App to upload photos from Android Phone? - Plex Camera Upload Replacement

zero_koop

Now that the Plex Camera Upload feature is going away, I’m looking for a replacement app to move photos from my Android phone to my Unraid Server. I've looked through Unraid apps in the past, but didn't find anything that stood out to me as definitely having that capability. I’m sure I could implement a multi-step process of uploading to the cloud (something I do not want to do) and then downloading to my server on occasion, but that sounds time consuming and inconvenient. Does anyone have any suggestions for a direct transfer between the two? I suppose the solution would have to include an app for Android and for Unraid.  Bonus points if the solution allows me to upload photos from outside the local network.

Edited by zero_koop
  • zero_koop changed the title to App to upload photos from Android Phone? - Plex Camera Upload Replacement
2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

nextcloud does this

This looks like it will do the trick, and potentially solve a few other file sync issues I have!  It looks like it supports automatic upload.  Do you know if I can set it to only upload when charging or other conditions like that?  Also, I'm not seeing a price (other than for the Enterprise version) so I'm assuming it is free?  I'm happy to pay for software, but not looking to subscribe to a service.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, zero_koop said:

Do you know if I can set it to only upload when charging or other conditions like that?

Yes, the mobile client supports granularity down to the folder level, so you can have videos only sync while charging, but photos synced immediately.

Totally free.

It's not the fastest program, so temper your expectations on performance, but other than that it's been great for me.

• Thanks 1

On Google Play you´ll find Network Browser which is not working on folder upload on my mobile (Samsung) it´s crashing with a black screen but works well transfering single files to my shares.

I´ve posted the same issue in another language and will let you know as soon as I got something performing much better than NB...

1 (2).png

1 (3).png

1 (4).png

1 (1).png

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, zero_koop said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a direct transfer between the two? >>YES<< I suppose the solution would have to include an app for Android >>YES<< and for Unraid >>NO<<.  Bonus points if the solution allows me to upload photos from outside the local network >>YES e. g. VPN<<.

Cx File Explorer is working great for me. I can download files from my share and upload files from my android to the share (Unraid). Also via VPN, can´t see any difference to the local network via wifi.  

12.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the other suggestions.  I went ahead and tried out NextCloudPi.  Right now I'm very impressed with it's capabilities and performance, but for now I'm not opening it up to being accessible off the network (not the biggest priority for me at this time).  There were times during the setup that I wondered if I should be pursuing a more simple solution, but I eventually got it working.  I do suggest it for others who are seeking a solution, but I am still in the phase of testing it's stability and reliability.  In other words, does it get 100% of my photos or will it miss a couple once in a while?  If I end up changing my mind I'll be sure to look further into the other solutions suggested.

Edited by zero_koop
1 hour ago, zero_koop said:

I went ahead and tried out NextCloudPi. 

I'm not familiar with that implementation, I'm using nextcloud, mariadb, collabora and swag all as separate containers and the server end is very reliable. I have had the mobile client flake out on me every once in a while, but it always catches back up when I restart it.

I'll be interested to see how the all in one container implementation treats you.

Same here. Nextcloud + mariadb + swag + nginx proxy manager. I think these are the basic docker containers you need to be able to connect outside LAN safely.
If you only need to sync inside your LAN network then there are other (maybe more simple) solutions like eg. syncthing.

Browsing images can be a bit slow but the Nextcloud mobile app works very well. It never missed an upload and it syncs a second after a picture is taken. No complaints there.

Edited by Aran
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I just wanted to update my thread with some thoughts for anyone else who is looking for this solution.  I used NextcloudPi for about 1.5 years and I was not ever really comfortable with it.  The app is very unstable, prone to breaking upon updates (I never learned the lesson of just leaving the app alone when it is working and avoid updating), and just generally required a lot of babysitting to keep working on everyone's phones.  Keep in mind I am referring only to NextcloudPi and not regular Nextcloud which looked too complex for me to setup.  Honestly, the main reason I went with Nextcloud to begin with was because it offered the possibility of syncing photos while outside of my LAN.  But I never really tried to get that portion of it working anyway.  After having to reinstall the docker a few times over the past 1.5 years I started getting a weird file permission issue that never affected me before and I couldn't fix it so I had to move on (reinstalling didn't work).

I have now been using Syncthing for the past month or so and I really love this app (thanks to @Aran for the suggestion).  It was pretty simple to get running, is a super lightweight app, seems really stable, and the Android app just works without the need to babysit it.  Honestly this is exactly what I was looking for as a replacement to Plex Camera Upload.  The only downside is that I cannot upload outside of my network (only really an issue when I'm on vacation) but the stability of the app more than makes of for that.  When I'm on vacation I just temporarily turn on uploading to Google Photos.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, zero_koop said:

I just wanted to update my thread with some thoughts for anyone else who is looking for this solution.  I used NextcloudPi for about 1.5 years and I was not ever really comfortable with it.  The app is very unstable, prone to breaking upon updates (I never learned the lesson of just leaving the app alone when it is working and avoid updating), and just generally required a lot of babysitting to keep working on everyone's phones.  Keep in mind I am referring only to NextcloudPi and not regular Nextcloud which looked too complex for me to setup.  Honestly, the main reason I went with Nextcloud to begin with was because it offered the possibility of syncing photos while outside of my LAN.  But I never really tried to get that portion of it working anyway.  After having to reinstall the docker a few times over the past 1.5 years I started getting a weird file permission issue that never affected me before and I couldn't fix it so I had to move on (reinstalling didn't work).

I have now been using Syncthing for the past month or so and I really love this app (thanks to @Aran for the suggestion).  It was pretty simple to get running, is a super lightweight app, seems really stable, and the Android app just works without the need to babysit it.  Honestly this is exactly what I was looking for as a replacement to Plex Camera Upload.  The only downside is that I cannot upload outside of my network (only really an issue when I'm on vacation) but the stability of the app more than makes of for that.  When I'm on vacation I just temporarily turn on uploading to Google Photos.

Thanks for this! I will check it out! :)

1 hour ago, Aran said:

@DanielPT
I could not get syncthing to work outside LAN so i tried 'resilio' and it works very well over WAN without opening ports on your router. It's running fine on my android Mi 9T but on my samsung i have to manually open the 'resilio' app to trigger the sync so i don't think it's resilio problem.

Thanks!

I dont need it to do the upload on wan but it is fine with LAN.