[Solved] HGST HUS726020ALA610 and 6.9.0/6.9.1 weird behaviour

HBA Controller: LSI 9300-8e

Backplane: Supermicro BPN-SAS2-EL1

Drives changing behaviour of Unraid and HBA: 5x HGST HUS726020ALA610 (total 24 drives at backplane)

These 5x SATA devices behave like a SAS device.

After install of 6.9.0/6.9.1 the Unraid server hosting five of these HUS726020ALA610 drives behaves completely different.

1.) For the first time in many years, the Activity LED on the Drive Carrier is "solid on" (blue). The description for this is called "SAS/NVMe drive installed". No other SATA drive models showed or show "solid on". They report "I/O activity (blinking blue)" but no "solid blue". 

2.) If these drives are connected to a HBA, the HBA behaves different too. Unraid fails to spindown drives. In fact all 24 drives are affected and don't spin down any longer. Standard spindown is broken at this point. "SAS spindown" app needs to be installed to overcome that problem.

3.) Unraid GUI fails to show SMART values. Again all 24 drives are affected. The "Attributes" section on the SMART page is empty. "smartctl -a" still works. Before somebody asks: The drives were spun up while trying to show SMART values in Unraud GUI.

4.) In two identical VMs the disk-by-id prefix for all drives changes from "ata*" to "scsi*". When removing the HGST SATA drives it changes back to "ata*". Weird is, while /dev/disk/by-id shows "scsi*" prefix, Unraid/Tools/System Devices still shows "ATA" instead:

ata-TOSHIBA_HDWE140_Y75DK1KLF58D --> scsi-3500003990b8815e3

Is it possible that various drives are SATA drives but report a SAS drive to the controller? Is it possible that the MegaRAID driver has a bug?

Perhaps this is the reason for other peoples spindown problems.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by hawihoney
4 hours ago, hawihoney said:

After install of 6.9.0/6.9.1 the Unraid server hosting five of these HUS726020ALA610 drives behaves completely different.

The "Attributes" section on the SMART page is empty. "smartctl -a" still works.

I got same issue that attribute show similar result ( mine revision 4 and you were 16 ) on a disk with USB bridge (SAT mode access), but it will show all attribute if click download "report"

Your case haven't bridge but those disk have Instant Secure Erase (ISE) feature, But I haven't further troubleshoot or report here, it likely a bug.

3.) Unraid GUI fails to show SMART values (all 24 drives are affected

I haven't notice that because I have one disk only.

I have other 7K6 disks ( no ISE ), confirm no problem on 6.9.0 / 6.9.1

Edited by Vr2Io
  • hawihoney changed the title to [Solved] HGST HUS726020ALA610 and 6.9.0/6.9.1 weird behaviour