Cache drive won't empty, despite endless troubleshooting - please help!

Hi all,

I'm extremely frustrated to find myself unable to solve this problem on my own, but am now very much hoping someone can help. I feel like there must be software Gremlins in the corner of the room pissing themselves laughing at me as I type this.

So...I frequently run DelugeVPN, setup as per SpaceInvaders awesome tutorial. This places the fresh download files temporoarily in a Downloads\Incomplete and then Downloads\Complete folder once finished. This downloads folder is an UnRaid share set to Cache:Yes.

I believe the mistake I have made is that the final destination folder (aka Unraid shares) for these files, for example 'Software', also has had a setting of Cache:Yes. This has meant whether I manually cut/paste downloads or Sonarr etc is moving them, they are only being effectively moved as far as another folder on the cache drive. So then eventually the cache drive fills as more downloads come in behind the existing ones.

I have changed these final destination folders to Cache:No, and now also the Downloads folder to the same, but mover still doesn't want to clear out these files from the Cache. I have tried switching off Dockers before invoking the mover, with no luck, and today for some reason now the mover will not even start working when I click the button.

At this point I am at a loss as to what to do next - thanks in advance for any help. Diagnostics are attached.

themagiceye-diagnostics-20210319-1401.zip

Edited by nametaken_thisonetoo
Clarity

You need Use Cache set to "Yes" if you want mover to transfer files from cache to array.   If set to "No" and files already exist on the cache then mover will not touch them so they will be left there.

You should check that you do not have top level folders on the drives with the same spelling but different capitalization since Linux is care sensitive but Samba is not.  In such a case you will see the contents of only one of the different capitalization.

Thanks for the reply - I have previously had cache set to Yes on the relevant Shares. It seemed to work fine until it just didn't anymore, which is odd as I have not been playing with any settings, new dockers, VM's etc.

I am not sure how to check the top level of the cache drive other than by clicking on the folder icon in Main>Cache. Doing so only shows one set of folder names. Is there a better way to check this, such as Krusader? I have noticed this mentioned a few times but haven't used it yet

Clarity

Sigh...I think I have FINALLY worked out what has been causing the problem. @itimpi if you could confirm I'm on the right track I would be eternally grateful.

1. When I first set up UnRaid a few months ago some of my Shares were set to only reside on 2 of the 4 drives in my array. Not sure why I did this but it seemed like a plan at the time.

2. The largest Share amongst these is TV Shows, and was setup with a Split Level of only the Top 2 Levels.

3. These drives are now at or near capacity, meaning that Mover can't always shift new TV Show files to the array because the two drives that contain the top two levels of the TV Show Share are too full.

I'm reluctant to set TV Shows to Top Level or Any Level Splits as I'd rather keep each show on the same drive if possible. But if this is the only fix then I'm ok with it. Alternatively, is there any way to cut and paste some of the shows from one array drive to another array drive but still within the TV Show share?

An unfortunate consequence of my early array config is that my files are now not evenly spread across the 4 array drives.

Clarity