Disable Web GUI root & password login prompt

Huh?  You just said you had access to the WebGUI.  If you need access to SSH then you have to have a password.  This is part of 6.9, and no easy way around it.  I don't see how you're "hosed".  If you insist on having no password and insist on having SSH access your solution is to go back to 6.8.3

55 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

Well  SNAP.  Before I didn't have web gui nor ssh root passwd.  After I set it by mistake now I am hosed.  There is gotta be a way to get back to what I had?

May I ask why you want to connect to SSH without password? Because there is always the possibility to login via RSA keys if you don't want to type passwords.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

So long as you have a password, you will always get asked after a reboot, etc.  Remove the password via the users tab  (change the password to a "space" on both entries, then remove what you just typed and hit apply)

Man this is absolutely CRAP and still doesn't work. So darn FRUSTRATING.  I changed the password as per your instruction with the space and now I can get into the Web GUI without a prompt but the console ssh no longer works.  I have to setup a root password again in the GUI and then I can log into ssh but I also get a prompt into the web GUI again.

How do I setup the root password for ssh access and no prompt into the web GUI?  Can't be that darn hard can it? 

Edited by johnwhicker
18 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

How do I setup the root password for ssh access and no prompt into the web GUI?

You can't.  

1 hour ago, Opawesome said:

... connect to SSH without password? Because there is always the possibility to login via RSA keys if you don't want to type passwords.

6.9 requires a password to login via SSH.  If it worked after the upgrade, then it only worked by accident.

But what you want is effectively pointless (No GUI password, but password for SSH) since if you don't set a password for the GUI, you've still got access to the terminal via the icon within the GUI.

Why do you need no password on the GUI and a password on SSH?

• 2 years later...