Change adduser-Restriction

Hello Programmers.
I'd like to see if you can change the restrictions for adding new users. ATM it's not possible to add users with dots
for example max.mustermann
The advantage is, that you can use your windows-credentials for logging in to shares from UnRaid if username and password matches.

In our Company and also on my home-computers i use dots in usernames for a long time in my old nas-system OpenMediaVault with no
problems, also every windows-machine will allow that. It would be fine if UnRaid will do so, too 🙂

There's a work around you can use if its acceptable to you: samba has username mapping

merge this into /boot/config/smb-extra.conf (\\tower\flash\config\smb-extra.conf) - you create the file if it doesn't exist or you add the username map line under the [global] section

[global]
    username map = /boot/config/smb-users.map

then create /boot/config/smb-users.map (\\tower\flash\config\smb-users.map)

user_name = user.name

user_name is the name you have created in Unraid

user.name is the name you have in the windows machines

So two clients with both usernames  will  be treated as the same user (same password and permissions <- this is if acceptable to you.

This should take effect immediately, or by restarting the samba service (/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart) or by stopping and starting the array

Edited by ken-ji
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...