Unmountable: No File System (Disk 9, Disk 8 is currently rebuilding)

So had an issue with disk 8 (found out its an issue with that specific bay, not the HDD). So I went ahead and stopped the array, swapped the drive to another bay. Started the array, so it would rebuild it on to same drive from parity. That process is going fine, should be about 8 hours to rebuild it.

The issue is disk 9 upon starting the array now says unmountable: no file system. I'm going to let the rebuild finish before I touch anything. After its finished, what should I about disk 9? I'm posting my diagnostics, hopefully that helps.

tower-diagnostics-20210308-1546.zip

Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: mdcmd (9): import 8
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: md: import_slot: 8 empty
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: mdcmd (10): import 9
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: md: import_slot: 9 missing

Why did disk9 go missing when you were getting ready to rebuild disk8?

28 minutes ago, jabonline said:

issue with disk 8 (found out its an issue with that specific bay, not the HDD)

Could also be a problem with the disk. You should monitor SMART attribute 1 and 200 on WD RED disks. Also noticed that disk did not have an extended SMART test.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: mdcmd (9): import 8
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: md: import_slot: 8 empty
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: mdcmd (10): import 9
Mar  8 15:33:17 Tower kernel: md: import_slot: 9 missing

Why did disk9 go missing when you were getting ready to rebuild disk8?

Could also be a problem with the disk. You should monitor SMART attribute 1 and 200 on WD RED disks. Also noticed that disk did not have an extended SMART test.

While the array was offline I pulled the drive and put it in the same slot as the drive that was having issues as I wanted to see if it was a drive issue or a drive bay slot issue. Ya that was probably a dumb idea, should have just used a spare un-used drive instead of using one with live data on it.

The WD Red drive had a pre-clear earlier this week (work in IT, got it used from a client, but I'm pretty confident it has plenty of life left in it). So that's why I wanted to test the drive bay as it seemed odd that it passed the pre-clear and then died a couple days later.

So rebuild completed. I started in maintenance mode and did an xfs_repair. It told me I needed to do it with -L, so I went ahead and did that, still no dice after stopping the array from maintenance mode and starting it normally. I'm attaching what the xfs_repair told me, is there anything else to do before looking at actually having to look at actually trying to do actual data recovery on it?

I've pulled the drive, I'm only going to run it on the emulated disk, so if I have to look at pro data recovery services that should give them the best chance of recovering data from the disk.

xfs_repair.txt

Edited by jabonline

So using Linux File Systems for Windows by Paragon and a USB adapter I plugged the drive in and see all the files, copying them now. I'm not sure why this program can mount (in read only mode) and see/copy the data, but it looks like its mostly intact, might be a few corrupt files, but it looks like all my moms pictures are at least mostly intact. Really that's the only thing on it that looks important. Everything else stored on this specific drive looks to just be TV/Movies, I'll dig a bit deeper, but so far that looks to be the only "important files" on this drive.

tower-diagnostics-20210309-0813.zip

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

XFS (md9): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 5cbc417e-05c1-46d6-8b6f-e54881ce73f4 - can't mount

This usually happens when the disk is already mounted by UD or manually.

Hum, in the web interface its saying Unmountable: No File System and not sure how there would be a duplicate uuid, the disk is being emulated and the actual drive is removed. I certainly have not mounted it manually...

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

after array start

Thanks, reboot fixed it. Now to get proper backups going for the "important stuff". Probably only 20% needs backing up, the rest is just media/software installs that can be downloaded again if necessary. Oh and test VM's that I'll probably never use again and probably should just delete at this point anyways.