6.9.x, LSI Controllers & Ironwolf Disks Disabling - Summary & Fix

Cessquill

44 minutes ago, TangoEchoAlpha said:

I was about to buy the Pro drive, not because of the 'Pro' moniker but for the extra 2 years warranty  - the price difference was only £10 GBP.

Out of interest, where are you looking at getting the Pro drive from?  I'm running low on space again, will need to upgrade a drive soon.

1 minute ago, Cessquill said:

Out of interest, where are you looking at getting the Pro drive from?  I'm running low on space again, will need to upgrade a drive soon.

Scan Computers in the UK. The Pro is £10 more than the non-Pro, for the extra warranty etc I'll take that.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8tb-seagate-ironwolf-pro-st8000ne001-nas-hard-drive-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-256mb-cache-oem

I've ordered the drive and downloaded the SeaChest tools. Might be inclined to make the changes from a Live install of Ubuntu elsewhere, or caddy the drive up to my Raspberry Pi. Looks like there's even a Windows version now?

3 minutes ago, TangoEchoAlpha said:

Scan Computers in the UK. The Pro is £10 more than the non-Pro, for the extra warranty etc I'll take that.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/8tb-seagate-ironwolf-pro-st8000ne001-nas-hard-drive-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-256mb-cache-oem

I've ordered the drive and downloaded the SeaChest tools. Might be inclined to make the changes from a Live install of Ubuntu elsewhere, or caddy the drive up to my Raspberry Pi. Looks like there's even a Windows version now?

Cheers.  Some of my Ironwolf's are from there - just depends who's cheaper on the day.  That's a good price for the Pro - could swap my parity with it.

If you've got a spare machine you could use the standalone USB version.  Haven't tried Windows for this.

57 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

Cheers.  Some of my Ironwolf's are from there - just depends who's cheaper on the day.  That's a good price for the Pro - could swap my parity with it.

If you've got a spare machine you could use the standalone USB version.  Haven't tried Windows for this.

Yes, maybe the bootable USB is a way to go :)

I'm having to wap my parity drive for the Ironwolf Pro - the largest drives at the moment are 6TB, so the 8TB will have to go to the parity.

@Cessquill Well I didn't pay the extra for Sunday delivery, just took the 'free' delivery option that came with the drive, standard DPD. I was therefore very surprised to get a message on my phone informing me that my parcel was due to be delivered today!

The drive has since been delivered. At some point today I will connect it up and preclear, but wondered if there were any checks I could do/useful info I could gather before running the SeaChest tools as per your original post?

4 hours ago, TangoEchoAlpha said:

At some point today I will connect it up and preclear, but wondered if there were any checks I could do/useful info I could gather before running the SeaChest tools as per your original post?

Maybe somebody else could help with this part - I just collated other people's findings.  Personally I don't think there's anything else needed.  Whilst the instructions look long, it's actually a quick and simple job.

I didn't find a way to 100% trigger the symptoms, so I don't know whether there's any way of testing the Pro drive prior to adding it to the away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i issued both commands EPC disable and the lowcurrentspinup. on my ST8000VN004 rebooted, but after a spin down event i got errors again a few days later.

If there another setting that needs to be disabled, i have forced the drive to stay spun up for the time being.

But i do operate a system with 3xLSI 9211-8i Controllers. Not had any issues with my other disks.

I do have 2xST8000VN004 additional drives but they are Parity Drives so never spin down.

Any suggestions?

On 7/19/2021 at 4:06 AM, Maticks said:

i issued both commands EPC disable and the lowcurrentspinup. on my ST8000VN004 rebooted, but after a spin down event i got errors again a few days later.

If there another setting that needs to be disabled, i have forced the drive to stay spun up for the time being.

But i do operate a system with 3xLSI 9211-8i Controllers. Not had any issues with my other disks.

I do have 2xST8000VN004 additional drives but they are Parity Drives so never spin down.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue after following the directions in this thread and rebooting my Unraid server. However, I found after a full power down and cold boot of my server, the issue appears to be resolved. I'm thinking my HDDs didn't actually apply the firmware changes until the system was fully powered off & back on. I haven't had an error in 2 months, where previously they'd occur within a couple of days.

5 hours ago, emperortomato said:

I had the same issue after following the directions in this thread and rebooting my Unraid server. However, I found after a full power down and cold boot of my server, the issue appears to be resolved. I'm thinking my HDDs didn't actually apply the firmware changes until the system was fully powered off & back on. I haven't had an error in 2 months, where previously they'd occur within a couple of days.

ok i completely powered my server down and pulled the power from it.

will see if that is good now.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:06 AM, Maticks said:

Any suggestions?

The original issue that this is for was that drives were being disabled by Unraid and had to be rebuilt.  Is one of your drives exhibiting this behavior, or are you getting different errors?  And if so, what?

Also, parity drives can spin down if there is no other activity on the array, no?

2 hours ago, Cessquill said:

The original issue that this is for was that drives were being disabled by Unraid and had to be rebuilt.  Is one of your drives exhibiting this behavior, or are you getting different errors?  And if so, what?

Also, parity drives can spin down if there is no other activity on the array, no?

I was only experiencing read errors, randomly it would go a day or two wihout an issue then read errors. once it completely marked the drive dead. I have RMA'd the disk twice before seeing this post.

My Parity Drives are set to spin down after 2 hours but there is usually some activity on my array from Plex that keeps them spinning. I have never seen my parity drives not spinning.

24 hours and stable so far.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, deltaexray said:

I've got a couple of questions regarding Part 3 of the very first post of this Thread:

Where do you get the number from, to complete the info command? more specific, x86-64-linux-gnu isn't even in the files, let alone they are not ubunut ones, they are centos, at least in the most recent download of SeaChest Utilities.

I feel like that I have either a completely different download of the software or I'm to stupid to work it out, but none of the commands work.

The downloads have changed since I first wrote it - they had numbers in.  At the top of part 3 there is the text...

EDIT: When this guide was written, there was what looked like a version number at the end of each file, represented by XXXX below.  Now each file has "_x86_64-linux-gnu" so where it mentions XXXX you need to replace with that.

1 minute ago, deltaexray said:

Then the cd/tmp/seachest chmod .... to make them executable isn't working, u need to do them in 2 steps, bc if you are not in the directory first, those commands will not find anything to work with. If they even worked, in the first place because I'm not sure if they worked when I did the command.

It may not be clear, but they are intended to be run as two separate commands (hence the line break).  I'll edit the post to clarify that.

I kno that they have changed but after trying like 10 different combinations, I'm quite stuck here. Which isn't your fault to say, I'm just wondering How I can fix it.

And that's a good idea. I usually understand it, which it actually is but sometimes u forget what a line break stands for. But as said, not your fault we all are just trying our best

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to try the fix so that I can upgrade to the latest unraid version.

I followed the instructions exactly and each time I saw a response saying that lowpowerspinup was disabled.  it also says you have to reboot to take effect.  I did this on all 10 of my seagate drives.  I cold booted and went back to confirm and none of them are disabled, all show lowcurrentspinup enabled.  I even turned off my power supply switch.  The only thing I didn't try was unplugging the power cord from the power supply.  The EPC steps worked fine and all 10 show disabled now.

I'm worried about trying the 6.9.2 upgrade while the lowcurrentspinup is still enabled.

I didn't get any errors and the seachest version I used was SeaChest_Configure_1170_11923_64

Drive models are ST12000NE0008 and ST8000NM0055

Any ideas?

17 minutes ago, optiman said:

I was hoping for some advice here.  Anyone running these drives with lowcurrentspinup enabled and have upgraded to 6.9.2 without issues?  I cannot figure out how to disable that one.  EPC is disabled.

I haven't seen any evidence that the drives you're using are affected by the issues this thread addresses - maybe others know better.  I haven't got any in my array, and out of the 17 Ironwolfs, only 4 had issues (the ST8000VN004).

It's also not established (here at least) whether changing the lowCurrentSpinup is required.