My Servers Early Access Plugin

jonp

58 minutes ago, RichardU said:

App store has a link to the Support thread which goes to a general category.

Fixed.  Also, the next time you install another plugin via Apps, the support link that's also listed on the Plugins Tab will get automatically updated.

• Like 1

I have a feature suggestion which may (for valid reasons I'm not able to think of) get shot down. Right now everyone has their own https://hash.unraid.net address with this plugin. It would be fantastic if you could implement a setting to change the hash to a custom value. The plugin could then check to see if that custom value is already in use, but if not then it would assign that as the new subdomain prefix. It would look like this:

Default URL: https://hash.unraid.net

Change custom URL field in Unraid plugin settings to (for example) metallica.

Plugin checks to see if https://metallica.unraid.net is already assigned. If it is, it rejects the change with an error that the requested value is unavailable. If it is not, the change is made.

Right now we have to go to the Unraid forum first, and then get redirected to the URL, and then bookmark that page for easier access. Implementing this change would make it easier to be able to access your server because you would (hopefully) always know what the URL is.

There might be a completely valid reason that this cannot be done (or even that it can be done but won't be implemented), but in case this is possible and just wasn't something anyone thought of I figured I would mention it.

Thanks for this plugin! I love it. :)

Edited by IFireflyl
  • Like 3
On 5/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, IFireflyl said:

I have a feature suggestion which may (for valid reasons I'm not able to think of) get shot down. Right now everyone has their own https://hash.unraid.net address with this plugin. It would be fantastic if you could implement a setting to change the hash to a custom value. The plugin could then check to see if that custom value is already in use, but if not then it would assign that as the new subdomain prefix. It would look like this:

Default URL: https://hash.unraid.net

Change custom URL field in Unraid plugin settings to (for example) metallica.

Plugin checks to see if https://metallica.unraid.net is already assigned. If it is, it rejects the change with an error that the requested value is unavailable. If it is not, the change is made.

Right now we have to go to the Unraid forum first, and then get redirected to the URL, and then bookmark that page for easier access. Implementing this change would make it easier to be able to access your server because you would (hopefully) always know what the URL is.

There might be a completely valid reason that this cannot be done (or even that it can be done but won't be implemented), but in case this is possible and just wasn't something anyone thought of I figured I would mention it.

Thanks for this plugin! I love it. :)

You could get your own domain name and redirect from there... even cooler..

On 5/8/2021 at 11:45 AM, Helmonder said:

You could get your own domain name and redirect from there... even cooler..

Not really. Your suggestion involves forking over more money to purchase (lease) your own domain. Unraid already has a purchased domain, and they already have support for subdomains which they are already offering. The subdomain they setup is a hash that people have almost no chance of remembering. My suggestion is to let people change this to a subdomain they can remember without having to go the more expensive route of utilizing your suggestion.

Not really. Your suggestion involves forking over more money to purchase (lease) your own domain. Unraid already has a purchased domain, and they already have support for subdomains which they are already offering. The subdomain they setup is a hash that people have almost no chance of remembering. My suggestion is to let people change this to a subdomain they can remember without having to go the more expensive route of utilizing your suggestion.

Know what you mean…

I was saying that if you purchase your own domain you can forward to that hash… that would solve the “remembering issue” (bookmark works also, and ofcourse internally in your network you do not need it)..

Just giving options.. your own domain solves a lof of other issues also; your own email address and such..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions!

TBH custom domain names are unlikely to be supported by our automated systems given the technical requirements around creating SSL certs and managing DDNS. 

I have nothing to announce for or against vanity hostnames on unraid.net, although the My Servers Dashboard is meant to work around the fact that you can't memorize the server url. A normal browser bookmark works too. Also if you are on the same network you can type http://servername or http://ipaddress and get redirected to the full SSL url.

9 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Thanks for the suggestions!

TBH custom domain names are unlikely to be supported by our automated systems given the technical requirements around creating SSL certs and managing DDNS. 

I have nothing to announce for or against vanity hostnames on unraid.net, although the My Servers Dashboard is meant to work around the fact that you can't memorize the server url. A normal browser bookmark works too. Also if you are on the same network you can type http://servername or http://ipaddress and get redirected to the full SSL url.

It was more the out-of-network aspect that I suggested this for as in-network is super easy with the suggestion you made. I figured this could very well be a no, but it doesn't hurt to say something.

There is something else I am curious about, though. In regards to the flash backup settings, it states this message:

Please note that the flash backup is not encrypted at this time.

Is flash backup encryption something that is being worked on, or is this a permanent warning?

So I read the OP and several pages of this thread, including the latest posts but I don't see any posts speaking to an issue of concern for me.  I don't have my server accessible except via VPN tunnel and that's how I like it.   As with my Unifi gear, I don't want to enable remote access because I don't trust that a compromise on the vendor side won't facilitate access to my equipment.  Am I correct in understanding that you don't have to enable remote access mode?  If so, and if online flash backup is stil supported in that scenario, I take it there isn't any major security risk in what's on the flash drive (IIRC it's primarily boot and array config info).  Thanks for any insights here.  I was using the Appdata backup plugin to handle my flash drive as well, but it looks like that's no longer supported so it's forcing me to look at other options, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, BurntOC said:

Am I correct in understanding that you don't have to enable remote access mode?  If so, and if online flash backup is stil supported in that scenario, I take it there isn't any major security risk in what's on the flash drive (IIRC it's primarily boot and array config info).

You do not have to enable remote mode. This is what the My Servers settings page looks like:

image.thumb.png.4f3323f8413fe0cb329de84d5c2c02ad.png

The link to the flash backup information is here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#Flash_Backups_are_Not_Encrypted

Flash Backups are Not Encrypted

It is important to note that at this time, all backups of your flash device are stored in our cloud in a non-encrypted format. This is why we do not store the sensitive data mentioned below.

Sensitive Data

Until we are able to fully encrypt the flash backups on our servers, to ensure absolute privacy and integrity we have a few hard and strict policies regarding the storing of sensitive data. We do not store:

Unraid root or user account passwords

Public, private, or shared WireGuard keys

That Wiki page will probably answer any other questions you might have.

Edited by IFireflyl
typo
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, IFireflyl said:

You do not have to enable remote mode. This is what the My Servers settings page looks like:

That Wiki page will probably answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you very much, @IFireflyl.  This is exactly what I needed to know.

6 hours ago, IFireflyl said:

Is flash backup encryption something that is being worked on, or is this a permanent warning?

We have to be careful about making promises, but I do not want this to be a permanent warning :) 

• Thanks 1

I had a problem over the weekend, and I'm not sure what the solution is. I've been using "My Servers" since I upgraded to 6.9.X and it's a nice feature. This weekend, however, I shut my server down to swap some lower capacity drives for larger capacity ones. I rebooted, and couldn't access my server on my local network. I utilize PiHole as my DNS server in a VM.....and without my array running I could not access the internet, and my browser wouldn't let me access me server via the local IP address. It kept trying to point me to the Unraid.net address.

I ended up having to use my cell phone as a hot-spot, and then I could access my server that way and restart my array. Could there be a easier way to access the server locally?

Just updated to the new update of My Servers and now my page is refreshing like a madman. So much so that I cannot click anything before it spins through another refresh.  Attached the only thing I was able to grab as it flew by in the browser console.  Now have to wait for a huge file to finish transferring so I can attempt to stop the madness.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Phuriousgeorge
1 hour ago, Phuriousgeorge said:

Just updated to the new update of My Servers and now my page is refreshing like a madman. So much so that I cannot click anything before it spins through another refresh.  Attached the only thing I was able to grab as it flew by in the browser console.  Now have to wait for a huge file to finish transferring so I can attempt to stop the madness.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Just to confirm, are you seeing this issue on every page of the WebUI or just the my servers settings page?

Can you also check to see if your /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.my.servers/myservers.cfg looks similar to this?

[remote]
apikey="___REDACTED___"
regWizTime="___REDACTED___"
email="___REDACTED___"
username="OmgImAlexis"
avatar="https://ipsassets.unraid.net/uploads/___REDACTED___"
[upc]
apikey="___REDACTED___"

14 minutes ago, OmgImAlexis said:

Just to confirm, are you seeing this issue on every page of the WebUI or just the my servers settings page?

Can you also check to see if your /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.my.servers/myservers.cfg looks similar to this?

[remote]
apikey="___REDACTED___"
regWizTime="___REDACTED___"
email="___REDACTED___"
username="OmgImAlexis"
avatar="https://ipsassets.unraid.net/uploads/___REDACTED___"
[upc]
apikey="___REDACTED___"

The config file looks exactly the same except an extra return between avatar and [upc]

Regarding pages, I was unable to navigate to any other pages as the page was refreshing constantly and tossing me back to the "Main" tab any time I attempted navigation.  Had to delete the .plg file to recover UI accessibility.  Everything's back to normal without the plugin running.

53 minutes ago, InVisibleGoD said:

Same issue here after updating "My Servers" plugin...

Please let me know if you need more info!

Would you please DM me this file from your flash drive?

/boot/config/plugins/dynamix.my.servers/myservers.cfg

If we can reproduce the problem we should be able to prevent it.

28 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Would you please DM me this file from your flash drive?

If we can reproduce the problem we should be able to prevent it.

I can reproduce this if I purposefully corrupt the config file, so we've got a fix on the way.

In the meantime if anyone else runs into this you can get past it by deleting this file from your flash drive:

If someone with the problem wouldn't mind PMing me a copy of the file before you delete it, it might give us an idea of how the file is being corrupted. Don't post it here though, it has sensitive info.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ljm42 said:

I can reproduce this if I purposefully corrupt the config file, so we've got a fix on the way.

In the meantime if anyone else runs into this you can get past it by deleting this file from your flash drive:

If someone with the problem wouldn't mind PMing me a copy of the file before you delete it, it might give us an idea of how the file is being corrupted. Don't post it here though, it has sensitive info.

I was having this same issue. I deleted the myservers.cfg and now I'm back in business. Thanks! If you need a copy of myservers.cfg pre deletion I can send it to you. 

46 minutes ago, moosedookie said:

I was having this same issue. I deleted the myservers.cfg and now I'm back in business. Thanks! If you need a copy of myservers.cfg pre deletion I can send it to you. 

Thanks for the offer! I'm 98% sure I know what is going on here so it shouldn't be needed. It should be fairly tough to trigger this bug so hopefully not a lot of people hit it.

We just released an updated plugin that masks the underlying problem so nobody else will get to see the webgui completely breaking like that. Apologies to the people who did "get" to see it. 

I expect we'll have another plugin update later today that fully fixes the underlying problem. In the meantime a small number of (un)lucky folks might get signed out of Unraid.net after upgrading, and possibly have trouble signing back in. The next fix will resolve that.

5 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Thanks for the offer! I'm 98% sure I know what is going on here so it shouldn't be needed. It should be fairly tough to trigger this bug so hopefully not a lot of people hit it.

We just released an updated plugin that masks the underlying problem so nobody else will get to see the webgui completely breaking like that. Apologies to the people who did "get" to see it. 

I expect we'll have another plugin update later today that fully fixes the underlying problem. In the meantime a small number of (un)lucky folks might get signed out of Unraid.net after upgrading, and possibly have trouble signing back in. The next fix will resolve that.

Awesome, thanks for the quick fix. I figured you wouldn't need it but offered just in case.

Thanks again, I appreciate your hard work!

• Like 1