My Servers Early Access Plugin

jonp

31 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Sorry, we are still working through some issues with this beta. Until we get it resolved you may notice the servers go offline / come online on their own. Once it is stable they will stay online.

Sounds good, keep up the good work! :) 

• Like 1

How do i undo this please??????? (For me the Con's out weigh to Pro's at the moment)

I followed most of the steps from Spaceinvader One's video (i managed to do the provision thingy)

I like the idea but I never leave the house at the moment also i have a few issues with it so I need to undo it.

(My Resilio Sync backup is now stuck at 300kb/s and also I found it useful to have the local IP address in the browser tab)

I've uninstalled it and rebooted the machine and all my network (routers etc) but still my local IP resolvers to unraid.net 

3 hours ago, mdrodge said:

I've uninstalled it and rebooted the machine and all my network (routers etc) but still my local IP resolvers to unraid.net 

Local SSL access is a core feature of Unraid, that is why uninstalling the Unraid.net plugin has no effect on it. If you want to disable local SSL there is no need to uninstall the plugin., just go to Settings -> Management Access and set "Use SSL/TLS" to "no".  (thanks @SimonF for mentioning that already, just including that detail again in case someone else is reading this in the future)

Local SSL access is only a requirement for the Remote Access feature of Unraid.net My Servers. You can use the other features of My Servers without enabling local SSL or Remote Access.

7 hours ago, mdrodge said:

How do i undo this please??????? (For me the Con's out weigh to Pro's at the moment)

I followed most of the steps from Spaceinvader One's video (i managed to do the provision thingy)

I like the idea but I never leave the house at the moment also i have a few issues with it so I need to undo it.

(My Resilio Sync backup is now stuck at 300kb/s and also I found it useful to have the local IP address in the browser tab)

I got it all working, had a play, then just removed the port forward so the remote stuff 'con's' are not there.  More stuff may be added over time so I am happy to leave it as a glorified USB saving device until then.

My remote access requirements are covered by tailscale to all my devices securely using wireguard (2FA linked to gmail) with no need of opening ports, firewall mods, ssl certs etc etc.

19 hours ago, vw-kombi said:

I got it all working, had a play, then just removed the port forward so the remote stuff 'con's' are not there.  More stuff may be added over time so I am happy to leave it as a glorified USB saving device until then.

My remote access requirements are covered by tailscale to all my devices securely using wireguard (2FA linked to gmail) with no need of opening ports, firewall mods, ssl certs etc etc.

Remote Access is an optional feature, no worries if you'd prefer to use VPN. But please do go to Settings -> Management Access -> Unraid.net and set Allow Remote Access to No. Closing the port like you did will prevent you from using it, but if the setting is Yes then the dashboard will still offer the link to you. Better to change the setting to No so the dashboard will know not to offer you the link.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, ljm42 said:

FYI the Unraid.net Flash Backup will not restore custom bz* files, if you do a restore it will give you the latest stable bz* files.

Ouch, thanks for telling me as that is a nogo for me then (would break my ZFS stuff during a restore, which includes all my docker image + data and VM's , where a restore should be designed to be as uneventfull as possible and having to remember that its only a partial backup is not good). Will stick with my own backups for now. Pitty. Was the only reason i wanted to use this plugin for.

Could you make it an extra user option to include the bz* files in the backups ?

1 minute ago, glennv said:

Could you make it an extra user option to include the bz* files in the backups ?

I think that the idea is not to transfer then store the big files for all user. This would be a lot of bandwidth and storage and for 99% of people it would be the same files that LimeTech already has.

The plugin would just transfer small files (config, etc), store that with the information of what bzfiles where associated.

Upon request, the server associate the files from backup (your files + the LimeTech bzfiles) and make a zip you can download.

What you ask is quite different and I do not know if this is part of LT's plans.

53 minutes ago, glennv said:

Ouch, thanks for telling me as that is a nogo for me then (would break my ZFS stuff during a restore, which includes all my docker image + data and VM's , where a restore should be designed to be as uneventfull as possible and having to remember that its only a partial backup is not good). Will stick with my own backups for now. Pitty. Was the only reason i wanted to use this plugin for.

With 6.9 it is possible to have plugins install modules, no need to recompile the kernel or the root file system.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:38 AM, ljm42 said:

aha! thanks for checking that.

FYI the Unraid.net Flash Backup will not restore custom bz* files, if you do a restore it will give you the latest stable bz* files.

@ich777 can you please change the format of the bz*.sha256 files created by the kernel builder docker so that they just contain the hash and not hash+filename? This will match the format of the files distributed with the OS.

I noticed the backups are smaller than my orginals.  I have no idea why mine gained the extra files over time, likely not needed now.  some are file system check files I believe.  I may do the restore procedure and format of the USB to 'freshen it all up'

29 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

I noticed the backups are smaller than my orginals.  I have no idea why mine gained the extra files over time, likely not needed now.  some are file system check files I believe.  I may do the restore procedure and format of the USB to 'freshen it all up'

Not all files are backed up though.

Quote from the wiki-

Important: Backups from the flash device do not include the config/shadow or config/smbpasswd files. User accounts are preserved, but their passwords are not. This means that when you restore from backup, you will need to set passwords for your users including root. We also don't store any of your WireGuard keys. In addition, we do not backup your entire flash drive. If you have custom scripts that you want to include in the backup, please put them in /boot/config/custom/.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:02 AM, limetech said:

With 6.9 it is possible to have plugins install modules, no need to recompile the kernel or the root file system.

Ok then let me know then how to get a system with the AMD GPU vendor reset bug from gniff implemented without compiling and i am your man. Until then  i guess i have to keep building the kernel with ich777's docker 

And for same reason i have to keep doing my own flash backups then, as the dedicated builds are required in case of a restore. Will script it myself and upload to my own B2 cloud account instead then.

Edited by glennv

p.s. I dont believe in backups that only backup certain parts or exclude certain areas in certain situation but then again something else in other situations and depending on the moon phases etc however well intended. That can create a nightmare of a mess during restores. And if it has to be then please put it in bold large flashing letters on the screen where users set up the actual backup, impossible to miss. False sense of security is way worse than no security.

So not like this screen , which suggest all is good and shiny...

image.thumb.png.5a94844f28cafa8b342c694b6897ca15.png

and p.s. the appdata backup plugin properly backs up all bz* files but now advices in large letters to move to unraid.net plugin , which does not backup bz* files. 

So another possible trap to fall in without a proper warning but even a worse warning (although surely also well intended).

image.png.183ef4b85076724213d54d21d0f0a817.png

Edited by glennv
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, glennv said:

p.s. I dont believe in backups that only backup certain parts or exclude certain areas in certain situation but then again something else in other situations and depending on the moon phases etc however well intended. That can create a nightmare of a mess during restores. And if it has to be then please put it in bold large flashing letters on the screen where users set up the actual backup, impossible to miss. False sense of security is way worse than no security.

So not like this screen , which suggest all is good and shiny...

image.thumb.png.5a94844f28cafa8b342c694b6897ca15.png

and p.s. the appdata backup plugin properly backs up all bz* files but now advices in large letters to move to unraid.net plugin , which does not backup bz* files. 

So another possible trap to fall in without a proper warning but even a worse warning (although surely also well intended).

image.png.183ef4b85076724213d54d21d0f0a817.png

Yep: similarly, I moved over to the new plugin upon the advice given by CA Backup, but have no interest in the remote access feature (I have a VPN already configured). As the "restore" feature isn't currently a full restore, I don't think it's the best advice for CA Backup to say that this method is deprecated, when it's actually superior.

Plus with the change in the top banner, I'm uninstalling and moving back to CA Backup for flash backups (recognising that I need to keep a copy off-array, too).

Will come back and check on the progress later (probably once encrypted, full backups exist in the cloud).

Yeah same here. Uninstalled for now. I am sure it will eventualy improve but for now at least for me it is not doing what i need it to do.
I now backup to a local temp dir and then daily sync it the with my B2 cloud account using Syncovery.
Fully encrypted full backup in the cloud.

p.s. I found another attention point, not a big one , but if you are using git yourself in any subdir of the flash (eg to manage your scripts or other config/dev) this unraid.net backup also exludes it as uses git as well itself as backup method but on highest /boot level this will conflict with a lower level separate git tree . Saw the messages in the logs before i uninstalled it.
So depending on your restore strategy and location of the git server (eg on a gitlab docker on same unraid server) it may compromise your restore.
Warrants yet another warning as i was not aware it was using git as backup method.

45 minutes ago, DevXen said:

the my servers pulldown menu says:

request to https://mothership.unraid.ney/graphql failed, reason: certificate has expired.

when i go to settings the it says the certificate expires on june 11th, and won't let me renew it. (its grayed out.).

any ideas of what to do?

Just pinged a team member about this. Don’t have an ETA yet but hoping to have it fixed ASAP. 

This is an issue on our end.