6.9.1 Update - Broke Transcoding again.....

Really not impressed with the updates they keep providing.

The last 2 have broken the system ..... Plex and Emby both halted if you use transcoding for your media.

It seems to have a problem with transcoding if you have it installed.

Just delete the containers for Emby and/or Plex - BUT NOT THE IMAGE - and reinstall without the transcode portion of the settings.

Both back up and running .....a-g-a-i-n ....

Toolmanz

Edited by toolmanz
25 minutes ago, toolmanz said:

Really not impressed with the updates they keep providing.

The last 2 have broken the system ..... Plex and Emby both halted if you use transcoding for your media.

It seems to have a problem with transcoding if you have it installed.

Just delete the containers for Emby and/or Plex - BUT NOT THE IMAGE - and reinstall without the transcode portion of the settings.

Both back up and running .....a-g-a-i-n ....

Toolmanz

Obviously, had that happened to me, I would also be frustrated.  However, it is clearly not a generic problem that affects everyone.  I have been through updates to 6.9.0 RCs, 6.9.0 and 6.9.1 and hardware transcoding has continued to work for me without any problem in both Plex and HandBrake (I don't use Emby) on two servers.  If that were a general issue, there would be many, many complaints in these forums.

Since adding the modprobe i915 capability directly to unRAID was a new feature in 6.9.0, I am sure it was tested extensively in their labs.  The real problem is they cannot test all hardware, docker, plugin, VM, etc. combinations and, invariably, there are scenarios where problems appear.

The good news is you found a solution that works for you but it would still be nice if the real problem was able to be identified.  There were some docker related issues for some in the latest upgrade and perhaps that affected you.

I do understand the complexity of doing system updates for a wide variety of client systems. The frustration is that I have to reboot the server and my clients only provide me a very narrow window of opportunity to reboot. 

I have a Dell R710 server and the transcode function has been working just fine all along through a few updates except for the last 2.

I suspect its the new nvidia inclusions in 6.9 that are at the centre of the problems.  I did move over to a new new nvidia plugin by ich777. (perhaps that is a suspect since it is all that has changed).

I suspect that is the problem. 

Just going to leave transcoding off for now and see how things go.

Also, couldn't get my hands on the release notes for 6.9.1  and since there is a 6.9.1 so close after the 6.9 release tells me they have a serious problem they are trying to fix. So searched again and found this:  "ich777 will need to update his driver plugins for the new kernel, users that rely on Nvidia, iSCSI, DVB, Mellanox (and maybe more) plugins should keep that in mind before updating". 

I'm sure they will fix it in the fullness of time. 

Now on to Sonarr and Swag dockers to fix their problems. 🙄

Cheers

toolmanz

• toolmanz changed the title to 6.9.1 Update - Broke Transcoding again.....

What are you using as your Nvidia plugin? I am using the ich777 plugin which was updated yesterday. 

I had to remove the plex docker settings related to transcoding, remove the docker and reinstall it. 

That solved it for me with assistance from other users of course. 

😉

Cheers

Toolmanz

Just an update on this; decided not to remove the docker, rather just the transcoding related options, and once recreated diabling and then disabling HW transocding in plex, restarting the container, and then reenabling HW transcoding.  This seemed to solve the issue, however did have some challenges with using the /tmp directory (ram disk essentially) as a temp transcode folder.  Disabling this was required for getting it to work, however it could have just been an issue with me trying to test from various browsers on the same client machine.  Confirmed with external clients that everything was working as expected, but will revist the tmp transcode folder issue when I have more time; was working just fine with 6.8.3.

1 hour ago, loond said:

Just an update on this; decided not to remove the docker, rather just the transcoding related options, and once recreated diabling and then disabling HW transocding in plex, restarting the container, and then reenabling HW transcoding.  This seemed to solve the issue, however did have some challenges with using the /tmp directory (ram disk essentially) as a temp transcode folder.  Disabling this was required for getting it to work, however it could have just been an issue with me trying to test from various browsers on the same client machine.  Confirmed with external clients that everything was working as expected, but will revist the tmp transcode folder issue when I have more time; was working just fine with 6.8.3.

Ran across this post regarding using tmp in transcoding....might be helpful.

Cheers