My Servers Early Access Plugin


579 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, twisteddemon said:

2021.03.22.1700 correct and that command works for 2mins then the connection dies again (just tried the command again and now it does nothing to fix the connection)

 

Ah. Thanks for the report

Link to post
  • Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Unraid Community!   Today we're excited to give you a sneak peak at something we've been working on for quite some time.  A new feature we like to call My Servers.   "My Serv

Would you mind running `unraid-api restart` in a terminal and let me know if that sorts it. I’ve added this to our bug tracker. 

Now available in CA  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Are you using a VPN or something? Or do you mean anybody anywhere can access your server on a public IP?

Nope, no VPN. However, I have obviously put as password in place, plus its a lab with no important data whatsoever, if thats your concern. None the less, I thought this was basically the idea behind this feature, access to my entire server from anywhere, was it not?

Link to post
18 minutes ago, RT87 said:

Nope, no VPN. However, I have obviously put as password in place, plus its a lab with no important data whatsoever, if thats your concern. None the less, I thought this was basically the idea behind this feature, access to my entire server from anywhere, was it not?

The idea is secure remote access. No doubt bots are trying to login now. 

Link to post
37 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

 

Ah. Thanks for the report

so ive managed to find the issue, no idea how to fix it though. the command works now for 10mins. then the connection drops. 10mins on the dot everytime. its like the unraid-api cant run for longer than that and just gives up

Link to post

 

3 hours ago, trurl said:

The idea is secure remote access. No doubt bots are trying to login now. 

Well, given the obstacles, they should have a hard enough time. Besides, they would need to figure out my IP first. Given that the IPv6  pool is "reasonably hard to scan", I wish them good fortune ;). After all, we're not talking about the IPv4 pool of AWS, where bots hacking sandbox systems in that IP range has been common for years and years.

 

But still, how exactly is this setup different from what myservers is trying to do? What precisely makes the myservers approach "secure"? Or am I completely mistaken?

Edited by RT87
Link to post
4 hours ago, ljm42 said:

And My Servers is back! Huge thanks to @OmgImAlexis and @eschultz for working tirelessly to track down and resolve the problem.

 

Your systems should already have reconnected, no intervention needed.

I can confirm that today everything is connected and working correctly. Thanks Unraid Team for your hard work. :)

Link to post
26 minutes ago, RT87 said:

Well, given the obstacles, they should have a hard enough time. Besides, they would need to figure out my IP first. Given that the IPv6  pool is "reasonably hard to scan", I wish them good fortune ;). After all, we're not talking about the IPv4 pool of AWS, where bots hacking sandbox systems in that IP range has been common for years and years.

 

But still, how exactly is this setup different from what myservers is trying to do? What precisely makes the myservers approach "secure"? Or am I completely mistaken?

 

This is the worrisome line from your original post:

Quote

To combat this, I use a public IPv6 for my unraid server, for which portforwarding is indeed configured  (server can be pinged and ui can be accessed from the internet via this IPv6). 


If you are only port forwarding the one port for the webgui then you are fine. But if the entire server is open to the Internet via that public IP you need to disable that right away (That fact that you can ping it implies more than one port is open)

Link to post
6 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

 

This is the worrisome line from your original post:


If you are only port forwarding the one port for the webgui then you are fine. But if the entire server is open to the Internet via that public IP you need to disable that right away (That fact that you can ping it implies more than one port is open)

Oh, I see... and I agree, handling the entire unraid server as "exposed host" would be most unwise, especially if you are running privileged containers and such (which I am). But no, I have only opened port 443, nothing else. My router has a separate checkbox for allowing pings to a specific machine, which (to my knowledge) doesn't even know ports. So thanks for clearing that up!

 

Back to my original question: Does myservers support the IPv6 protocol (or is planned to)?

 

 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, RT87 said:

Oh, I see... and I agree, handling the entire unraid server as "exposed host" would be most unwise, especially if you are running privileged containers and such (which I am). But no, I have only opened port 443, nothing else. My router has a separate checkbox for allowing pings to a specific machine, which (to my knowledge) doesn't even know ports. So thanks for clearing that up!

 

Back to my original question: Does myservers support the IPv6 protocol (or is planned to)?

 

 

 

 

Currently it does not support IPv6

Link to post
1 minute ago, kizer said:

Currently it does not support IPv6

 

Ah, too bad... hopefully it will soon! Since I am "forced" to use IPv6 for such matters (I despise paying my ISP a premium for an IPv4 ^^), I feel a bit discriminated against ;).

Link to post
3 hours ago, twisteddemon said:

so ive managed to find the issue, no idea how to fix it though. the command works now for 10mins. then the connection drops. 10mins on the dot everytime. its like the unraid-api cant run for longer than that and just gives up

That sounds like it's having trouble connecting in the first place. 10 minutes is our timeout before we drop the connection if it's unsuccessful in validation it's API key. Can you confirm that /boot/config/plugins/Unraid.net/myservers.cfg exists and has a "apikey" line? Please don't paste it here I just need to know if it's missing or not. :)

Link to post
42 minutes ago, OmgImAlexis said:

That sounds like it's having trouble connecting in the first place. 10 minutes is our timeout before we drop the connection if it's unsuccessful in validation it's API key. Can you confirm that /boot/config/plugins/Unraid.net/myservers.cfg exists and has a "apikey" line? Please don't paste it here I just need to know if it's missing or not. :)

yes and has the api key also

Link to post
1 hour ago, twisteddemon said:

yes and has the api key also

Looking on our end it seems your client is reconnecting quite often. Would you mind running `unraid-api stop` then waiting 60s and running `unraid-api start`.

This should help narrow down where in our stack the connection is failing. :)

Link to post
1 minute ago, OmgImAlexis said:

Looking on our end it seems your client is reconnecting quite often. Would you mind running `unraid-api stop` then waiting 60s and running `unraid-api start`.

This should help narrow down where in our stack the connection is failing. :)

done

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

 

Good question... i reinstalled it and now, working again (???) 😉

Okay but what do you mean by "working again"?

If I knew what the issue was that you were having I could say if it was a bug, etc. don't really have much to go on at the moment.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, OmgImAlexis said:

Okay but what do you mean by "working again"?

If I knew what the issue was that you were having I could say if it was a bug, etc. don't really have much to go on at the moment.

See my screenshot... Access unavailable?

And again, not working... whats going on? 🤣

Never mind - i dont need this function because its just an Info-tool...

Edited by Zonediver
Link to post
Just now, Zonediver said:

See my screenshot... Access unavailable?

And again, not working... whats going on? 🤣

Looking at the edit to your original post it looks like your unraid-api instance stopped communicating with mothership. I'd suggest next time trying `unraid-api stop` waiting 2 minutes and then `unraid-api start` in your terminal on your unraid machine and see if that resolves it. 

From what I can tell in the logs it looks like your unraid-api is reconnecting quite often. I'll add some more logging and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

Link to post

i'm having issue with remote access. if i press the check button under unraid.net settigns, it says your server is now reachable from the internet, however i'm still getting the triangle error your server is not connected to the mothership.

 

the first time i installed it was working fine. i just notice this happen today.

 

edit:

it seems remote access is working at the moment. forum the unraid website it says online but i'm still getting the error your server is not connected to the mothership

 

Edit edit:

Ok nevermind. It went offline again. 

 

What I've tried:

Changing the port

Restart the api

Stop api, wait 10mins, start api

Delete and re-install the plugin

Sign out and sign in

 

Everytime I try something it seems it works for few mins then back offline. 

 

It is pretty new and I know it will improve more as time goes on. I'll just wait for now. 

 

Also thanks for the plug in! Having the flash backup online was something I was hoping. 

Edited by i1mran92
Link to post
4 hours ago, i1mran92 said:

i'm having issue with remote access. if i press the check button under unraid.net settigns, it says your server is now reachable from the internet, however i'm still getting the triangle error your server is not connected to the mothership.

 

the first time i installed it was working fine. i just notice this happen today.

 

edit:

it seems remote access is working at the moment. forum the unraid website it says online but i'm still getting the error your server is not connected to the mothership

 

Edit edit:

Ok nevermind. It went offline again. 

 

What I've tried:

Changing the port

Restart the api

Stop api, wait 10mins, start api

Delete and re-install the plugin

Sign out and sign in

 

Everytime I try something it seems it works for few mins then back offline. 

 

It is pretty new and I know it will improve more as time goes on. I'll just wait for now. 

 

Also thanks for the plug in! Having the flash backup online was something I was hoping. 

 

It's known and they're working on it. I looked into the same thing earlier. 

Link to post

[Resolved] I'm having an issue with this plugin; local access works but I am unable to get remote access working and when I set to remote access (having checked the port forwarding is working correctly), I get access unavailable and I lose connection to the mothership.

After I have lost connection to the mothership, running unraid.net-api restart does not bring it back, but it does bring back local connection, after a few minutes usually. The only way to get connection back to the mothership is to reinstall the plugin.

I'm using a pfSense box and have the DNS resolver set to

server:
private-domain: "unraid.net"
server:
private-domain: local.ip.address

Pinging myhashnumber.unraid.net resolves to local.ip.address listed above, but pinging www.myhashnumber.unraid.net returns Name or service not known.

Skimming through this thread, I see that this is likely to be a DNS issue, but I couldn't find any further info at getting this resolved; any pointers would be much appreciated.

Edited by Boyturtle
Resolved
Link to post

I’ve been wondering if this is really necessary for me?
 

I have a Netgate pfsense router running an OpenVPN server so I’m always connected to my local network. 

 

Real-time info sounds great but I’m guessing I can log in to my UnRAID webUI just as easily as logging in to the clod service so with only a single UnRAID server that’s not really needed. I can see where it would be nice for someone with multiple machines though.

 

Similarly with license management, LT already makes it very easy to download a copy of my license for my server if I need to replace the flash drive. I do have a 2nd license that I’ve never used though (and can’t find 😁) so maybe that would be useful???

 

Probably the only feature currently announced that I would use regularly would be the flash backup and I already have a backup process in place. If this backup process allows for recovery of individual items on the flash it might be worth changing things though?

 

Is it possible to only activate certain features? I really don’t want LT (or anyone else) monitoring my server but one or two of the other features might be useful for my particular use case.

 

Edit: I see that remote access is optional.

Edited by wgstarks
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.