First timer UNRAID Plex Media/VM Build

Canes

Hi All,

So first time posting and getting ready to order components for my first UNRAID/Plex Media Server build.  Below are the components I am leaning towards at the moment and also I've listed out main use cases for this build to help with recommendations.  Sincerely appreciate any recommendations or tips folks have.

Budget - 

Uses:

1. 4K Streaming - I do share my Plex with friends and family but I cap all external streams to the 1080p library and have a separate 4K library only available on local devices which are all NVIDIA Shield TV Pros I already own.   Currently have a single 14TB external drive most media is hosted on and want the security of Parity drives since I really don't want to download everything again (nothing irreplaceable).  On the 14tb drive there are about 1,500 movies and 35 TV series all 720p/1080p/4K now plus I have another 4TB of 4K movies on other hard drives. I would like to start sharing the 4K files with friends as well for those with 4K TVs and my gigabit fiber internet I'd hope is enough just afraid to try with SHIELD TV.  I keep both 1080p and 4K copies of all the 4K content so if not direct playing 4K it's starting with a 720p/1080p version that is easier to convert if needed.
  2. Mobile Plex Downloads - I do have Plex Pass so would like to be able to download movies from my library for on-the-go (iPhone/iPad) use which the Shield TV Pro 16GB I host my PMS on today can't do
  3. Windows 10 VM - no immediate plans to game, just be an extra computer and something I could potentially set to download torrents for transfer to main share.
  4. NAS - extra local storage for GF & myself to save files. Important stuff we backup on other external hard drives.

Hardware:

• Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
  • CPU: Intel 11600K - no OC, air cooling with Noctua Chromax NH-D15. Want faster base clocks vs 11600 non-K.
  • MOBO: TBD - Leaning towards a Z590 board for no particular reason but it's the latest and enables PCI-e 4.0 with Intel. Priorities here are HDMI (may be using iGPU to start), 2.5GB/s LAN or more, 4 x m.2 slots, 1+ x USB 2.0 in Back I/O for UNRAID flash drive and either USB-C or Thunderbolt just so I do have newer generation connectivity possible without add-on card.
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz (16GBx2) CAS 16
  • SSD: TBD-  For cache drives should it be one for read and a second for write in perfect world? The 3rd could be for Plex Metadata and 4th I could assign to be strictly for VM? Can Plex Metadata live on same m.2 drive as VM or should they be separate?  I figured since most Z590 boards have 2 Gen 4 m.2 slots I could use the Gen 4 slots for Plex Metadata and a VM and the Gen 3 slots for cache.
  • HDD: Starting with 6x16TB Seagate EXOS X16 with 2 in parity connected to LSI 9201-16i HBA card I am ordering to give me 64TB to start. I realize when active they will be loud but care more about them lasting in a 24/7 environment and it says when idle they are supposed to be quiet. Plan to add another 10 16TB drives over next 1-2 years to give me total of 192TB when all said and done
  • Optical Drive: LG WH16NS60 flashed to older firmware to be UHD-friendly housed in external enclosure connected via USB 3.0 since I don't want to give up potential HDD slots in case for optical drive
  • PSU: Corsair HX850 850W Platinum rated
    • I would like the 1,000W version so even if I added a 3070/3080 later and got big into games I wouldn't have problem having 16 7200rpm SATA drives and everything else but good luck finding inventory here in USA without some ridiculous markup from reseller
  • GPU: TBD - This is another area I'm really stuck which has me thinking I would try and start with just the iGPU on the new 11th gen chips. Current GPU supplies are awful and while I thought a P2200 would be perfect as main goal today is native unlocked Plex streams (not gaming) I am not sure if in 2021 that is still where I should be looking as they are still $400+.  I read about abilities to unlock NVIDIA cards so would like something that can handle at least 2-3 simultaneous 4K streams and another 3-4 1080p streams which may involve some transcoding due to format incompatibilities.  The odds are slim I would have 3 4K and 4 1080p streams going at the same time but only takes one time for me to be annoyed that even after spending all this money on other components I am trying to watch a movie and it keeps buffering.

As you can probably tell I'm definitely not necessarily going for a budget build but rather since the last time I built a PC of any kind was 15 years ago and I don't plan to regularly update outside of adding hard drives I'm comfortable to spend a bit more than is probably necessary to get bare minimum requirements met.  Always fun to geek out and splurge a little bit when it is something I know will be heavily used and that I can have a lot of fun putting together and setting up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I just pulled the trigger Friday and ordered everything from Newegg and Amazon after getting some responses on Plex forum.  GPUs are out of stock everywhere so I bought the cheapest EVGA card with 3 year warranty $40 to go through step up program (not in a rush so don't mind waiting) and at that time get either RTX 3060 XC 12GB (for additional VRAM) or something else if gaming becomes more priority.  Will use integrated graphics until then.  I would've been happy with 1650/1660 based on feedback I got but even those (used or new) are $400+ due to miners so prefer to spend that same money on much better card.

Gotta say I was surprised how big the Noctua NH-D15S is in person - like WOW! Knew it wasn't small but geez.  The Chromax version definitely is stunning to look at though!  The rest of this stuff should arrive over the next week.

I went with Meshify 2 XL vs Define 7 XL for increased airflow so HDDs stay nice and cool and will have to see how noise is if I want to swap out for a Define 7 XL instead which I've read is supposed to be quieter but still off all the 3.5" bays I'd want.

CASE - Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL w/ Dark Tint Window (no solid side panel version available) + 7x Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 140mm case fans
PSU - Corsair HX850 850w Platinum Rated
CPU - Intel 11600K 6-core + Noctua NH-D15S Chromax
MOBO - ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi
RAM - 64GB (4x16GB) Crucial Ballistix RGB CL16 DDR4 3600MHz (non-RGB version sold out)
SSD - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 (1TB Cache + 1TB Plex/Future VM)
HDD - 5x 12TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro (will run as 3 data/2 parity to start) + LSI 9201-16i for future expansion
OPTICAL - LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40K in USB 3.2 OWC Mercury Pro Optical Drive Enclosure

Can't wait for everything to get in so I can start building!

• 1 month later...