XFS no file system plus Parity error later

Hey guys,

I'm a litle confused with my Unraid server.

So here is, what happened:
After I installed another RAM-Kit in my Unraid saturday evening, I got hours later (in the middle of the night) an "Unmountable: No file system" Error on disk3. After googling and searching here, I found the common advice trying to fix it using xfs_repair.

Did that yesterday, looked fine, but unraid wouldn't stop the array or shutdown, while stuck at "sync filesystem".

I let it run over night, thought, maybe it would finally get it one time, but it didn't.

Today I managed to shut it down via terminal and tried to let it rebuild the disk on itself (using unraids advice to start the array without the drive and restart it with the drive again).

But now the parity drive gives me an error. So now I'm pretty stuck and don't know what to do.

Find attached the diagnostics from tonight, when I tried to shut it down and from now, a few minutes ago.

I hope to find advice.

Thanks to everyone looking into this.

unraid-diagnostics-20210315-1427.zip unraid-diagnostics-20210315-0115.zip

• Like 1

Problems with parity look more like a connection/power problem, replace cables, disk3 looks like a controller problem, avoid Marvell controllers and SATA port multipliers, especially together, see here for a list of recommended controllers.

Diags don't show how you enabled disk3, did you rebuild or do a new config?

Alright. I have run xfs_repair readonly with lots of errors like

imap claims in-use inode 131 is free, would correct imap

imap claims in-use inode 131 is free, would correct imap

and 

entry "NvidiaRecordings" in shortform directory 6446624898 references non-existent inode 78619225
would have junked entry "NvidiaRecordings" in directory inode 6446624898

Are there any suggestions how to deal with the Parity drive? Regarding power and Chipset, the only possibility beyond what I already tried is a usb SATA dock, that I have laying around. That's running of its own PSU and obviously usb controller. You think that might be helpful?

EDIT: I guess the rebuilt drive is corrupt, it went through it so fast, there's no way it has rebuilt that 6TB drive in 10 minutes (which it did).

Edited by 32Domi
28 minutes ago, 32Domi said:

Are there any suggestions how to deal with the Parity drive?

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

replace cables

28 minutes ago, 32Domi said:

EDIT: I guess the rebuilt drive is corrupt, it went through it so fast, there's no way it has rebuilt that 6TB drive in 10 minutes (which it did).

In that case it's obviously corrupt, and don't forget to get rid of that Marvell + PMP controller

• 4 weeks later...

An eternity later, I'm finally able to deal with those problems with my Unraid (that's been offline and ignored for almost a month now).

So what I'm trying to do today:

* I tried running the parity drive on another SATA power line on the PSU, another SATA cable and another onboard SATA port of the mainboard. - Still disabled.

* I swapped out the SATA controller with a suggested chipset, hoping it won't get me into trouble anymore.

* I tried running Memtest, but it just won't start. If I select Memtest in the Unraid boot menu, it will just freeze for half a second and then restart.

So what would you guys suggest to do now?

Thx for your kind suggestions so far.

4 minutes ago, 32Domi said:

tried running Memtest, but it just won't start. If I select Memtest in the Unraid boot menu, it will just freeze for half a second and then restart.

The memtest that comes with unRaid will give those symptoms if you are booting in UEFI mode.     If you want a version that works in UEFI mode then you need to download it from the memtest web site

5 minutes ago, 32Domi said:

I tried running the parity drive on another SATA power line on the PSU, another SATA cable and another onboard SATA port of the mainboard. - Still disabled.

Simply fixing a connection/power issue is not sufficient to clear the disabled status.    You need to rebuild the parity to clear it.

9 minutes ago, 32Domi said:

How about rebuilding the parity, while it technically should still be valid, since I didn't write data to the array and I (still!) have an unmountable drive? (as mentioned earlier in this thread

you could use Tools -> New Config and select the option to retain all the current assignments.     Then when you return to the Main tab tick the “Parity is already valid” checkbox before starting the array and unRaid will promptly try and start the array without rebuilding parity.     This will not however guarantee that parity IS valid, and you would need to run a parity check to confirm it is.

Fixing an unmountable drive is a different issue and is covered here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the unRaid GUI.  I believe there is wiki article that goes into even more detail but I do not have its link to hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, again two weeks later:
I had memtest running with no error for some hours (default of memtest settings, 4 runs or so). 

So the problems I'm stuck with:

- A corrupted drive (got corrupted while it was beeing rebuilt after filesystem not unmountable)

- A probably fine parity drive, that was taken offline by unraid, obviously because some cabling issue or so, as mentioned earlier.

What would you guys suggest to do next?

20 hours ago, 32Domi said:

A corrupted drive (got corrupted while it was beeing rebuilt after filesystem not unmountable)

Is this still the result of this:

On 3/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, 32Domi said: