Disk in Error State after 6.9.0 Upgrade (couple of disks, couple of times)

Hi - this has now happened three times, but earlier I wasn't sure whether it was because my Flash drive was full up.  Drive 1 and 24 went into error state separately, and after a flash replacement, disk 24 has just done it again.  Disks 1 & 24 are the newest drives in my array, and running a check on them has returned no errors.  Unassigned, start, stop, reassign and rebuild returned to normal for a day or so.

All 24 data drives are connected to a Supermicro backplane via a reverse breakout SAS cable from 4 SAS ports on the motherboard.  Didn't have a problem on 6.8.3, but not pointing fingers as have replaced fans recently (case rebuild).

Got a diagnostics file this time.  Kinda sure drives are OK, but any idea what keeps happening?

unraid1-diagnostics-20210308-2329.zip

Edited by Cessquill
10 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Are they connected to an LSI? If yes please post diags just to see if there's something different.

Yes mine are connected to a 9211-8i, but its been rebooted since the error because the tips and tweaks plugin broke my webui and i had to remove it and reboot the system.

I haven't had errors yet, but if they appear again ill post them. it was 26 read errors that popped up.

I do have two other ST4000VN008 also plugged into an LSI's cards not having problems and 2x ST8000VN004 but those are plugged into the onboard SATA Controller of my motherboard.

Edited by Maticks
21 minutes ago, Maticks said:

when you rollback it appears the cache drive pulls itself from the pool, it's in unassigned you will need to add it back in.

Just in case you freak out like me. 

Thanks.  I've got a flash backup here that I should be good to copy over and reboot.

The only thing I'm wary about is that I've changed my USB stick since upgrading - not sure whether it'll still show up as licensed on a previous install.

3 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Thanks.  I've got a flash backup here that I should be good to copy over and reboot.

The only thing I'm wary about is that I've changed my USB stick since upgrading - not sure whether it'll still show up as licensed on a previous install.

you should be able to go to tools/ update os and click restore on the right. it rolls it all back you just do that and reboot.

19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

For now I'm only interest in the ST8000VN004 when connected to an LSI.

Just so I can learn something, is LSI referring to the SAS ports on my motherboard?  I have enough SATA ports for the 4 drives in question, but not enough space or molex/SATA power splitters.

And when a drive goes into error state because of this, is rebuilding its contents the only way to get it back into the array?

• Cessquill changed the title to Disk in Error State after 6.9.0 Upgrade (couple of disks, couple of times)