No longer able to access Unraid Web UI (Solved)

Hi,

I've done some searching but not had much luck.

I've recently moved over to PFsense and have had some issues with accessing my WebUI (Unraid)

When I try to access it at the IP address I get an error:

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.unraid.net.

If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

This seemed to happen after I tried to set a static IP address for it in PfSense.  Since then I've not been able to access it.

I've removed the Static IP addition in the DHCP server and rebooted both my Unraid and Pfsense.

Few other bits of details

• I can access my shares over the network.
  • I have full internet access and can access my old router which I now use as a switch and WAP. (This has its DHCP server turned off.)
  • I can access the UI at the machine itself, all appears in order.
  • I've tried multiple browsers with no effect.
  • I use an OpenVPN on pfsense (with its own DNS Server from NordVPN),

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Edited by daveo132
edited the custom adress

pfsense has DNS Rebinding on by default, that prevents you from getting a local IP address when you do a lookup on yourpersonalhash.unraid.net

You need to disable DNS Rebinding in pfsense for the unraid.net domain. I don't have a lot of experience for this, but if you turn on help for the Settings -> Management Access page it says:

pfSense: If you are using pfSense internal DNS resolver service, you can add these Custom Option lines:

server:
private-domain: "unraid.net"

• Like 2

ok that makes sense.

I tried adding the domain in pfsense but it didn't seem to take.

Disabling rebinding fixed the issue but that isn't a solution of course.

Saying that, I did re-enable the dns rebinding and i could still access the page.  Not sure if I was too quick to try accessing the page again or something else.

I will keep playing with this throughout the day but at least I now know where the issue is! 

Thanks for the help

• daveo132 changed the title to No longer able to access Unraid Web UI (Solved)
  • 2 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 12:19 AM, ljm42 said:

pfsense has DNS Rebinding on by default, that prevents you from getting a local IP address when you do a lookup on yourpersonalhash.unraid.net

You need to disable DNS Rebinding in pfsense for the unraid.net domain. I don't have a lot of experience for this, but if you turn on help for the Settings -> Management Access page it says:

pfSense: If you are using pfSense internal DNS resolver service, you can add these Custom Option lines:

server:
private-domain: "unraid.net"

This worked for me thanks @ljm42 for anyone else using pfsense and the builtin DNS resolver, this can be found under Services -> DNS Resolver and near the bottom you will see a text window for Custom Options. Just add a new line with the entry as @ljm42 suggested:

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 8.40.55 AM.png

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, Xylem59 said:

same here... still open issue

New Pfsense router box --> no access to unraid webUI...

Not a lot to go on here. Are you trying to use a legacy unraid.net certificate? If so, see:

https://unraid.net/blog/ssl-certificate-update-2

Or are you having trouble with a myunraid.net certificate? You can follow these instructions to get access to the server while you work out how to disable DNS Rebinding on your router:

https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#How_to_access_your_server_when_DNS_is_down

23 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Not a lot to go on here. Are you trying to use a legacy unraid.net certificate? If so, see:

https://unraid.net/blog/ssl-certificate-update-2

Or are you having trouble with a myunraid.net certificate? You can follow these instructions to get access to the server while you work out how to disable DNS Rebinding on your router:

https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#How_to_access_your_server_when_DNS_is_down

I ran unraid with my "old" router (Asus) with no issue.

Today, I installed a new pfsense router on a new hardware, new box.

Before I setup my new pfsense router, I set the unraid network.cfg file to keep my initial IP:

Use_DHCP set to NO

192.168.59.xxx

Now the new pfsense router is running (10.15.15.xxx) but I can no longer access unraid webUI using its IP.

I have the below message:

"The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.59.xxx is taking too long to respond."

Any suggestion?

1 minute ago, Xylem59 said:

I ran unraid with my "old" router (Asus) with no issue.

Today, I installed a new pfsense router on a new hardware, new box.

Before I setup my new pfsense router, I set the unraid network.cfg file to keep my initial IP:

Use_DHCP set to NO

192.168.59.xxx

Now the new pfsense router is running (10.15.15.xxx) but I can no longer access unraid webUI using its IP.

I have the below message:

"The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.59.xxx is taking too long to respond."

Any suggestion?

Your pfsense router is on a different IP network from Unraid, you don't want that.

The easiest thing would be to give the pfsense router the same IP/network setup that the Asus had, using 192.168.59.xxx

If you really want to switch over to the 10.15.15.xxx network, you need to let let Unraid get an IP on that network.

3 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Your pfsense router is on a different IP network from Unraid, you don't want that.

The easiest thing would be to give the pfsense router the same IP/network setup that the Asus had, using 192.168.59.xxx

If you really want to switch over to the 10.15.15.xxx network, you need to let let Unraid get an IP on that network.

Thank you, i am pluging back my old router and will reset my pfsense accordingly.

now I turned on my old router and my unraid IP has changed from 192.168.59.xxx to 169.254.53.xxx and cannot access the web...

I am confused...