New Ubuntu VMs black screen

Help! I'm not a VM guru or anything - just need a linux environment for a dependency for an app I'm building.

I successfully deployed an Ubuntu VM, but it ran out of space (and won't let me allocate new filesystem space).

So now I'm trying to build another VM. After the VM boots (I get the boot screen and filesystem checks come back OK), the screen turns black and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT - I used the exact same ISO and settings on the first machine, which booted/installed immediately with no problems (a week ago)

Edited by dealbakerjones

OK so I've rebooted the server and the original VM still won't load in noVNC.

I did manage to get another one up and running (but ~10 others did not); it shares the exact same settings as the first Ubuntu VM (the .xml configs are identical).

I'm a little terrified I'll lose all this work, because I honestly have no idea whatsoever what went wrong or how I would fix it.

Since I also can't seem to get Ubuntu up in VirtualBox either, this could be a project-ending problem for me.