Users deleted after reboot

In short

If I reboot my server all of my users are deleted and the root account has no password configured. I cannot find any reason why Limetech would design UNRAID this way and provide no support at all. 

Some information about the server

- Autostart on Array, Dockers and VMs are working properly.

- The user shares in the global share settings are enabled.

- I tried all of the possible settings on the appdata share but nothing is resolving the stupid behaviour.

- Issue is still happening before and after update to version 6.9.

Systeminformation

Unraid system: Unraid server Plus, version 6.9.0

Model:Custom

Motherboard:ASRock - X570 Taichi

Processor:AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core @ 3.8 GHz

HVM:Enabled

IOMMU:Enabled

Cache:L1 - Cache = 768 kB (max. capacity 768 kB)

L2 - Cache = 6 MB (max. capacity 6 MB)

L3 - Cache = 64 MB (max. capacity 64 MB)

Memory:64 GB (max. installable capacity 128 GB)

DIMM 0 = 32 GB, 2133 MT/s

DIMM 1 = 32 GB, 2133 MT/s

Network:bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 1000Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel:Linux 5.10.19-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL:1.1.1i

P + Q algorithm:20785 MB/s + 32400 MB/s

Uptime:0 days, 0 hours, 18 minutes, 24 seconds

If anyone got an Idea to rectify this issue I gladly take your advice.

Really not happy with this operating system, seems like everything is broken.

Best regards

root4all

I use USB 3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2 since my motherboard has no USB 2.0.

Small update since yesterday

Yesterday evening I checked the i/o shield and found a second USB with another Unraid image on it (I must have left the second one in the system after some test with BIOS or UEFI boot. If I unplug the second USB (only test license) I cannot boot the system, the error goes (No bootable device found...).

I then checked the contents of both USB devices and only one had a valid license, the other expired. 

They both were on version 6.8 and I didn't see any reads from the second USB after boot (reads = 0), so I don't know why the system doesn't like me to unplug the second USB since there is no valid data on it. 

Since I already installed a couple of dockers and VMs I didn't want to redo all of the configurations on the Unraid server, yet the issue is pretty significant.

To ensure that the system loads from the correct USB, I made the system update to version 6.9.

After installing the update successfully the system required a reboot, which I did.

The system was running but no web ui could be found, yet the system told me it was running on the static IP I gave it.

After I checked both USB devices I saw only the main USB (with valid license) was actually updated to version 6.9, the second one didn't.

I tried a few things (loading with UI) but couldn't find any solution.

So what, seems like my system requires the second USB to start all services correctly.

I therefore booted with the second USB only (with the expired license and nothing configured) and was happy to see that I can update to version 6.9 inside the webui.

Nice, after that, I was able to boot again... but only with both USB devices.

It seems like the system needs the second USB to boot correctly ant loads the files from the main USB for the configured settings, the user auth must be loaded in the first step or they are saved somewhere else. 

My motherboard is running with CSM enabled and the webui confirms that the system runs on UEFI.

** just made a reboot while writing and saw a error message "could not write /boot/config...." but I didn't saw all of it.

** On the next reboot, the message was not displayed anymore.

Can I check USB sticks if the installation is on UEFI or BIOS only?

Having 2 Unraid flash drives at the same time is asking for trouble and is the cause of all your problems.

The config folder on flash has everything you need to start with a new install and get your configuration back. Figure out which flash drive has the correct config folder and make a copy of it.

The license is also on flash in the config folder. But, each flash has its own license and won't work with the license of another flash.

Make a new install on the correct flash drive, copy the config folder, copy the correct license for that flash to that config folder and try again with only that single flash drive.

• Thanks 1

I did as you told and it worked for some time, but as soon as I used a VM the system crashed and now the VMs and webui is not working anymore. 

The docker containers are working and when I connect the device to a monitor, the system has started and seems to work fine.

IP and so on are set properly, I can even use some dockers but no UI of Unraid itself. 

I tried different browers and computers, I always get the message "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".

I guess it worked for some time... even users were working and shares.

After some time I repeated the steps you mentioned but it is not working, even with the config folder that worked the first time.

Can this issue be caused due to 2 GPUs? 

I found the issue regarding the webui. 

The naming of the device was off when I created the new USB stick.

Thanks to your help the users are now saved and some other issues are resolved as well.

One last question, it seems like the top GPU (first PCI-E lane) is used for the system, as I'm using a AMD processor.

I made a VM using this GPU and after I started the VM, the system crashed and rebooted.

This makes me to assume, that Unraid needs a GPU for system stability when using a AMD CPU.

Can I change the system GPU? For example switch from PCI-E lane 1 to PCI-E lane 2 or do I have to switch the ports?

Thanks in advance and best regards