LSI 9201-16i a good choice for 16 HDD's?

16i cards are generally pretty expensive. If you plan to just plug HDDs on it, you might want to look at a 8i card plus an expander. You will have plenty of bandwidth, your 16 ports and it should be cheaper.

As for where to buy it, ebay is generally the place most people go to. However, as you said there are some risks. You should first select a good seller, then the product.

When I will need to expand my array, I'll probably go to The Art of Server, even if I have to pay shipping to Europe. Unless I find a reliable EU seller in the meantime.

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

16i cards are generally pretty expensive. If you plan to just plug HDDs on it, you might want to look at a 8i card plus an expander. You will have plenty of bandwidth, your 16 ports and it should be cheaper.

As for where to buy it, ebay is generally the place most people go to. However, as you said there are some risks. You should first select a good seller, then the product.

When I will need to expand my array, I'll probably go to The Art of Server, even if I have to pay shipping to Europe. Unless I find a reliable EU seller in the meantime.

They are on ebay for around $130 new and are in IT mode.

Now i don't know if it's genuine or not ship from china.

Edited by david97
On 3/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, david97 said:

They are on ebay for around $130 new and are in IT mode.

Now i don't know if it's genuine or not ship from china.

If it's a 92XX series and says it's brand new, chances are it's fake. Current production is 93XX

Look for used pulls and refurbished to increase your chances of getting genuine product. New is a red flag for products no longer being officially produced.

I have a Supermicro X11SSH-LN4-F with one LSI SAS 9201 16i. It has been working flawlessly for a year, with 10 HDDs attached to it.

I bought it from this guy : https://www.ebay.fr/usr/ac-tech for 150,00 USD +shipping.

The card does get quite hot, so I installed a fan installed in the PCI-E slot right below the card, with blowing air directly to on to the SAS card radiator. The bracket used to install the fan is like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Three-Mount-Video-Cooling/dp/B00UJ9JSBY 

• Like 1