Traveling NAS

eagle470

I'm buying a new camper this week and it comes with a TV. So to make the best of the situation and give myself the most control, I want to install a NAS so that I have to be the one to start it up, unlock the boot process and allow the kiddos to watch movies. 

As such I'm leaning towards either SSD's or seagate 2.5" 4TB drives. I'm wondering if I can safely run SSD's in the array or if I would be safer off just running a large cache pool?

You're advice is greatly appreciated.

@limetech

4 minutes ago, eagle470 said:

I'm wondering if I can safely run SSD's in the array

Yes, unless you get some quirky model, trim won't work though, so there might be some write performance degradation over time, I have a small SSD array and so far it's still performing well, even after every device was overwritten multiple times.

It doesn't, trim it's not supported for array devices for now, but even without it trim performance can still be good, recommend a good quality SSD like the Samsung 860 or 870 EVO, Crucial MX500, etc, I use the 860 EVO, and if possible a faster and more endurant device for parity, I use an NVMe device, don't forget that parity will have has many writes as all the array devices combined.