Unraid OS version 6.9.1 available

Anyone else having issues with NVME drives since the 6.9.X releases?

ASUS X299 TUF MK2 Motherboard

ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 card (2x NVME drives inside this (1x Seagate FireCuda 510 and 1x Sabrent Rocket Q  - BOTH detected ok)

1x ADATA 2TB XPG Spectrix S40G (connected direct to the motherboard and is NOT shown in UNRAID since 6.9.x releases....)

Anyone know what could cause this?

Works fine in Windows, Ubuntu 20.x etc... 

Edited by ne10g
5 hours ago, Squid said:

All on the same motherboard as what you're running Unraid on?

It was yes.

Managed to sort it, no matter what settings I changed, nothing showed. I re-flashed the BIOS as a last gasp attempt (same version) and now it shows.

Very strange (same BIOS version as I had with older versions of UNRAID)

Gramlins in the BIOS somewhere I guess?

On 3/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, TDD said:

I believe it to be an issue in any recent merge into the combined mpt3sas driver and kernel.  It was all fine under 4.19.  Disable and await any non-firmware fixes later.  You can then re-enable the aggressive power saving if you wish.

I have had zero issue since this fix across all my controllers that are LSI based.

Kev.

Hello Kev, just checking in with you to see if you still have had no issues with your Seagate drives?  I have the Seagate tool on a flash drive ready to go, but I'm  holding off for a while to see if the super Unraid team will fix this in the next update or not.  I would rather they address this issue so I do not have to make changes to the drives.  The other concern is all of my data drives are Seagate, so if things go wrong, it will be really bad for me.  My server has been up and running with 6.8.3 for 322 days straight without any issues.  Yes, I'm knocking on wood right now LOL.

Did you officially report this as a bug?  From what you stated, it sounds like a mpt3sas driver / kernel issues that could be fixed in a future unraid update.  With so many people using Seagate drives, I'm surprised that there are not more people reporting issues after updating.

So, I just upgraded to 6.9.1 and found a bug.

On 6.9 beta 30 that I was on before, setting the CPU governor to "Schedutil" would allow my ryzen 2600x to turbo to it's full ~4ghz speeds with on demand and performance limiting it to 3.6ghz.

With the update to 6.9.1 Schedutil now also is limited to 3.6ghz and none of them appear to allow turbo past that.

Also noticed in netdata I am no longer able to see vcore and CPU current for some reason, going to reboot and see if maybe it is just a driver loading issue.

54 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

On 6.9 beta 30 that I was on before, setting the CPU governor to "Schedutil" would allow my ryzen 2600x to turbo to it's full ~4ghz speeds with on demand and performance limiting it to 3.6ghz.

With the update to 6.9.1 Schedutil now also is limited to 3.6ghz and none of them appear to allow turbo past that.

Unraid has nothing to do with CPU governors.  The schedutil governor has been under development, and still is as far as I know.  it has probably changed in the latest version of Linux causing the differences you see.

8 hours ago, dlandon said:

Unraid has nothing to do with CPU governors.  The schedutil governor has been under development, and still is as far as I know.  it has probably changed in the latest version of Linux causing the differences you see.

I don't think that the governor itself is the issue necessarily.

Since the vcore and current readings from the CPU are missing as well, that would lead me to believe that it is actually some kind of driver issue.

The vcore and currents should show up if all the drivers are working properly.

Edited by TexasUnraid
11 minutes ago, John_M said:

Oh, OK. That isn't part of Unraid either, then. Where does it get that information from? Is it the SuperI/O chip, such as Nuvoton or ITE?

I didn't say it was part of unraid. I said it not displaying those values indicates that there is an issue with the driver as it worked before the update and I did not mess with the docker. Combined with the CPU not boosting to the correct speed backs up some kind of wider issue then just the governor changed.

I don't know the in depth details but it pulls from the kernel /direct from hardware for a lot of things. Everything it displays can be seen from linux itself generally, it just puts it together with nice pretty graphs.

If the driver is missing, then the graphs will not work, if the driver is installed they work.

I am still new to linux so that is about the limit of my knowledge on the matter.

I have also noticed that if I put a heavy load on the CPU the server restarted twice today which further makes me think it could be a driver issue of some sort. Although I was putting it under heavier load then normal so can't 100% say it was connected but it is out of the ordinary for sure.

19 minutes ago, TexasUnraid said:

I don't know the in depth details but it pulls from the kernel /direct from hardware for a lot of things. Everything it displays can be seen from linux itself generally,

If you go to the terminal and type "sensors" what do you see?  On my board it is the Nuvoton nct6791 providing voltage info.

Here is what I see for my board and I am running unRAID 6.9.1:

image.thumb.png.d90779a4a0e63a3d1aa430dc99c315d0.png

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If you go to the terminal and type "sensors" what do you see?  On my board it is the Nuvoton nct6791 providing voltage info.

Here is what I see for my board and I am running unRAID 6.9.1:

image.thumb.png.d90779a4a0e63a3d1aa430dc99c315d0.png

Here is what it says, looks like it has the motherboard voltages but not the CPU voltage / current.

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
CPU Temp:     +44.5°C  
Tdie:         +44.5°C  

nct6797-isa-0a20
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:           800.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)
in1:             1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in2:             3.36 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in3:             3.31 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in4:           1000.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in5:           152.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in6:           744.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in7:             3.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in8:             3.30 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in9:             1.84 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in10:            0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
in11:          712.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in12:            1.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in13:          672.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in14:            1.53 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
Array Fan:      952 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
Array Fan:     1288 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
Array Fan:     1553 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
Array Fan:      870 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
SYSTIN:         +40.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = CPU diode
CPUTIN:         +44.0°C  (high = +112.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN0:        +40.0°C  (high = +112.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN1:       -128.0°C    sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN2:        +42.0°C    sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN3:         -2.0°C    sensor = thermistor
SMBUSMASTER 0:  +44.5°C  
intrusion0:    ALARM
intrusion1:    ALARM
beep_enable:   disabled

I used to see 2 separate sections in netdata, one would have the motherboard voltages and the other would have the CPU voltage and current. These are the same values as the motherboard readings.

I could be wrong, just find it odd that the voltage and current disappeared at the same time that turbo boost stopped working.

Honestly I plan to switch motherboards in the semi-near future anyways, mostly reporting this issue in case others have it.

Although the random restarts earlier today were not comforting.

I upgraded from 6.8.3 to 6.9.1 and while at it finally upgrade my flash drive from a OLD 2gig that was from sometime before 2010. VMs and dockers seem to be working fine now and main array and cache normal. I created a new pool "archive_one" with 6 * 4tb sas drives. Now trying to rebalance it to raid6 instead of default raid 1. I started it last night and it ran for over 8 hours displaying this

Data, RAID1: total=1.00GiB, used=0.00B
    System, RAID1: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
    Metadata, RAID1: total=2.00GiB, used=128.00KiB
    GlobalReserve, single: total=3.25MiB, used=16.00KiB

btrfs balance status:

Balance on '/mnt/archive_one' is running
    2 out of about 3 chunks balanced (3 considered),  33% left

Since then i tried again a couple times while also watching the log (below). Sometimes it would go right to the above display and then nothing, sometimes UI showed sometimes like above but with 1 of 3 chunks 2 considered 66% left. Both UI displays had the same log output of a quick blurb and then nothing else printed out and main page there are no reads/writes on the drives which confirms that nothing is happening.

Apr 6 19:40:13 Raza ool www[15440]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/btrfs_balance 'start' '/mnt/archive_one' ''
Apr 6 19:40:13 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): balance: start -d -m -s
Apr 6 19:40:13 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): relocating block group 9861857280 flags metadata|raid1
Apr 6 19:40:13 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): found 3 extents, stage: move data extents
Apr 6 19:40:13 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): relocating block group 9828302848 flags system|raid1
Apr 6 19:40:14 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): found 1 extents, stage: move data extents
Apr 6 19:40:14 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): relocating block group 8754561024 flags data|raid1
Apr 6 19:40:14 Raza kernel: BTRFS info (device sdak1): balance: ended with status: 0

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy
typo
5 hours ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

I started it last night and it ran for over 8 hours displaying this

Balance of an empty pool should take a few seconds, balance start command is missing some arguments, unclear why, please start a thread in the general support forum and attach the complete diagnostics.zip

• Like 1