24/7 Server (<10W) with Solar Panels ?

UNRA1DUser

Hello Everyone,

I want to have a server system that consumes very little in idle (<10W) but still has power. And on top of that powered via solar panels with the automated possibility to switch to mains power (if the solar power is no longer sufficient).

Have any of you run a server via solar panels ? Or at least covered part of the electricity costs with it? Does it make sense ?

How did you set it up and what did you buy? What hardware do you use ?

I am interested in this topic. But before I start to buy something I wanted to exchange with you first.

PS: I hope this topic is right here -> If not please move :)

Edited by UNRA1DUser
  • UNRA1DUser changed the title to 24/7 Server (<10W) with Solar Panels ?

A noble goal, but a lot of technology/expense for very little benefit (ecological or economic)

Solar is highly variable in how much energy is produced based on time of day, cloud conditions, etc.  What's going to happen to the excess energy when the sun is shining but your server only needs a small amount of what's generated?  What's going to happen to the energy generated when it isn't quite enough to power your server? (your server will need to switch to mains, and the power that is generated is wasted?)

Have you looked at getting a more standard roof-top solar/inverter system?  If you can afford the expense, the cost/benefit ratio would likely be much better (again, both ecologically and economically)

Edited by ConnectivIT
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, UNRA1DUser said:

Hello Everyone,

I want to have a server system that consumes very little in idle (<10W) but still has power. And on top of that powered via solar panels with the automated possibility to switch to mains power (if the solar power is no longer sufficient).

Have any of you run a server via solar panels ? Or at least covered part of the electricity costs with it? Does it make sense ?

How did you set it up and what did you buy? What hardware do you use ?

I am interested in this topic. But before I start to buy something I wanted to exchange with you first.

PS: I hope this topic is right here -> If not please move :)

This seems to be very difficult to achieve, although I can fully understand your "wish". Keep in mind that even an 80 plus titanium psu has 10% loss on 10% load.

ARM sbc's are very low on idle usage, but they're not super powerful.

Edited by giganode
  • Like 1