Is there an SOP for upgrading?

Make a backup and then press update.

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-os-6-9-1

To Upgrade to Unraid 6.9.1:

First create a backup of your USB flash boot device: Main/Flash/Flash Backup

If you are running any 6.4 or later release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Tools/Update OS page.

If you are running a pre-6.4 release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page.

If the above doesn't work, navigate to Plugins/Install Plugin, select/copy/paste this plugin URL and click Install:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAID

Not SOP, but probably should be considered added as a BKM to the above:

Set any VMs and Dockers not to auto-start on boot

Set array not to auto-start on boot

After update, see how things look (check syslog, etc)

All good?  Start array.  See how things look (User shares, check syslog, etc)

Still all good?  Start up VMs and Dockers as needed.  See how things look (check logs, syslog, etc)

Baby steps.

4 hours ago, Hydranmenace said:

Hi. I have been using unraid for about 2 months now and today saw a banner to upgrade to a new version. This will be the first time I have done an OS update. Are there any recommended steps I should take before I click the button, or is the process fairly easy and clean?

Step 1) Read the forum announcement thread to be aware of any special steps needed.

From initial install of 6.9.0-rc2 to 6.9.0, then a week later to 6.9.1, everything has worked flawlessly for me.  I believe many of the issues folks have are somewhat self inflicted.  That's why I, and the posts from others above, have suggested what we did.

No matter what system you are updating, these suggestions make sense.  Make sure that the system is healthy before updating.  Clean up what is old and no longer used/needed.  Make sure all of your other apps/plugins/etc are up to date.  Bring the system to base operating condition (turn off VMs/Dockers/etc) and set the system to boot back up into that base condition.  Update, then start turning things back on, checking as you go along.

Baby steps.  Updating a complex machine while running all add-ons full speed is just asking for something to break.  Then trying to figure out the cause becomes just that more difficult.

What you could do is simply update

On 3/13/2021 at 11:04 AM, Hydranmenace said:

Hi. I have been using unraid for about 2 months now and today saw a banner to upgrade to a new version. This will be the first time I have done an OS update. Are there any recommended steps I should take before I click the button, or is the process fairly easy and clean?

What version are you currently running? If your running 6.8.3 you can't go back once you goto 6.9 because its recommended that you format your SSD a specific way, but if your not running an SSD as a Cache drive you can easily go back to 6.8.3 using the update tool.  < ----- This is my understanding of the formatting of the SSD to 1M, but I could be wrong. 

The reason I mention that is you can upgrade to 6.9.1 and see if its trouble free for you. I haven't had any issues and I've been updating since 4.7. ;)

7 hours ago, kizer said:

What you could do is simply update

What version are you currently running? If your running 6.8.3 you can't go back once you goto 6.9 because its recommended that you format your SSD a specific way, but if your not running an SSD as a Cache drive you can easily go back to 6.8.3 using the update tool.  < ----- This is my understanding of the formatting of the SSD to 1M, but I could be wrong. 

The reason I mention that is you can upgrade to 6.9.1 and see if its trouble free for you. I haven't had any issues and I've been updating since 4.7. ;)

I am currently on 6.8.3. I have an SSD cache drive and that is where appdata lives right now. So it sounds like I wouldn't be able to go back. I'm working on figuring out how to correctly use the appdata backup tool right now. If I manage that I might click the button. It's just something tells me not to push the button. I have too much other stuff going on right now to deal with trying to fix things if they go sideways on me.

You could easily copy all of your appdata to your array using the Backup/Restore plugin then proceed to using the upgrade tool and goto 6.9.1. 

If things don't work out, take out your SSD restore your OS to 6.8.3 and then rebuild your SSD and restore your appdata. 

For the tool to backup. I'd create a share somewhere on your array. Call it CacheBackup or whatever you like. I personally have mine setup like this. 

Cachebackup

...Appdata

...Misc

Appdata = All my AppData obviously

Misc = Everything else

The reason I create a folder like that for Appdata is the plugin/tool warns that any other data in that folder could be erased so I just took a chance and made a separate folder for it. Even if you don't upgrade I'd personally recommend learing how to use that tool. Its saved me countless times when I have messed up my SSD or upgraded. 

Keep in mind you'll have to reinstall all your dockers which is pretty easily when your on your docker page you click the install docker > From Template and it will have all your previously installed dockers and all of its settings. 

Its it night and day from 6.8.3 to 6.9.1? Honestly no, but like every update there will be security updates and slight tweaks to the UI that make it seem a bit smoother.

I ran 6.8.3 and then moved to 6.9.Beta-35 which to me seemed like a Happy Medium between 6.8.3 and 6.9.1. 

The reason I stopped at Beta-35 was I had some spin up issues with 6.9 and my drives wouldn't goto sleep. That has been fixed with 6.9.1 and everything on my end works just fine.