Win10 VM UEFI Shell Error

Hi All,

I am new to UnRaid and never have setup a Windows10 VM but being obligated to do so because my Unassigned Devices app does not support Optical Drives. In short, my UnRaid OS indicates the Win10 VM is started as shown in JPG below. However when I select "VNC Remote" command the result I get does not match what I see in SpaceInvader One video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miYUGWq6l24

In short, I do not see the Windows10 OS Install dialog windows.  What I see instead is the UEFI Interactive Shell JPG shown below.  Can someone in the community please clarify the following for me:

Why is my Windows10 OS failing to appear inside my "No VNC" window after I select "VNC Remote" command?

How do I get pass this UEFI Interactive Shell screen?

What is the correct text to enter after the "Shell>" prompt so my Windows10 OS boots up correctly?

I have hit a break wall and the SpaceInvader One YouTube video is no longer any help since he does not explain how to solve this UEFI window error.  Therefore, any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

VNC Window2.jpg

VNC Window1.jpg

Edited by slipstream
2 hours ago, slipstream said:

YouTube video is no longer any help since he does not explain how to solve this UEFI window error.

You can try typing "exit" at the shell prompt to see if that takes you to the Tianocore BIOS screen as it did for me.  Once there, you may need to select the UEFI DVDROM as your boot device and then you should be on your way.

If I recall correctly, "exit"ing the shell is what got me going.

Edited by Hoopster
5 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I set mine to SATA and still got the Shell> prompt. I was able to get out of it, however.

From memory, it will also pop up with a press any key to boot from CD/DVD prompt... but often is too quick (damn SSDs!) and has already dropped to shell by the time VNC is established.

Hoopster, Tjb_altf4 and ManHands thank you for the postings.  As a newbie I find it interesting the BIOS I see in my Win10 VM is not a duplicate of my SuperMicro Motherboard BIOS.  I entered EXIT after the Shell> prompt and this got me to the BIOS shown in the 3 JPGs below. I hope I can have somebody pinpoint what BIOS Parameter I need to focus on changing.  I see two DVD drives in the Boot Manager menu and I do not see any SATA parameter.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Bios3.jpg

Bios2.jpg

Bios4.jpg

Edited by slipstream

To All,

Selecting the "UEFI QEMU DVD-ROM QM00001" parameter correctly invokes the Windows10 OS.  Thanks for the help. 

Can somebody clarify why my Windows10 VM is booting up from a DVD drive?  Logically, I think the correct type of device is a SATA drive.  However, I couldn't find such a Parameter.   

Hi All,

I encountered another problem I hope somebody can clarify.  It relates to how Windows Setup cannot find a drive to install the OS to.   The JPG below shows the drives my VM is assigned to.  Any help on what is the best way I can move forward with my Win10 OS install will be greatly appreciated.   Thank you for your time.

Windows Install 1.JPG

Windows Install 2.jpg

To All,
Selecting the "UEFI QEMU DVD-ROM QM00001" parameter correctly invokes the Windows10 OS.  Thanks for the help. 

Can somebody clarify why my Windows10 VM is booting up from a DVD drive?  Logically, I think the correct type of device is a SATA drive.  However, I couldn't find such a Parameter.   

A VM BIOS has nothing to do with your actual motherboard. VM stuff is a virtualization of actual hardware. The bus types in the VM config will specify what type of devices are emulated. I set mine to USB 3, SATA, etc.

At some point in the install, you will also need to specify virtual disk drivers before you can select a “disk” to which to install Windows. You will also need to install network and other drivers by looking for drivers on the virtual DVD drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Hoopster. 

The JPG below I think relates to what you mention about installing drivers.   I am choosing the W10 driver.  This is my first VM I have ever installed so I am really moving forward very slowly because I don't want my VM to be installed incorrectly.   Thank fo the help.

Windows Install 5.jpg