New disk red X error - strange results

Good morning,

I am having a small problem with a brand new disk. Disk3 which was in use for more than 5 years finally failed, so I replaced the disk, ran a full pre-clear with no errors and proceeded to add the disk into the array. All went fine until today (one day later) when it reported 2 medium errors and the system marked it with a red x.

When I looked at the smart test log I saw this, the time difference between #4 and #5 is a few hours at best, it's almost looks like UNRAID has picked up the previous disks details and used that to red x the disk. 

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Self test in progress ...  64     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background long   Aborted (by user command)  64   47991                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background short  Completed                  64   47990                 - [-   -    -]
# 4  Background short  Completed                  64   47983                 - [-   -    -]
# 5  Background short  Completed                  64       7                 - [-   -    -]
# 6  Reserved(7)       Completed                  48       7                 - [-   -    -]
# 7  Background short  Completed                  64       3                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self-test duration: 32700 seconds [545.0 minutes]

and also shows this (excuse the formatting):

Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
                        ECC                        rereads/errors            algorithm            processed        uncorrected
            fast        |        delayed        rewrites    corrected        invocations            [10^9 bytes]        errors
read:        2799108152            34                0            2799108186         34            1273381.666                0
write:        0                    0                0            0                    0            129334.473                0
verify:        21310215            0                0            21310215            0            0.000                    0

Any ideas on what to do to clear this up as I can't believe the disk has gone this bad this quickly. I am running a long smart disk test. FYI the old disk was 3TB SATA and this new one is 4TB SAS, both reiserfs.

Thanks

SAS disks seem to run hot, they are rated for up to 60 allegedly, sadly where I live cooling is a problem one way or another. the disk may have been manufactured a while ago, but I find it unlikely it was running for more than 5 years before I bought it.

Beside the smart tests above reported 3 hours in use on first going into the system and then suddenly added 5 years of usage, seems to me to be a software problem. Those hours look like the old disks hours, not a "new" disk. The SMART testing on SAS disks seems to be weird one way or another as another SAS disk from last year whilst not red x has a single non-medium error and yet is fine.

Anyway thanks for the help, I will post the long test results when they come in.

24 minutes ago, Perdurabo said:

they are rated for up to 60 allegedly

So are most SATA disks, still too hot, you should keep them under 40C, 45C tops.

24 minutes ago, Perdurabo said:

the disk may have been manufactured a while ago, but I find it unlikely it was running for more than 5 years before I bought it.

Power on hours can't be changed, unless there's some firmware issue they are correct.

So that's a?

stop array

take disk out of array

start array

stop array

put disk back into slot

start array - (should start rebuilding automatically)

Thanks

On a side note any ideas on enabling write cache on a SAS disk, sadly "hdparm -W 1 /dev/sdx" did not work. My other SAS disk (identical model just badged differently) has write cache enabled.

20 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

So that's a?

stop array

take disk out of array

start array

stop array

put disk back into slot

start array - (should start rebuilding automatically)

Yes.

20 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

On a side note any ideas on enabling write cache on a SAS disk, sadly "hdparm -W 1 /dev/sdx" did not work. My other SAS disk (identical model just badged differently) has write cache enabled.

Sorry no, never used any SAS disks with Unraid.