Lots of disk failures

29 minutes ago, salamuel said:

We've got an Unraid server running with 8 disks + 1 parity drive and 1 cache SSD. Mainly for usenet and Plex.

The problem is, every 1-2 months we have a disk failing and need to replace it. Is this normal? Is there something we can do to prevent this?

Thanks!

What do you mean by failing? Unraid disables drives if a write fails, but that's typically caused by cabling or adapter issues. Actual disk failure isn't common unless the disks are abused.

Yes, the disks are disabled in most cases. For example, I just did the update to 6.9.0, and after that one drive was disabled.

But we didn't touch the server physically at all - so I doubt it's a cabling issue.

Do you think I can just enable them again?

That many repeated errors suggests a controller issue. A write failed, so the disk must be rebuilt with current information. The diagnostics zip file might contain some clues as to the reason of the failure. The best scenario would be diagnostics collected just after the disk was disabled and before the server was rebooted.

Whether or not the disk is a good candidate to rebuild depends on the health of the disk, the SMART report contained in the diagnostics would give some indication of whether the disk is ok.