[SOLD OUT (again)] Boxee Box $138 @ Pipeline....(typically $199)

mbryanr

I have a Boxee Box playing files from my unRAID server and it's been nothing but a treat. I barely use it's online capabilities to stream things, so perhaps that's an area that isn't getting such rave reviews? As a local media streaming device w/scraping capabilities, it's been perfect.

You have any issues w/ movie skipping?  I noticed this when I just wake up the server and start playing the movie from the boxee.  I then will have to stop the movie and start over after that its smooth as butter. 

I have a Boxee Box playing files from my unRAID server and it's been nothing but a treat. I barely use it's online capabilities to stream things, so perhaps that's an area that isn't getting such rave reviews? As a local media streaming device w/scraping capabilities, it's been perfect.

You have any issues w/ movie skipping?   I noticed this when I just wake up the server and start playing the movie from the boxee.  I then will have to stop the movie and start over after that its smooth as butter. 

The loading circle thing appears when I'm waking up server HDDs, which is expected, but I haven't had any skipping issues. Connected to the server using smb links to UnRAID shares, on unRAID 4.7 and the most up-to-date version of Boxee (well, technically not, since they updated yesterday and I'm yet to turn it on since).

I've had mine unopened in a box since the first set of shipments in back in November  :D

I figure I'll eventually get around to hooking it soon. And from what the past few months have been like in terms of lowered expectations, I'm glad I haven't bothered to play with it yet. Especially since they only recently just deployed Netflix support.

IMO, Netflix streaming is overrated. Access to some of the TV series is nice though.  Don't know exactly what you mean by lowered expectations?

After having to deal with moviesheets on the WDTV Live, and the navigation hell to get to a movie...the Boxee is way ahead, and way simpler. 

And after reviewing the NFO thread on boxee....I don't think I want to have to deal with managing my own database of movie info again.

IMO, Netflix streaming is overrated.

+1

Netflix is quietly killing their physical media business because it is 20x more profitable to stream instead.  But I think they are overestimating their importance in a market that is getting crowded with more solid solutions.

Perhaps the non-sale section of this thread should be moved to the lounge?  

Anyway, considering the hype and heavy marketing behind the Boxee, it has come to market very late, and in an underwhelming fashion, so I can understand the resistance to deeming it a legitimate alternative to other well-proven solutions readily available.  Also, the grandfather of all UIs for media management is XBMC, and it is still further ahead than all the other solutions.  Many, including Boxee and Plex, based their UI code on the open license XBMC platform.  This is all coming from a Dune user, so what do I know.  :P

Oh, and how do you guys make that odd looking quasi-cube look good in your entertainment stack?