4U Rack Case

Mogo

Currently I have a Norco 4224 4U case using sata drives.  What would be an upgrade?  A supermicro case?  If so what case would people recommend that would work.  I want to be able to install an atx motherboard at the very minimum and install pci cards like a video card or HBA card etc...  Also 24 bay is the minimum but I want to try and find something that will be able to fully use the 30 drive limit that unraid has.  Thanks.

Edited by Mogo

I see you recommended the https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846BE2C-R1K23B.  Is there a 36 bay equivalent by supermicro?  Or would it make more sense to add a DAS 5 years from now if needed?  I also have a LSI 9305-24i card that I currently use in the Norco.  I assume the setup is the same with the 24 bay supermicro case you mentioned?  Just that the supermicro case is way better?

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Mogo

First, why you need so many drives? are they any 16TB or so with high density? if no, then you can think of just upgrade your drives first.

According a case - i have Norco 4224 for myself too, and it works very well for me. i'm on the way of downsizing now :)

next question is a case backplane. if you have 9305-24i and pair it with Supermicro SAS3 backplane with buit-in expander and databolt technology, then you can get much more bandwidth and connect more than 24 drives with no loosing max speed for drives. just read carefully case documentation about a backplanes used - SM have much of them. 

if you choose 36 drive version, then there is two backplanes with builtin expanders, so you can use your LSI card with both of them.

@JorgeB have very helpfull post with drive speed tests, see here 

Thanks I'll read through that.  I guess I don't want to waste the 3TB or 4TB drives I have as opposed to upgrading them to 16TB (I feel like it's wasted money).  I don't know what to do with the old drives if they aren't used anymore if I did upgrade them.  I'm not into selling parts.  I still have lots of slots for the Norco. and it is working good for me.  I guess I'm just trying to make sure I have a good upgrade path if something goes wrong with the norco since I only see bad stories about it online.  Just want to be prepared in case.  

I do not.  Just relying on the 1 parity drive right now.  I will upgrade to two parity drives at some future point.  I know parity is not a proper backup solution.  But other than doubling costs for having a second server (which is too expensive for me), I don't see any other option.

34 minutes ago, Mogo said:

I do not.

i think you can start then with this - make a backup server for your data if they are worth for you..

or start building new one and leave existing one as backup server. and you are right - parity is not a backup, keep this in mind.

SM cases are not cheap at all, and according drive sizes and price - here in Europe cost per TB are so close compared 4TB vs 16TB. with later you just need more investment at once..