Docker: nsfminerOC (unsupported)

This container will no longer be maintained or supported as of 23.07.2021. Fork it, modify it, do whatever with it if you need it.

Docker container for Ethereum mining with CUDA (nsfminer) with Nvidia OC capabilities.

This Docker container was inspired by the docker-nsfminer which was inspired by docker-ethminer. It uses the nsfminer with OC capabilities with the Nvidia driver. This docker will allow for over- and underclocking of Nvidia GPU's for Ethereum mining in a docker. One docker template per GPU.

GitHub project: https://github.com/olehj/docker-nsfminerOC

Questions about mining specific questions, workers and wallets will not be answered anymore. There's enough guides and information out there in the sky. Google it, please. Support here is limited to the docker container, where most is answered in this post below:

Requirements

• Unraid 6.9+
  • NVIDIA drivers for your GPU installed*
  • Docker is set to run in privileged mode, it is required for overclocking and for setting the drivers in persistence mode.
  • GPU with at least 5GB memory or more (current requirement is above 4,2GB).

*) Verified working Nvidia driver: v460.73.01 (Production Branch) - v465.X does not allow for overclocks with Unraid/docker combo for unknown reasons.

Installation

Install this docker container using CA (Community Applications), search for NsfminerOC and install!

Configuration

Variable                     Default Value                                Description
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NSFMINER_GPU                 0                                            Set GPU ID to use (open terminal and check "nvidia-smi")
NSFMINER_GPUPOWERLIMIT       150                                          Set power limit for GPU in Watt (set this as low as you can with highest possible hashrates)
NSFMINER_POWERMIZER          2                                            Set PowerMizer performance level (0=adaptive, 1=max performance, 2=auto)
NSFMINER_GPUGFXCLOCKOFFSET   0                                            Set GPU graphics clock offset (under- or overclock your GPU in MHz offset)
NSFMINER_GPUMEMCLOCKOFFSET   0                                            Set GPU memory clock offset (overclock your memory in MHz, NB! often these values are the double of what they are shown as in Windows so just crank it up!)
NSFMINER_HWMON               2                                            Set Feedback level from nsfminer (feedback from the miner, 0=off, 1=temp+fan, 2=temp+fan+power)
NSFMINER_TRANSPORT           stratum1+ssl                                 Set transport for worker
NSFMINER_ETHADDRESS          0x516eaf4546BBeA271d05A3E883Bd2a11730Ef97b   Set your worker ethereum address (or mine an hour or so for me if you wanna support my docker work ;)
NSFMINER_WORKERNAME          unraid-worker                                Set a worker name
NSFMINER_ADDRESS1            eu1.ethermine.org                            Set address 1 for worker, both must be set
NSFMINER_ADDRESS2            us1.ethermine.org                            Set address 2 for worker, both must be set
NSFMINER_PORT1               5555                                         Set port for address 1
NSFMINER_PORT2               5555                                         Set port for address 2
NSFMINER_GPUFANCONTROLL      0                                            Set GPU fan controll, 0 will run auto and other fan settings are ignored. GPU MUST have exactly 2 fan controllers available, else this container will fail if this is used.
NSFMINER_GPUFAN1             0                                            Set the FAN ID 1 of GPU (check fan ID with "nvidia-settings -q fans" in terminal)
NSFMINER_GPUFANSPEED1        100                                          Set the speed in percent of FAN ID 1
NSFMINER_GPUFAN2             1                                            Set the FAN ID 2 of GPU (check fan ID with "nvidia-settings -q fans" in terminal)
NSFMINER_GPUFANSPEED2        100                                          Set the speed in percent of FAN ID 2

Running

View the logs for worker output

Overclocking example

Some cards will report that they are read-only when trying to overclock them, such as Quadro cards. This is normal behavior as they are factory locked.

For on-demand overclocking, open the "Logs" to check the hashrates when the docker container is running. Then open "Console" to enter in tuning data manually to figure out the optimized mining values for your card. When all values are found, store them in the variables in the docker container edit in Unraid.

The GPU ID is set to "0", adjust yours accordingly. The examples below is set for a GTX 1070.

Set the PowerMizer mode to 0=adaptive, 1=max performance, 2=auto

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1

Adjust the GPU Graphics clock offset on all performance levels, crank it up until it starts giving errors and then back up. If you are on a 3000-series card, you might want to underclock this one instead and save the power consumption (check example settings for other cards below).

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsClockOffsetAllPerformanceLevels=200

Adjust the GPU Memory clock offset, crank this one up until it gives errors, crashes or decreases in hashrates, then back it up to a stable value.

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffsetAllPerformanceLevels=800

Finally, adjust the power limit. Decrease this as much as possible until you hit a target where the hashrates fall. Optimally calculate how much power vs. hashrates you can squeeze out. Sometimes some fine tuning with less or more clocks and power draw can give you better profit. Slightly less hashrates with less power draw might be better profit!

nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 135

Other GPU value examples

GPU        PowerMizer      GPU GFX        GPU MEM    Power limit   Hashrates (~)   Effective Score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RTX 3080        1          (-300)-(-200)  2300-2500  230-235       97.0-98.5 MH/s  0,421-0,419 *
RTX 3070        1          (-600)-(-550)  2300-2400  130-135       60.0-60.2 MH/s  0,462-0,446 *
GTX 1070 Stock  1                   200         800      135       28 MH/s         0,207
GTX 1070 OC     1                   100         400      135       28 MH/s         0,207
Quadro P2000    1                     0           0       65       15.6 MH/s       0,24

Some cards might have higher factory clocks in VBIOS like these GTX 1070 GPU's. One of these cards is an OC optimized VBIOS/card, the other one just a standard VBIOS/card with less cooling. The target to reach the hashrates might vary, don't use this table for your own input, this is just an example and might be slightly used for a reference of where it should be. The values might need slight tuning after a while as it might wear out the real top performance of the memory chips, or the ambient temperature simply rises etc.

*) The effective score of the RTX 3000 cards shows that it might even be better to run at slightly lower hashrates and power limit, than trying to boost it all up, even with just 5 watts.

Fan curves

You can also play around with the fan curves, setting it low to reduce the noise can also impact the hashrates. But maybe you want to duplicate your docker container for a "optimized run mode" and a "night mode". Adjusting fan curves might require 2 fan controllers on the graphics card, if the docker container fails and the GPU has only one controller, use "auto" setting (default).

Adjust fan controller, 0=auto, 1=manual

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1

Adjust speed for fan 1 (same procedure for fan 2, just replace the number with another fan ID), value in %:

nvidia-settings -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80

Setting up multiple cards/containers

root@Odin:~# nvidia-smi 
       Tue Apr  6 15:06:36 2021       
       +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
       | NVIDIA-SMI 460.67       Driver Version: 460.67       CUDA Version: 11.2     |
       |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
       | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
       | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
       |                               |                      |               MIG M. |
       |===============================+======================+======================|
ID ->  |   0  GeForce GTX 1070    On   | 00000000:04:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
       | 51%   76C    P2   135W / 135W |   4631MiB /  8119MiB |    100%      Default |
       |                               |                      |                  N/A |
       +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
ID ->  |   1  Quadro P2000        On   | 00000000:83:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
       | 92%   81C    P0    65W /  75W |   4862MiB /  5059MiB |    100%      Default |
       |                               |                      |                  N/A |
       +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

The output of "nvidia-smi" in the terminal will show you each GPU ID, this ID you enter under NSFMINER_GPU variable. If you have multiple GPU's:

1. Install first the NsfminerOC container via CA.
  2. Configure the first NsfminerOC
  3. Click "Add container" and select one of your NsfminerOC templates
  4. Configure your second container
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 for third, fourth etc...

Edited by olehj
End of support
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, sWampyGround said:

When I try to install it, I get

docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for olehj/nsfmineroc, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied.
See 'docker run --help'.

yeah i can't install the docker either

47 minutes ago, Natebur said:

I had the same issue. Try replacing repository with olehj/docker-nsfmineroc:latest

You are right! "docker-" part were missing in the repository. The issue should be fixed now, but it has to be pulled from CA before changes apply. In the meantime it's safe to replace the repository to "olehj/docker-nsfmineroc:latest" from "olehj/nsfmineroc:latest"

4 minutes ago, olehj said:

Yes, it might be that you run different nvidia driver versions, check that you DON'T run the "latest" nvidia driver, but set it static to 460.67.

Correct, that is how it’s setup. I did upgrade to 460.67 and I have restarted the system to apply the new driver 

4261ECE6-99C6-46A6-9771-62B7EE422F8A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Natebur said:

Correct, that is how it’s setup. I did upgrade to 460.67 and I have restarted the system to apply the new driver 

By chance that any other docker container with privileged rights or VM's uses this GPU? The results might vary. I am running a Quadro P2000 fine myself in both Emby and nsfminerOC. I'm not sure what might block this, the mileage might vary from card to card and system to system.

4 minutes ago, olehj said:

By chance that any other docker container with privileged rights or VM's uses this GPU? The results might vary. I am running a Quadro P2000 fine myself in both Emby and nsfminerOC. I'm not sure what might block this, the mileage might vary from card to card and system to system.

I had plex using it as well as the os was booted into GUI mode. I have booted the os into standard mode and removed it from plex as well. No VMs.

Just now, Natebur said:

I had plex using it as well as the os was booted into GUI mode. I have booted the os into standard mode and removed it from plex as well. No VMs.

The GUI mode is likely the problem, should run fine with Plex (I use mine with Emby without problem, and it's sort of the same thing).

2 minutes ago, olehj said:

The GUI mode is likely the problem, should run fine with Plex (I use mine with Emby without problem, and it's sort of the same thing).

I’ve already booted into non-GUI mode and the issue continues. I also removed the plug-in GPUstat in case that was causing it, but it continues as well.

6 minutes ago, Natebur said:

I’ve already booted into non-GUI mode and the issue continues. I also removed the plug-in GPUstat in case that was causing it, but it continues as well.

GPU stat, Emby/(probably Plex) should cause no issue with this docker container. Open regular Unraid terminal and verify that your GPU is set at the correct GPU ID. And check if you maybe see some hints in the Syslog? Sorry, I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

2 hours ago, olehj said:

check that you DON'T run the "latest" nvidia driver, but set it static to 460.67

Wouldn't it be better to check which driver version is installed on the host on a container start/restart and install the appropriate driver version afterwards in the container?

I also do this in my DebianBuster-Nvidia container, so you are always have the same driver version installed in the container and on the host.

2 hours ago, olehj said:

GPU stat, Emby/(probably Plex) should cause no issue with this docker container. Open regular Unraid terminal and verify that your GPU is set at the correct GPU ID. And check if you maybe see some hints in the Syslog? Sorry, I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

What format should the GPU ID be?

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Wouldn't it be better to check which driver version is installed on the host on a container start/restart and install the appropriate driver version afterwards in the container?

I also do this in my DebianBuster-Nvidia container, so you are always have the same driver version installed in the container and on the host.

Probably, but now the latest is 465.X on unraid, and that driver isn't available in ubuntu repo, the graphics ppa or at nvidia.com. Then the other problem is the cuda versions, nsfminer runs cuda 11. Older nvidia drivers does not support that as far as I remember, even though I'm not sure what CUDA version 455 is at (which is the lowest at Unraid nvidia plugin).

This docker container has probably a limited time before mining isn't even meaningful anymore, maybe as early as in July already. Not sure if I bother supporting multiple versions with this one. Not a priority anyway.

3 minutes ago, olehj said:

Probably

That would be only a few lines of code... ;)

5 minutes ago, olehj said:

that driver isn't available in ubuntu repo, the graphics ppa or at nvidia.com

You always can get them from here, I also pull it from here to build it for the Nvidia-Driver plugin: Click

6 minutes ago, olehj said:

his docker container has probably a limited time before mining isn't even meaningful anymore, maybe as early as in July already. Not sure if I bother supporting multiple versions with this one. Not a priority anyway.

Understood, thought this would be helpful.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Actually yes... :D

But I don't know how your container works anyways it starts here at line 44 and it ends at 100 but I think you don't need a few lines in between.

I have everything squeezed inside the Dockerfile, but I think I'll manage to shrink and add this in as well

• FlamongOle changed the title to Docker: nsfminerOC (unsupported)