I wanted to use SFTP, however, unraid didn't have a way to set that up. Is the new SSH update worth persuing now to have a secure and encrypted file transfer with rclone so that I could move away from relying on Minio?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I posted this in the general help forum but haven't received any responses. Maybe you folks could help me here?

Here is the post that I made:

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is potentially exciting new but I need some help.

My current setup:

I have a remote unraid backup server that I am currently running Minio on with letsencrypt.

I use rclone on my home unraid server to make encrypted backups to the remote unraid.

I eventually want to move away fro mhaving to rely on another app like Minio, and rclone support SSH as its destination.

------

I saw that there were some updates to the latest unraid version that supposedly make SSH easier? When I originally researched how to set up the backup system and after much trial and error before coming up with my current plan, I ran across someone using rsync with SSH, with no password, but that was so complicated to get keys, etc... that I just abandoned it.

Would this be easier with the new unraid updates? Could someone give any suggestions? I wanted to use SFTP, however, unraid didn't have a way to set that up. Is the new SSH update worth persuing now to have a secure and encrypted file transfer with rclone so that I could move away from relying on Minio?

Well, the changes in 6.9.0 for SSH just mainly allows the ssh keys to persist across reboots without any user intervention. This eliminates the need for the hacks we've all created and pooled together to copy keys from storage during bootup.

However, Unraid still does not have any GUI tools for generating the keys, but for most users using ssh, they already know how to do this on the CLI.

A quick way  (if you are using Windows) is to download Putty from here https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html (or even just puttygen.exe) and use that to generate the key you need (exporting it in openssh format)

Also SFTP is builtin in to most NAS/servers that have SSH enabled

And if you want to get started but are bothered by the complexity of the SSH keys thing, you can encode your remote password into the rclone config (though most security experts would frown on this)

Edited by ken-ji
19 hours ago, ken-ji said:

Well, the changes in 6.9.0 for SSH just mainly allows the ssh keys to persist across reboots without any user intervention. This eliminates the need for the hacks we've all created and pooled together to copy keys from storage during bootup.

However, Unraid still does not have any GUI tools for generating the keys, but for most users using ssh, they already know how to do this on the CLI.

A quick way  (if you are using Windows) is to download Putty from here https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html (or even just puttygen.exe) and use that to generate the key you need (exporting it in openssh format)

Also SFTP is builtin in to most NAS/servers that have SSH enabled

And if you want to get started but are bothered by the complexity of the SSH keys thing, you can encode your remote password into the rclone config (though most security experts would frown on this)

Thanks Kenji,

I thought this would make things easier. I think it was your posts that I came across a few years back on how to set up keys, and I remember it was not a simple thing to do, or even set up the remote SSH in the first place. I thought this would have made things easier in the update