HPE Microserver Gen10+

Jorgensen

I'm considering buying a HPE Microserver Gen10+ for Unraid. But before buying, I would like to know if any of you guys have some experience with the HPE MS G10+? Positive and negative? More specific, I would also like to know the power consumption if someone ever measured that. I'm only aware of the measurements from ServeTheHome (https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-review-this-is-super/6/). That's for the Xeon version, I've never found any for the Pentium Gold. 

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, aberg83 said:

I'm using one with Unraid. Working nicely. I wish it had onboard nvme but otherwise it's great.

Good to hear positive feedback! Is it the Xeon or Pentium Gold version that you have? And did you ever measure power consumption? Or is electricity so cheap in Canada (based on your avatar), that it doesn't really matter?

42 minutes ago, Jorgensen said:

Good to hear positive feedback! Is it the Xeon or Pentium Gold version that you have? And did you ever measure power consumption? Or is electricity so cheap in Canada (based on your avatar), that it doesn't really matter?

the link you posted above has some number for the power consumption.

are you getting a super good price for it or are you buying it for the form factor?

because a simple i3 10100 has about 10% more performance while consuming less power and supporting hyper threading. 

This would also give you NVME support if you need that.

37 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

the link you posted above has some number for the power consumption.

are you getting a super good price for it or are you buying it for the form factor?

because a simple i3 10100 has about 10% more performance while consuming less power and supporting hyper threading. 

This would also give you NVME support if you need that.

Yes, I've found the power consumption for the Xeon version only. Just curious about the Pentium version before buying. 

The form factor is the primary reason that I'm buying it. I can't build anything remotely that small that fits 4x 3.5 HDDs. 

I did consider the UNAS 400 case, but that is not available in EU. I also considered the Supermicro NAS cases, but they are approximately twice the size. I do like the Chenbro ES34169, but that is almost 10 years old, and not possible to find anywhere. The closest case I could find is the GD06, but then I prefer the HPE MS. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, aberg83 said:

Power is definitely not cheap in Canada, but the Xeon is still pretty low power compared to the dual Xeon rackmount servers I used to run.

I've now bought the Xeon version and considering a SSD for cache. Do you have any experience with SSDs in the MSG10+? It seems rather picky with disk drives, I've a 8TB HGST HDD which is not recognized... I would like to avoid buying a SSD which won't be recognized. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, I've the Gen8 and it it recognised my SSD for cache no problem. I'm using an older 250GB 850 EVO drive as cache and can say that it works fine.

How's the Gen10+ going? I was considering upgrading my Gen8 to that but I was looking at maybe the AMD Opteron version because the later Xenons don't seem to come with Hyper-threading which is bull***. I bought my Gen8 totally barebones with no CPU or RAM and got it really cheap, unfortunately if I upgraded I'd have to buy RAM all over again and I'm thinking I should maybe just buy 4x 2TB SSDs to make my current system silent. Main thing is that I am suffering with slow read speeds for UHD streaming even using WD Red drives.

Part of me wants to maybe custom build this time and try and save some on the power consumption. The i3-10100 4.3Ghz performance is huge compared to my current Xeon® CPU E31265L @ 2.4GHz, and i3 uses less than 20W more. The Xenons that come with the Gen10+ are pretty old and are rated at 95W which is more than double my current Xenon. I could get the 10100F with no integrated graphics for less heat and cost.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. Must have missed the post.

Generally, I'm very happy with the Gen10+. It is a huge improvement over my old Synology NAS. So far my only issue is that it did not recognize one of my HGST HDD. I've just bought a Samsung Evo 870, hope it will be recognized...