My Servers Early Access Plugin

jonp

11 hours ago, comet424 said:

anyone deal with this plugin tonight bricking Unraid?  i rebooted unraid and it no longer came online.. had to plug a video card in and boot up  and it hung 45 min before  i ssh into unraid  and deleted the my servers plugin.  in the plugins folder

and rebooted.. it still part of the plugins and somewhere in unraid its keeping the plugin but i was able to boot back up

so the first image is it hung 45 min.. the 2nd one is after i booted back up are ssh and deleting the plugin  but its still in Plugins

First time we've seen that, thanks for the screenshots showing the error.

Were there any issues with your Internet access at the time you took those screenshots?

Would you please upload your diagnostics (from Tools -> Diagnostics) as well? Even if you have uninstalled the plugin it would help to see what else is on your system.  

Thanks!

@ljm42

ok  i dealing with other issues   i posted about and wish there was a Force Shut Down array instead of you gotta force a reboot to shut down an array..  when its stuck  retrying to unmount array  

as for the internet.. no  internet issues i was using it fine  all i did was Reboot unraid i been having Home Assistant issues i was posting  Vdisk issues in General Forums and VM forums.. no one could help me i guess as no one replied..  but all i did was do a reboot. and im used to slow boot up  mounting the array.. and i used to non correcting parity checks.. its always something to do with the Windows VMS  it seems not wanting to shut down..

also i never got to use that plug in  i did partial setup  from Spaceinvaders video  i installed the Plugin in couple weeks ago..  all i ever done..  sooo  when i rebooted.. after 1700 seconds unraid screen in my browswer.. i was able to ssh into my tower  and i checked my /mnt directory nothing mounted..  it was blank

i tried a couple times  where you do  reboot -n     

nothing   worked  still /mnt nothing

i pulled all the drives out.. hoping to boot up like when the array wont mount..  still wouldnt come up waited 10 -15 min  

so i had to pull a video card out of another computer and shove it in my unraid box..   and then  you seen the first screen shot i let it sit 45 min or so..

so i ssh  in  and looked in the boot and plugins and see that my server.. so i did

rm -r  folder name

i rebooted with the drives still all unpluigged  and  i got the screen shot you see now

but thw Gui finally popped up..  and i shoved the drives back in  and was able to mount.. but i see the plugin is back 

even though i deleted it from the /boot location  it came back after a reboot

i figured there be a timer when i saw that error  so if its trying to connect to the server it only last 1 min say.. i didnt know that the my server plugin booted up.. i was just following space invaders  video for better improvements but i didnt know it happens at bootup.  but it seems it will brick you from the gui when it gets stuck  like i mentioned looks like line 8    

if you need it to come on at  boot up  be nice a timer.. so if whatever your doing takes longer then 1 min  exit out and allow unraid to boot up and retry on its own later   like a delayed timer..  or an option of   my servers plugin  runs after the array is online or on after the gui boots up .. as i dont like it i have to wait for the Array to come online before the Gui is working.. i wish you could get the Gui up and running before the Array is mounted..

but here is diganostic.  hope it helps

tower-diagnostics-20210708-1159.zip

Edited by comet424

@ljm42

so i havent uninstalled the plug in from the gui.. all i did was i noticed it there  and just says sign in.. i have never gone past of installing the plugin in..  i had gotten busy  and never did the website authentication  or anything..  i  only installed it from the App store like 2 weeks maybe 3 weeks ago.. and because i had other things on the go i forgot about this plugin..  when you got too many things to do and when a windows reboots you never get your browser tabs to populate again  normally

so i forgot about the plugin 

so i never even setup a Sign In..  hope that helps too..  so  App Store ===> installed the my server app. and never did anything with it   forgot i even had it lol. and that was like 2 3 weeks ago.. or so whenever Space Invader posted his video  and showed up on unraid page or something..  

so hopefully you can find whatever went wrong.. or add a Timer like i mentioned something that if it times out..  

its like  a Do Loop back when i used to write software and if there is no break  out way it just runs forever

but you guys are smarter at this coding then i was at it VB 6 and prior Programming softwares 🙂

Wow you went through a lot.  Here are a couple of tips:

2 hours ago, comet424 said:

wish there was a Force Shut Down array instead of you gotta force a reboot to shut down an array..  when its stuck  retrying to unmount array  

This is generally caused by having a terminal session open on an array drive. Logging out of all open terminal sessions will allow the array to stop

its always something to do with the Windows VMS  it seems not wanting to shut down..

If you continue getting unclean shutdowns not related to "retrying unmount", see this topic

i pulled all the drives out.. 

i wish you could get the Gui up and running before the Array is mounted..

If you want to prevent the array from starting after a reboot go to Settings -> Disk Settings -> Enable auto start and set that to no. If the webgui isn't available you can edit config/disk.cfg on the flash drive and set the startArray setting to "no" and then reboot (be very careful when editing config files manually). 

I like to do this before doing anything that feels "risky" on the server. That way if it doesn't boot back up properly there is no risk to the array. You really want to avoid unclean shutdowns.

i did

rm -r  folder name

but i see the plugin is back 

even though i deleted it from the /boot location  it came back after a reboot

So close :) To manually uninstall the plugin you would delete config/plugins/dynamix.unraid.net.plg from the flash drive and reboot. The config/plugins/dynamix.unraid.net/ directory contains the files that the plugin downloads plus its settings. Deleting the directory but leaving the plugin would force the files to be downloaded again on reboot.

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

hopefully you can find whatever went wrong

Thank you for the diagnostics and the screenshots, we will look for ways to make the plugin installation routine more bulletproof. In the meantime since you aren't really using the plugin I'd go ahead and uninstall it until you get the server working reliably. TBH you have a lot of plugins installed, I'd recommend uninstalling everything you aren't actively using.

• Like 1

@ljm42

for the force shut down issue i found that Windows 2016 Server will not shut down  and it will cause the parity checking..  i ran that qemu-guest  i guess thats what thats for but that has never really helped..  just doesnt like the server 

but when i was doing the trying to do space invaders  mount a vdisk i ran into lot or issues  and when i had to get some work arounds i had to figure out on my own..  when i did mount it.. you cant copy files to a Vdisk mounted  you had to do the new permissions  for vms directoriy so i could write to the vdisk. to try to repair my home assistant....  so maybe its not unmounting properly.. 

but i mean it be nice when you click  "STOP ARRAY"  if it wont shut down the arrary while you wanna keep Unraid still running..  there should be a button "FORACE ARRAY OFFLINE"  like forcing Unraid to reboot..  but when you do not want unraid to reboot but you want Force it Offline...  is what i mean..

as for the deleting the pluging where i deleted was

/boot/config/plugings/dynamix.my.server     something like that   i rm -r that directory and rebooted it and came back .. i didnt know of the other directory you mentioned..

plus when i looked under apps  to check it as i thought i may have 2 my servers

i deleted  the dynamix    but when you goto apps  its limetech  but its 2 different ppl..  i figured maybe i wrote my question in the wrong forum..  i should have wrote   in the dynamix forum as i know it seems all the apps from dynamix all go into 1 group.. which isnt the greatest.. as i found some issues with like the Fan Speed plugin but it never gets addressed as other ppls issues for the other apps gets addressed..  so i get confused  now if limetech is dynamix  or are they seperated..

but i didnt mind the array coming on as i reboot.

but i remember when i first started with unraid like 2 yrs ago with a few hard drives..   the Gui would populate  before the hard drives were fully mounted.. it would say    mounting array.. but you had the gui to still do stuff while array was mounting... now  in last few updates..  its  the Gui  only is functional  after the array is fully mounted.. but in the past the gui was fully operation  before the array was fully mounted...

as for the plugins..  ya i have alot installed.. i installed  all the dynamix   when i first learned it i stumbled across it  learning pfsense also stumbled on it..  but i found this spaceinvader.. and such and all those pluggins  i installed them all i dunno which are good which are bad  or which  like maybe 1 pluggin  has now 2 of ther others in one..

its great the open community as its alot better from where i was coming from a Windows Home Server 2003 which worked well for me..

but i wouldnt know which pluggins to get rid of.. and do you think any of the plugins clash with your program... to be honest i really dont know what the my server truly does.. i just watched the video and he said its a great plugin  and helps for performance and secureity .. so i installed it...  but then i learned its beta so not fully.. and since this is my main setup i guess i shouldnt run beta.. let others that have a spare unraid test it not on your main setup...

i do like the options of the community apps  better then windows where you gotta google things.. here people written stuff.. 

but i also find  things could be fixed like on the MAIN page in unraid that button that switchs  between writes and megs/s    they have 1 button for each array.. yet that button any of them controls the whole page it should only change that section..  if not why bother having like 4 or more toggle switchs..  and then add a feature  to swich how much it has copied.. so  Drive 4  writed 1.5TB of data instead of just writes  or writes mb/s  

but i nobody  and i mention it but hey  i enjoy the product i just wish i found unraid years ago instead of just a couple years..  i wouldnt struggled with newer windows  server when they stopped supported WHS 2003 and the 1 Folder name spanned acrross multi disks..

and ill check out that link for the unclean shutdowns.. but id still like an option where you do not reboot or shut down unraid but when you hit the STOP array button and it wont shut down the array its stuck in an endless loop of retrying unmount there is no button to FORCE STOP ARRAY..  it just stuck in endless loop.. thats why i mentioned there should be a stop array timer  like in Disk Settings  i see i have it set 420seconds  to force shut down  if graceful didnt work.. there needs to be one for  graceful STOP array button and when it doesnt work..  hit "FORCE ARRAY OFFLINE"

but ya hope my diagnostic help u somewhat...   probably an AMD X570 thing as i finding more issues with amd  then i guess intel lol

Edited by comet424

wish unraid was here 20 yrs ago  ..  i was soo sick of redhat and the loop holes u had to get stuff to work i went the windows route.. if unraid was here back in 99 2000  sure would been great (:.. i also like how unraid is now power hungry like windows memory hog etc

Glad you are enjoying Unraid :) If you would like to request changes to the base OS please start a new thread in the Feature Requests area of the forum:
  https://forums.unraid.net/forum/53-feature-requests/ 

But I will say this... forcing the array to stop is bad. You need to work out why that is happening and get your system to where it will stop cleanly on its own.

19 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i rm -r that directory and rebooted it and came back

Right you deleted the directory where the plugin stores its settings, but did not delete the plugin itself. That is why it reinstalled when you rebooted.

21 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i wouldnt know which pluggins to get rid of.

I'm just saying that in general, the fewer plugins you have installed the better.

@ljm42 ya like in the 80s and then 90s we had our own  Community apps.. but it was on diskette.. and we called it Public Domain. and youd get sets of disks you buy.. so i do like community apps aka public domain as it doesnt break the bank for the home user.. like some apps u need cost you a fortune and ur not a business os you cant just write it off..

ya sometimes  for the array.. i dunno if it can be changed  but you know the system logs  it be nice if the programmers or whoever  could make it easier to understand like i try to trouble shoot my own before bothering you busy guys..  but sometimes things are labled so that i dont even know what the heck is going on  .  like the Warnings and Errors..  be nice if there was a chart that said these warnings dont worry about them  but this warning you should

same with Home Assistant there error  logs tell you nothing and you gotta find it..  like working ona car it throws your an error and you gotta figure what caused it  but doesnt tell you  look in this area lol..

ya   i hear ya you dont want unsafe  shut downs.. i also wish the system logs would show  why  will the array not shut down.. what resources are hogging it  what is saying down shut down there must be something that says  this is holding the shut down  command etc..  now is there plugin for for that?  or would that be a feature request... as sometimes 

no one knows what causes it lol

and thats fine i was figuring maybe you knew which plugins to keep which ones are doubles ..  i try to follow space invaders videos

but following them all  you add alot

i just wish for a video for 2021  what be the best settings, best plugins to run your unraid the fastest you can

as i know it wont run that fast as  its not raid and you run on  only hte speed of the hard drives and thats ok  as i used to that for 30 yrs lol..  hated raid  if that controller card fails  ur screwed  lost lot of data that way..

software raid was better but only worked  kinda on windows server and even then hated it

from the plugins you see i have

are there any you can think of since your more expert then me.. but are there any that have know issues 

any that slow stuff down..  

windows used to use a program Tweak It found things to help speed up your windows etc

but unraid doesnt have that or does it?

On 7/8/2021 at 11:24 AM, 2000gtacoma said:

Thanks I appreciate that. Anything I can check on my end? Also now just randomly saw a an error under my server name in unraid (where is usually says can not connect to mothership) graphql is offline. Did unraid-api restart and that goes back to can't connect.

Fired up a trial of unraid on another desktop I had laying around. Connected perfectly to myservers. Must be something with my server causing issues. Any ideas on what to check? Rebuild flash drive?

Took the trial flash I setup for testing, removed my original drive from my server, plugged in the trial drive and the myservers connected perfectly. Even used the same IP address and ports. So ruled out a router/port forwarding issue at this point. I'm guessing somewhere there is a file not quite right on my flash drive or maybe by chance something on the unraid end with my server? Just asking not bashing at all. I did rename this server at one point. Maybe that fubard something?

Edited by 2000gtacoma

Is there a way to realize remote access for two or more Unraid servers in the same local network?

What I did:

Router (WAN > LAN):

tower port 1441 > 443

tower2 port 1442 > 443

Tower (Management Access):

use SSL/TLS auto

Port 1441

Tower2 (Management Access):

use SSL/TLS auto

Port 1442

Seems that you expect 443 for remote access and 1441/1442 for local access. This would be a no-go for two or more servers in one local network. Is there a different way to get this working.

3 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Is there a way to realize remote access for two or more Unraid servers in the same local network?

Absolutely!

3 hours ago, hawihoney said:

Seems that you expect 443 for remote access and 1441/1442 for local access.

Not quite. The local access ports for each server can be the same. The remote access ports have to be different since each port can only be used once on your router.  Here is an example:

Go to Settings -> Management Access -> HTTPS port

* server 1 - port 443 is the default but you can choose any other port that is unused on this server. If you don't use the default I'd recommend something like 3443, 4443, etc. For this example I will use 3443.

* server 2 - port 443 is the default but you can choose any other port that is unused on this server. It is on a different IP address, so it can be the same port as server 1. For this example I will use 3443 as well.

Then go to Settings -> Management Access -> My Servers -> WAN port

* server 1 - I recommend you choose a high port that someone is unlikely to guess, let's say 35821. It must be a port that is not already port-forwarded through your router.

* server 2 - Choose another high port. It must be different than server 1's WAN port and different from anything else that is already port-forwarded through your router. For this example how about 29703.

Setup your router to port forward:

35821 -> server1ip port 3443

29703 -> server2ip port 3443

2 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Then go to Settings -> Management Access -> My Servers -> WAN port

Hmm, does not work. I used 1443 internal for all servers and WAN ports 31140, 31141, 31142. Everything is setup in the Router. Hitting the Check button shows reachable from the internet.

But My Servers dashboard shows unavailable for all servers. And using the WAN ports with the cryptic unraid.net URLs does not connect to the servers. Only the LAN ports work within my LAN.

Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Hmm, does not work. I used 1443 internal for all servers and WAN ports 31140, 31141, 31142. Everything is setup in the Router. Hitting the Check button shows reachable from the internet.

But My Servers dashboard shows unavailable for all servers. And using the WAN ports with the cryptic unraid.net URLs does not connect to the servers. Only the LAN ports work within my LAN.

Any ideas?

If the "check" button works on all servers then your ports and port forwarding are all good.

Does the My Servers Dashboard say your servers are Online or Offline? If they are Offline then the Remote Access url is going to be "access unavailable".

If they are Offline, you may be able to bring them online by opening a web terminal and typing:

unraid-api restart

27 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

And using the WAN ports with the cryptic unraid.net URLs does not connect to the servers. Only the LAN ports work within my LAN.

https://yourpersonalhash.unraid.net : HTTPS_PORT will work inside your network

https://www.yourpersonalhash.unraid.net : WAN_PORT will work from outside your network (in order to get the external url to work inside your network you need to enable hairpin routing in your router. Many routers do not support this)

Restarting the API did the trick. Thanks.

I do own 4 or 5 Pro licenses. Three are in use currently. But I do have four servers on the dashboard - three online, 1 offline. Seems that you use the key/GUID. How can I hide the offline server until this stick is used again.

Two servers have the same name - I swapped the stick recently. Is there a way to manage that without building a server.

1 minute ago, hawihoney said:

Restarting the API did the trick. Thanks.

I do own 4 or 5 Pro licenses. Three are in use currently. But I do have four servers on the dashboard - three online, 1 offline. Seems that you use the key/GUID. How can I hide the offline server until this stick is used again.

Two servers have the same name - I swapped the stick recently. Is there a way to manage that without building a server.

Nice!  The ability to hide tiles for old servers is coming

6 hours ago, ljm42 said:

The ability to hide tiles for old servers is coming

1.) IMHO, what's missing is a "Sign out" button for servers that show offline/unavailable on the "My Servers Dashboard". This button would work like that same button on the Management Access page under the My Servers section. If you do it like that, the identical button and it's identical result would be a good UI design descision.

2.) I think there's a minor design problem. License is bound to stick, server on dashboard is bound to license/stick. You will see this problem if you own more than one license/stick.

You can transfer a "server" from stick to stick with a simple copy of folders/files. This leads to new servers on the My Servers Dashboard - all having the same name and details.

3.) I'm not quiet sure if you have registered all my licenses under my account already. If not, an upload for key files would be an option for users to put all licenses on the Dashboard - even for not running servers.

If you have registered all my licenses under my account already. Why not show them all and let the user change names for offline servers (Reserved01, ...).

Sign out offline servers and/or managing all licenses on the Dashboard are my two Feature Requests for the My Servers Dashboard. Thanks for listening.

Hello,

I can't activate flash backups. After pressing Activate I see "Activating"  for 10-15 seconds and then nothing happens: flash backup remains not activated and Activate button still there.

How do I figure out what's going on? Any logs I can check?

My Servers is working: I can see server online in dashboard.

10 minutes ago, Astron said:

Hello,

I can't activate flash backups. After pressing Activate I see "Activating"  for 10-15 seconds and then nothing happens: flash backup remains not activated and Activate button still there.

How do I figure out what's going on? Any logs I can check?

My Servers is working: I can see server online in dashboard.

Flash Backup works fine for most, but we do have a couple of people with this issue, we're looking for additional logging to add to help track down the issue.

In the meantime, please PM me your /var/log/gitflash file. The easiest way to get it is to open a web terminal and type:

cp /var/log/gitflash /boot

Then attach the gitflash file from the root of your flash drive.

Please include your diagnostics (from Tools -> Diagnostics) as well. And a screenshot showing what the web page looks like after you press activate and nothing happens.

Thanks!

Interesting feature that I have just setup. Was interested in remote access.

Got it up and running fine.

For kicks, I went to https://<MYDOMAINNAME>:MYSERVERS_WAN_PORT

It brought up the unraid gui. 

Is this expected? Thinking about it, I guess it is, given I've forwarded the random port number I chose to 443 of the unraid box. For some reason I had in my head that a remote connection not coming from the MyServers server would just be dropped. Im not sure how I feel about it though.

Given we bang on (quite rightly) about how unraid isn't hardened for Internet access, isn't this an exploit just waiting to happen? Isn't this ultimately relying on the unraid standard login page being able to withstand an attack?

I mean technically - given everyone knows that the login for unraid is 'root' and the port unraid is serving on via my wan address is just a simple port scan of my wan ip away - that would mean an attacker is a guess of my root password away from full access to my server. Yes, my root password is very very complex - I mean I don't even know it - but its still technically a possibility.

Given the above and if the unraid gui is always exposed anyway -  then why bother with MyServers for remote access at all? Why wouldn't I just access unRAID via that random port and just use my complex root password?

Its feels a bit like creating a fancy way to access my house via next door (which has great security) when I still have a gate to the house hidden behind a bush somewhere (albeit largely non visible and hard to find - but not impossible) on the boundary protected by a complex code that someone can just bang away at for as long as possible until they guess it (or get bored).

Maybe Im thinking about this all wrong and or the gui shouldn't come up when I access the port directly. *Shrug*.

Think Ill turn this off for now and go back to using VPN for remote access.

EDIT: Maybe this could be hardened (if it is expected) with a firewall rule that drops any connection made to that WAN port by anything other than the MyServers server? hmmm.

Edited by danioj
1 hour ago, danioj said:

It brought up the unraid gui.  Is this expected?

Yes, the purpose of the Remote Access feature is to give you remote access to the webgui. Check out the docs for more details:
  https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers

1 hour ago, danioj said:

unraid isn't hardened for Internet access

Do not put Unraid directly on the Internet or in your router's DMZ. But yes you can forward a port to the https webgui now. You should use a high port number (not 443) and you need to have a good rood password. Recent versions of Unraid will lock out intruders after three bad login attempts.

For more security best practices see https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-server-security-best-practices

1 hour ago, danioj said:

Why wouldn't I just access unRAID via that random port and just use my complex root password?

My Servers provides the DDNS and certificate to make secure remote access possible and simple. 

1 hour ago, danioj said:

Think Ill turn this off for now and go back to using VPN for remote access.

This optional feature is for folks who need remote access to their webgui using just a browser. WireGuard VPN is arguably more secure and gives you access to Dockers and other devices on your LAN as well. Use the remote access solution that works best for you.

• Like 1

Interesting reply. I think I will leave it there with remote access using this feature. Given the ease at which an OpenVPN or Wireguard (using either your router or unRAID itself - native or via a Docker) connection can be established I see no reason why I would change that. It was good to experiment though.

Thank you @ljm42 for taking the time to make such a thorough reply, it is appreciated.

Edited by danioj
  • Like 2

Hey everyone, we have just released an updated My Servers plugin, please go to the Plugins tab and check for updates!

This version makes significant improvements connecting to mothership and staying online, so hopefully we'll see a lot less "unraid-api restart" comments here. We've also added more functionality to the My Servers dashboard - you can now track each server's uptime and see the number of VMs that are installed and running. And of course knocked out several bugs.

Unraid 6.10 compatibility is also included, be sure to update your My Servers plugin before installing the upcoming rc. It is coming Soon(TM)!

Here are the full release notes:

### This version resolves:
- Issues connecting to mothership
- Flash backup issues after uninstall
- Docker stats missing in specific conditions
- Unexpected disk spin up

### This version adds:
- Unraid 6.10 compatibility
- Streamlined communication between between unraid-api and mothership
- Ability to track server uptime on dashboard
- Ability to see number of VMs installed and running 
- Origin checks to unraid-api