HELP!!!!! PLEASE !!!!

Hi,

I just installed an app called Nut something to monitor my UPS on a perfectly working 6.9.1 Unraid and all of a sudden all hell broke loose.
My dockers went down. Docker service won't start anymore. But the installed apps still run and are accessible. Unraid is still available but saying it is missing the key file.
I am scared to reboot or do anything.

BTW accessing my Unraid from the network the flash drive looks empty. No surprise it asks for a missing key.
What can I do?

Would it help if I retrieved my flash drive while Unraid is still running and loaded in memory, prepare the flash drive as new with the latest Unraid version, insert the  pro key file I still have and reinsert the flash drive?

And if I manage to do that, is there a way I could "export" my present running configuration to the newly prepared flash drive, as if nothing happened?

novanas2-syslog-20210319-0829.zip

Edited by xtrips
4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Flash drive troubles, power down and run chkdsk on it, if still issues try redoing it, if that also fails it might be failing.

Are you sure? Note that the flash drive have been corrupted by this NUT app installation.
And that everything is still running so powering down might leave me without a server in the end and I will need to start from scratch. I know the volume will still be there when I mount it with the right disks and all but all my apps and configuration will be gone right? Or are they safe because sitting on the cache drive?

Edited by xtrips

Anybody???? Please !
In the meantime I retrieved the flash, without powering down, and I scanned it. I found errors and they were corrected. The flash is readable on my PC. The key file seems to be still in the config folder. Reinserting it did not help Unraid find the key yet. 
What is next? I am not powering down unless I get some help to save my configuration. 

1 minute ago, gberg said:

Do you have any flash drive backups, I always try to do that once a moth or whenever I do config changes? 

Why? My flash drive is passing the chkdsk test now, it is readable on my PC, my Pro key file is in the config folder, and I can have access and backup if necessary any files or folders on the flash drive, but only on my PC. If I click on view the flash drive content on the Unraid page it says 0 file 0 directories. But that might be because of what happened. Maybe I could reboot the server but I am just too scared to do that before I check every thing first. I really don't want to go through the long parity check, app installs and configuration again.....

If you can't read the flash content from unraid, I guess you have a issue there, have you tried it in another USB port.

But I'm not really sure how unraid reacts when you unplug an plug the flash drive again while running, maybe Unraid need to be rebooted for the flash drive to be detected?

6 minutes ago, gberg said:

If you can't read the flash content from unraid, I guess you have a issue there, have you tried it in another USB port.

But I'm not really sure how unraid reacts when you unplug an plug the flash drive again while running, maybe Unraid need to be rebooted for the flash drive to be detected?

I could try another USB port to refresh the reading of the flash. But most importantly I need to be reassured. Accessing the settings page still shows remnants of that crappy app called NUT, and I cannot remove them of course. Is there something I could do on the flash drive on my PC to "clean" it from any new files or modifications this NUT app made and that "could" prevent a clean reboot?

This is what shows if I click on the Flash drive in the Main page.
image.thumb.png.d2712ce8ca7aaf63bc99d7824fe38eb3.png

Edited by xtrips
23 minutes ago, gberg said:

I'm not sure there are any issues with the NUT plugin, many peaple uses it.

Personally I prefer APCUPSD, but mainly works on APC UPS models.

Wrong. While it was installing I clearly saw a warning that my Unraid version is too new and is not supported but this ^#%$ app did not stop and proceeded until the docker service crashed and something made my flash drive disappear. 

This might even appear in the syslog I posted.

For the moment I could go on like that since all the apps work and the volume is accessible, but what concerns me is that my APC UPS is not visible anymore and I cannot renew the connection with it because of that ^&%^$^ NUT app.

Edited by xtrips
2 hours ago, xtrips said:

Are you sure?

Yes, flash drive dropped, it either a flash or USB controller problem.

Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: usb 1-12: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: usb 1-12: device firmware changed
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: usb 1-12: USB disconnect, device number 3
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1686 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 1623, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 9373 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 9310, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 207701 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x100000 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 207638, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 207701 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1686 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): unable to read inode block for updating (i_pos 3322223)
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): FAT read failed (blocknr 1623)
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 64 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 1, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 207647 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 207584, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 207695 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 207632, lost async page write
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 64 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): bread failed in fat_clusters_flush
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: usb 1-12: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 207632) failed
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 207633) failed
Mar 19 10:16:23 Novanas2 kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 207634) failed

Great advice. I took my flash to my PC and removed any remnants of this NUT app (folders and files) and also looked for any later changes. After I was satisfied I plugged it back in Unraid, took a deep breath, and rebooted. 
Apart from the fact it detected an unclean shutdown and started a parity check everything looks fine. Small price to pay.

Is there any integrity check I could run to be sure? Any flash cleanup tool maybe?

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It's running on both main main servers, both on v6.9.1, without any issues.

Considering your pedigree you probably know what you are talking about.
What do you think happened?
It happened exactly as I wrote it. Everything was fine. I ran the install of NUT, got that message in the script about Unraid being too new, and then I didn't even have time to press the Done button for the install docker crashed and the rest is told in my messages up there....

Anyway what the NUT app would give me with my APC UPS that the built in features won't? 

8 hours ago, xtrips said:

I ran the install of NUT, got that message in the script about Unraid being too new, and then I didn't even have time to press the Done button for the install docker crashed and the rest is told in my messages up there.

Those messages

plugin: skipping: nut-2.7.4.20181125-x86_64-1.txz - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.7.99
plugin: skipping: nut-2.7.4.20171129-x86_64-1.txz - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.4.99

Are the plugin deciding which version to install.

Package nut-2.7.4.20200318-x86_64-1.txz installed.

17 hours ago, JorgeB said:

My guess is it was a coincidence, the issues logged are hardware problems, not software.

One other thing that could have caused the issue is if you connected the UPS at that point, if for some reason reset the USB controller and if the flash drive was using the same one it could have been the reason for the drop.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

One other thing that could have caused the issue is if you connected the UPS at that point, if for some reason reset the USB controller and if the flash drive was using the same one it could have been the reason for the drop.

No everything was in place and working when I decided to install the NUT app. NUT is not that important for me to retry I guess. Thank you very much for your help

• 4 weeks later...

I have an issue that looks similar.

Also not sure if it is a coincidence but this happend lately:

I updated my BIOS Version and went to unraid 6.9.2 and had the issue that my system only kept up for some hours (between 3 and 12 hours). A tried several BIOS Settings regarding power settings, because i thought i missed something when i made the BIOS update. I had to reboot the server every time.

One time all my docker container were also not accessible.

I deleted the docker image and reinstalled them, then they worked fine again, but the freezes didn't stop.

Maybe it is a coincidence but my config.php of nextcloud seems empty but it is still working properly (as long as the server is up and running...).
I try now to get it back from one of my appdata backups, but still wondering why nextcloud is still working...

- Edit: I tried to edit the folder "config" instead of the "config.php" in the folder config, so this is not an error ;) 

Now i was able to see on the connected monitor some errors on different blocknrs:

"FAT-fs (sda1): FAT read failed"

"blk_update_request:I/O error, dev sda, sector .... op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0"

See attached screenshot.

I got an actual backup of the flash drive but i am not sure if it is about to fail.

photo_2021-04-12_12-09-15.thumb.jpg.c72dde08c3444afaf1c7100904270303.jpg

Edited by Harlequin42

Those messages definitely indicate that the system is having problems reading from the flash drive.   I would suggest that at the very least try plugging it into a Windows/Mac system and let that check the drive.

Sometimes simply rewriting its contents can help.  Maybe even just downloading the zip file from the unRaid site and extracting all the bz* type files overwriting the ones on the flash drive might be sufficient.

If the flash drive is about to fail do you have a backup of it?   In particular the ‘config’ folder and its settings as that contains all the user specific settings and the licence file.